Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Comment welcome. If anybodies interested in this mod. I'll give it up. Easy DIY.
Give it up.....please.

That's the best look I've seen for the taillights. Was going to go black, but that looks so much cleaner.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Yes, I can that do that. I prefer this look too. I will upload a pic of the Rubber gasket with the brand name too. I will post a brief explanation on how to do it later this evening, I'm at work now. If you already have the lights out of the bumper. Its very easy to install and just takes a few minutes. And It only cost me $7.99 + tax for the gasket. Also, You will need a little 100% silicon. If you wish to PM. w/ph#. I can call you later this evening and explain in detail.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
There is a utube video out on this and didnt see the guy using silicone
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexxan View Post
There is a utube video out on this and didnt see the guy using silicone
I didn't see the video. The gasket has a sticky tape on the backside. But I used a little silicon because the stick tape doesn't really adhear to the rim of the light housing very well. It does stick. But I wanted a little better hold. I would imagine you really don't have to use it. I also used it the seal the two ends where the rubber come together. You probably don't need it there either. This is the way I did it. But you can improvise...

p.s. Do you have the link to the video? Might help others...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
mattbaer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Bone, Like the look. looking forward to the DIY
mattbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Looks amazing on black cars, mine were off the day I bought the car. theyll never go back on lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
I took a pic of my taillights with one bezel off and the other on, will try to put the pic up later. IMO it looks better with them than without them on SIM bc you can see the gap clearly.
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
ttexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
I took a pic of my taillights with one bezel off and the other on, will try to put the pic up later. IMO it looks better with them than without them on SIM bc you can see the gap clearly.
You have to put the black gasket between to look better I will find the video and post in a sec
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
ttexxan

Here ya go this is part two of video...show putting trim in

Oh and this is one guy put together about removing but I have heard you dont have to take apart the bumper
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexxan View Post
Here ya go this is part two of video...show putting trim in

Oh and this is one guy put together about removing but I have heard you dont have to take apart the bumper
yea you dont have to remove the bumper to remove them

thanks for the video this will help alot
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
That looks simple enough.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

That is not the way i did it. (see video) I actually removed the tail lights.And form fitted the rubber gasket around the lights. Read on.
When I first started investigating my options. I knew that I wanted to fill the gap w/ a black rubber gasket. But I didn't know what to use or where to purchase something like I wanted. I didn't know what I wanted. I just knew when I found it. I'd know... its what I wanted. I hope that kinda makes since. Anyway, looked around at a few auto stores. With no luck. As I was heading over to the marina shop. I stopped at Home Depot just to check there insulation dept. (never made it to the marina) As I was walking down the isle. there is was. Its a soft black rubber gasket. And It states right on the cover of the box. Made for marine and auto use. Fantastic.It comes in a 10foot roll. Its 19/32" wide and 5/16" thick. (The gap around the socket is about 1/4"+/-) Its also hollow. The top is rippled like the top of a lower case "m" (except it has about 6 ripples) the bottom is flat and it comes w/sticky tap.
Installation: After fitting the rubber around the light. Useing the sticky tap to hold it to the light housing and cutting to proper length. I fasten it where the light sock and the lense comes together. I dry fitted it back into the bumper socket. To see how it looked. Once I was satisfied. Removed light socket and I put a few drops of silicon behind the rubber gasket to the light socket. After drying, I reinstall and I was done. I did not have to cut off the tab on the bottom of the light. Nor did I Black Marker anything... One last thing. You could put the seam (were the two pieces come together) on the top or the bottom of the light socket. I put it on the top. Because the seam is almost completely hidden under the black plastic cover. If you look hard you can see it. Also, when you take the bezel off of the outside lights. You can stick your finger in the gap that exists between the top of the light socket and the top of the bumper socket. Check it out for yourself...No problem because this gasket will fill that too. Can't remember what is called. I'll find out when I get home today and post product name. I will also take a couple or close up pic. To better illistrate. I wish I would have video'd it while I was installing. If someone from southeast michigan Wayne county is interested in this mod. I would gladly help you and video it too for archive purposes. This is a very easy mod. And its much better than stuffing the gap with vinyl. You may have also notices on the top of his tail lights. (video) The top of the light housing was still visable. Thats why he used the black marker. No you will not see the top of the sockets with my mod.

Ok here are a coupe of pics. Sorry that the install is complete.
Anyway the name of the rubber gasket is "MD" All Climate Marine/Automotive Black Rubber Weatherseal. Its in a purple package. It also comes in white. And it only cost $7.99 plus tax.

Bone...

Last edited by Bone; 02-13-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Updated pics
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Bump
Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
n-shane@hotmail.com

Drives: 2010 MAROOOOOO
cool cool. little further back pics for a finsih look to compare please! 8)