Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Thinking about making the entire exhaust system 2.5

I know Blade has it done, but I can't really tell much from the clip about the sound, as is the nature of trying to record precise audio. I have the ARH LT headers and cats and MRT V1 axle back. Just wondering what exactly I'll get with making the mid pipes with 2.5. How would it effect the sound, just louder or louder and deeper? I'm afraid it will become too raspy. So Blade, post away
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
How big is it now? 2" or 2.25"?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
How big is it now?
The mid pipes are whatever the stock pipes are, which I think is 2.25.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Well if you hear devildoc's compared to mine you will notice the big difference. You will also notice most of the difference in sound in the interior videos. You can actually tell the sound is a little muffled when you are listening to the exhaust while sitting in the car.

On the outside, I don't think you will notice much, especially since you have the MRT 1.0. The V1s are so frikkin loud you won't notice on the outside, but there is a difference between my setup and doc's.

HP wise, I am still not sure how it affected my car. I have gotten to mrray's reported numbers, but this summer has been so hot, the day I got to it, it was still pretty hot and humid. I will get it dyno'ed again in the fall, and will no for sure how the car runs at normal DA.

The only thing I know is that when the SS guys made the .5 inch improvement in their pipes, they noticed decent gains as opposed to leaving the stock pipes in. Some guys tried going more than .5 in, but it didn't do anything.

One last thing you should know, is that swapping that section out for a bigger pipe takes some fab work. So its probably another hour or 2 of work by the shop.

Kinda wished you were living close by so you could just hear the car in person. Maybe you wanna wait till the second C5fest, it will probably be out west

Best way to compare is to have my interior part of the video ready to go with doc's and mrray in other browser windows and just keep going back and forth and you will notice the sound difference.

Remember you are the first guy with the V1 to do this.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
will be loud! the set up will be like how mine is just i have pypes M-80's but they are close to the V1s if not a little bigger. I had JBA shorties before and when i changed th BBKs with high-flows it got a lot louder, that said i need to quiet mine down a bit. you can tell when the VVT starts to really get working it goes from a rumble to a bark a loud one.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I don't know. I asked D/T headers and at least with the shortys they said to keep 2.25" pipes as the are optimum on the v6.I said I have 14" magnaflows and a resonated x pipe already to to lower the tone and didn't want to go in the other direction so that maybe part of it. They said 2.5" pipes would make it sound ricey or higher pitched, not lower pitched, but with long tubes maybe not? He used the "fart can" on a Honda analogy.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Well thats exactly what I don't want to do! My car is plenty loud now with MRT V1 and ARH LT's, what I'd like to do is get a deeper done, maybe I need to look into a resonated x pipe.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Well thats exactly what I don't want to do! My car is plenty loud now with MRT V1 and ARH LT's, what I'd like to do is get a deeper done, maybe I need to look into a resonated x pipe.
I did the resonated x pipe to get rid of the drone inside the cabin from the magnaflows.I was a bit suprised I had that much but with the A6 trans in in town driving with light gas in the 1-2000 rpm range it was loud,yet from outside and driving down our street the car was quiet like stock! If I used the paddle shifters and was able to run the car through that low rpm range and then shift there was no drone.
The x pipe got rid of alot of it with the sound now smooth and low toned, but now a little louder with the modded Airaid box, sounds good.
Will see what the shorty headers do, although I was told it shouldn't change it much, will see. I hope it gives a lower growl like scrmmg's car does!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote