Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
V6 Bolt ons FAQS

I am surprised that every forum does not have one. It seems there is a limit to what I can find online, especially with specific questions. I searched this forum and couldn't find what I was looking for. If I see general question threads, I will edit and append to this thread, with the questions and summary of the answers in bold. I have some questions, hopefully without going too much into forced induction forum topics.

1. Is it worthwhile to have dual CAI for v6?

More air = more HP... to a point. I know some late 3rd generation Camaros had dual cold air intakes. I would imagine that's a good thing. But you would have to wire the new Camaros to do so, which I wouldn't think is a easy chore. So I think it's a great idea in theory, but you don't want to do it. Go with the Injen True CAI. I think it's the best. - Brownie

2. Since it is possible to have dual cold air intake, is it possible to have Air Ram and Air intake at the same time similar to how a sequential turbo would work.

It's possible, but see above response. The "ram" air, like the 4th generation Firebirds (if that is what you are referring to), has been proven to only work at ridiculous speeds. The ram air really acts as a cold air intake. So once again, I would just go with the Injen True CAI. If you are talking about short ram, then you need to think about heat soak. In which case you would get something that blocks the heat off from the rest of the engine bay. Of the current short ram set-ups, the Injen True CAI outperformed them all on the dyno. - Brownie

no intake can make boost like any kind of FI. Sequential turbos are a stupid plan in my opinion. and have never seen any setups like it except online. - Sincity

3. Would an electric AC, which would reduce car weight and power loss to engine, be considered a bolt on? Would they be as efficient?

4. Is CAI worthless without having uninterrupted and/or new exhaust system

The CAI is still worth it, even without an exhaust system. Although, I do recommend getting a sweet exhaust system
- Brownie

4. Does just converting to long headers dramatically increase HP?

Yes. But you want to increase airflow with the CAI, axel/cat-back exhaust, and a TUNE if you are doing LT headers. - Brownie

Yes, according to the Manufacturer dyno's and show good gains on independent dynos also. - Sin city

5. I think I read somewhere, on this site, that CAI is a waste of money if one plans to get a turbocharger. When one has a turbocharger does the CAI become obsolete?

But the turbo will likely change the configuration of the intake set-up. Thus, making it useless - Brownie

6. How is one supposed to choose where they get their bolt ons from? Any one can recommend what they use, but is there a best combo/set of bolt ons, even if each would be from a different company?

I say Injen true CAI, and beyond that, I don't know. For performance, you would go LT headers, high flow cats, cat-back exhaust, and a necessary tune. - Brownie

There are many forum sponsors that sell V6 upgrades, I have an Airaid intake V2 BBK longtubes and a catback and will be tuning the car for basic power mod, no best combo has been found, nor will it ever be thats just the way the car modifying world works
- Sincity

7. Does diameter make exhaust pipes better performance pipes?

Yes, to a point. You still want backpressure. So don't open it too much. - Brownie

yes it can be too big or too small. - Sincity

8. Why doesn't any one discuss functional hood scoop for v6's? Are they not worth it?

They are. But no one has designed an intake/hood set-up, yet? I think? I haven't found one yet? Anyone do this, yet? - Brownie

9. If aftermarket bolt ons increase fuel economy and performance, why doesn't GM invest in making better parts, or using a company for the bolt ons?

Because they want to keep things simple on a mass production level. It keeps cost down. Not all of the Camaro buyers want the sound, etc. Plus we want to be able to customize for personal preference, and because there is no definite "correct" answer. - Brownie

Keep noise down, emissions, $$$$, all sorts of reasons. - Sincity

10. Why isn't Christina Hendricks my wife?

Because she's my wife - Brownie

lol... I don't think I'll bother answering. - Jag

- Sincity

Last edited by WayneBrady; 08-31-2010 at 03:21 PM.
WayneBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Is this real?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

I apologize if my automotive knowledge is not as high as yours, but if you want to help me with answers I appreciate it. If that question is sarcastic then I think it is rhetorical question.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneBrady View Post
I apologize if my automotive knowledge is not as high as yours, but if you want to help me with answers I appreciate it. If that question is sarcastic then I think it is rhetorical question.
Don't worry, there are some awesome V6 guys on this forum that will step in here and give you some great info.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Gea
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Hey Man!
Here is a HUGE list on available bolt-ons etc for the V6

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
My question wasn't meant to be taken sarcastically at all. It was a completely real question, "Is this real?"

From your response, I can tell that it is. I didn't mean anything personal by it. I am one of those helpful guys. To prove this, I will answer all of the questions that I can.

1. More air = more HP... to a point. I know some late 3rd generation Camaros had dual cold air intakes. I would imagine that's a good thing. But you would have to wire the new Camaros to do so, which I wouldn't think is a easy chore. So I think it's a great idea in theory, but you don't want to do it. Go with the Injen True CAI. I think it's the best.

2. It's possible, but see above response. The "ram" air, like the 4th generation Firebirds (if that is what you are referring to), has been proven to only work at ridiculous speeds. The ram air really acts as a cold air intake. So once again, I would just go with the Injen True CAI. If you are talking about short ram, then you need to think about heat soak. In which case you would get something that blocks the heat off from the rest of the engine bay. Of the current short ram set-ups, the Injen True CAI outperformed them all on the dyno.

3. Electric fan? Where? Don't these cars already have electric fans? I have a friend who has a '70 Vette where the fan is connected to the crank. I don't think they operate like that anymore, though.

3. The CAI is still worth it, even without an exhaust system. Although, I do recommend getting a sweet exhaust system. I'm going DT shorty headers to Flowmaster exhaust. I say both the Flowmaster AMT and MRT 1.0 sound awesome.

4. Does just converting to long headers dramatically increase HP? Yes. But you want to increase airflow with the CAI, axel/cat-back exhaust, and a TUNE if you are doing LT headers.

5. No. But the turbo will likely change the configuration of the intake set-up. Thus, making it useless.

6. The answer to this question starts wars here. I say Injen true CAI, and beyond that, I don't know. For performance, you would go LT headers, high flow cats, cat-back exhaust, and a necessary tune.

7. Yes, to a point. You still want backpressure. So don't open it too much.

8. They are. But no one has designed an intake/hood set-up, yet? I think? I haven't found one yet? Anyone do this, yet?

9. Because they want to keep things simple on a mass production level. It keeps cost down. Not all of the Camaro buyers want the sound, etc. Plus we want to be able to customize for personal preference, and because there is no definite "correct" answer.

10. Because she's my wife.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
1) ......? Do you mean an intake with 2 filters? if so, no kit exists like this.

2) no intake can make boost like any kind of FI. Sequential turbos are a stupid plan in my opinion. and have never seen any setups like it except online.

3) The fan is electric

4)Yes, according to the Manufacturer dyno's and show good gains on independent dynos also.

5)yes

6) There are many forum sponsors that sell V6 upgrades, I have an Airaid intake V2 BBK longtubes and a catback and will be tuning the car for basic power mod, no best combo has been found, nor will it ever be thats just the way the car modifying world works........(aint it just great hahah)

7) yes it can be too big or too small.

8) Dont think anyone on the V6 form has Done a Functional Ram Air, I have thought about it but they are pricey. most of the Hood talk is on the Cosmetic mod page.

9) keep noise down, emissions, $$$$, all sorts of reasons.

10)
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I'll answer as best as I can... but some of your questions are basically never asked here.. but here goes. Also, you have two question 3's... so im just going to re-adjust the numbers.

1) Don't know
2) Don't know
3) Don't know
4) CAI improves even without other bolt-ons
5) Yes, LT Headers increase HP
6) If you go Turbo, you aren't using the same kind of CAI... so yes, it's a waste to buy a bolt-on CAI that is currently on the market
7) There are currently many selections for bolt-ons... and there is no "Best" there are too many variables for what the user wants... Power, Look, Sound, and Price... it's up to you.
8) Yes specific piping diameter changes your performance AND sound.
9) Depends what you hood scoop is for... Intercooler? Or ram air...
10) GM is to make cars for the everyday man... if they invest into more power and fuel economy, you might not be able to afford the car. Why would you even ask this question... modding is more fun. Also you get to control where you want to spend the money. Forced Induction, Suspension, etc... some people may just want Power, some may want handling, some just want a nice cruising car.
11) lol... I don't think I'll bother answering.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
@ jagan323 , Dude its 12:00am here what time is it at top gears test track?

love car forms hahah!! Im actually watching top gear now, one of my favs with the MKV GTI.

Hows the stig
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

thanks for help. I didnt mean fan in that question, I meant AC unit. I know EV cars us them and they supposedly weigh less. I didn't mean the fan used with radiator unit. The current AC takes away engine power and drops rpms quickly. The M6 feels different when the AC is on blast. To me at least.

I have a questions for a few answer which I will post after school and work.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
1.Go with the Injen True CAI. I think it's the best. His opinion because he has one.

2. It's possible, but see above response. The "ram" air, like the 4th generation Firebirds (if that is what you are referring to), has been proven to only work at ridiculous speeds. The ram air really acts as a cold air intake. So once again, I would just go with the Injen True CAI. If you are talking about short ram, then you need to think about heat soak. In which case you would get something that blocks the heat off from the rest of the engine bay. Of the current short ram set-ups, the Injen True CAI outperformed them all on the dyno. Not exactly. Only 4(?) were tested and the test gains were open to interpretation. If I remember they didn't have the highest gains and they were all within a reasonable amount to be close.

3. Electric fan? Where? Don't these cars already have electric fans? I have a friend who has a '70 Vette where the fan is connected to the crank. I don't think they operate like that anymore, though. I'm sure he meant the waterpump. Either way, these do have electric fans. I don't know about an AC option.

3. The CAI is still worth it, even without an exhaust system. Although, I do recommend getting a sweet exhaust system. I'm going DT shorty headers to Flowmaster exhaust. I say both the Flowmaster AMT and MRT 1.0 sound awesome.

4. Does just converting to long headers dramatically increase HP? Yes. But you want to increase airflow with the CAI, axel/cat-back exhaust, and a TUNE if you are doing LT headers. Again, not exactly. These all will maximize the overall gains, but LT headers will by themselves be a nice gain.

5. No. But the turbo will likely change the configuration of the intake set-up. Thus, making it useless.

6. The answer to this question starts wars here. I say Injen true CAI, and beyond that, I don't know. For performance, you would go LT headers, high flow cats, cat-back exhaust, and a necessary tune. Everybody has an opinion. It's the reason we all don't have the same car.

7. Yes, to a point. You still want backpressure. So don't open it too much.

8. They are. But no one has designed an intake/hood set-up, yet? I think? I haven't found one yet? Anyone do this, yet? I've seen some hoods that open to the area where some of the optional CAI's are sealed to the hood. Not even sure if they'd show much improvement.
Not to start a war. Everyone has their own opinions. Asking these questions are going to get different answers. Some have their own numbers to back things up. Some are going off what they've read here. I hope you get what you're looking for as it's what we're all in search of.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Vegas View Post
@ jagan323 , Dude its 12:00am here what time is it at top gears test track?

love car forms hahah!! Im actually watching top gear now, one of my favs with the MKV GTI.

Hows the stig
lol, the Stig... well i'm not supposed to tell you this.. but, I am the Stig... and I'm doing fine =D LOL. Yeah, I love topgear too.. awesome show.

As for the OP, I would recommending you stay in these bolt-on sections of the forums. You will learn a lot... half of your questions are already talked about, so just search and read the posts. =)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

So i think i will save for

Injen true CAI
BBK long headers with (high CAT flow?)
SLP exhaust with square tips

Reducing weight increases horsepower, or torque, or both? Any of yall considered carbon fiber bodies/kits?