Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
mattbaer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
RS headlights and DOT markings?

I took my car to have the VA state inspection done this morning. The guy doing the inspection said he could not find the DOT stamp on the stock RS headlights so he said he was going to have to fail it. He said I will not fail it but contact the dealership and find out where the DOT stamp is on the headlights are and bring it back next sat and then I'll pass it.
So does anyone know where the DOT stamp is? I did send an email to the dealership asking if they knew. I figured I would ask here also.
mattbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Actually the only DOT markings I see on any of the lights is the rear /side red marker lights. they are probably hidden on top of the light and you'll have to get a screwdriver to find them. No sense arguing with a DOT inspector doing his job..not going to win thats for sure.
Once the DMV tried to fail my GMC Jimmy back years ago saying that the factory glass on my drivers side and passenger side front windows needed a waiver or get new windows. I was like WTF? its factory solar ray glass how am I going to do that its the way they come??? He was thankfully overruled by a more senior inspector.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
mattbaer

I told him if he wanted to take the headlights out to look them over he could but you'll have to take the front off first. That's when he told me to contact the dealer. The dealer said They are not sure where the markings are but told me to bring it to them and they will pass it being they know what the stock headlight look like on the camaros.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
SILVERHAWK

Well, here the dealer passes/inspects a new vehicle which is good for 5 years. After that the vehicle has to go to DMV and go thru the inspection lanes once every other year. I will say I've never seen them look that closely at the lens covers unless they have be altered (say with tinting material). They just want to see them lit up and as far as the headlights aimed reasonably correctly meaning I've never seen them pull out a machine to test the angle.

Each way has its good and bad points, but I think taking your vehicle to a repair center or dealer to have it inspected leads itself to more corruption. Meaning at least DMV lanes don't cost anything for the inspection and aren't motivated in any way to have you make unnecessary repairs. MMM.... Sir your brakes need to be replaced that will cost you $650.00 or you fail inspection and lose your $100.00 what? been there and done that in PA years ago

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 05-14-2011 at 04:50 PM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
mattbaer

Here in VA we have to do it once a year. As far as I know DMV does not do inspections. Just about every gas station will do it or take it to a dealership.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Correct, dmv does not do them in Va.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
SILVERHAWK

Like I said good and bad points to each method. Here you can take your vehicle up to 3 months early at anytime and keep the same expiration date---so that way you try and get an off day without long lines. At least this State is small enough to get to one of the lanes its not a long trip. More convenient your way but then again you have to be able to trust who's doing it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
I would be going elsewhere for your inspection....
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote