Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Catfish
Catfish

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #361
I'm getting an oil smell too. Same issue, mostly while sitting still with vent, a/c, or heat on. Almost at 3000 miles. Started immediately after first oil change.
Here's my question, has anyone had the oil smell, then installed a good catch can, and had the smell go away due to better PVC ventilation? I have an R/X catch can on order. Really hope this fixes the problem. Will let everyone know when I get it in and install it.
Performance Mods to Date:
Rotofab cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers w/ Calico KoolBlack ceramic coating, Kooks high flow cats, Corsa 3" X-pipe cat-back exhaust, 160 degree thermostat, 2.50" Supercharger Pulley, PCM Catch Can, Rotofab Supercharger Reservoir, 1000cc Injectors, MSD Boost-a-Pump,Tuned by PCM of NC
604 RWHP & 622 RWT !!

Also, 2001 Silverado Z71, Pewter w/ Extended Cab & 2013 Chevy Cruise LTZ/RS White
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I'm getting an oil smell too. Same issue, mostly while sitting still with vent, a/c, or heat on. Almost at 3000 miles. Started immediately after first oil change.
Here's my question, has anyone had the oil smell, then installed a good catch can, and had the smell go away due to better PVC ventilation? I have an R/X catch can on order. Really hope this fixes the problem. Will let everyone know when I get it in and install it.
Catch can will not help with the smell.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
that was cam's car and it kept blowing the rear main because of excessive crankcase pressure.
That's the one, but I thought they could see oil dripping down the back of the block, and THOUGHT it was the rear main, replaced it, but it continued, then they thought the block was porous, and finally found the bad PVC fitting almost by accident when someone pulled it off and looked inside?

Then again the memory isn't what it used to be.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
DLUX

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Seems a little funny that a lot of us are noticing this after our first oil change and no oil was spilled anywhere either. That's wierd. Why would it start happening all of a sudden?
DLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #33
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLUX View Post
Seems a little funny that a lot of us are noticing this after our first oil change and no oil was spilled anywhere either. That's wierd. Why would it start happening all of a sudden?
Don't forget that just because you can't see where any oil spilled and nothing is dripping on the ground doesn't necessarily mean they didn't spill some and it when down ito never land somewhere in/on the engine although even if it had, you'd think it would burn off after a while and dissapear.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
DLUX

I did my own, and I know I didn't spill any. Was super careful, and wiped drain plug and filter too. When it was draining it didn't get any on any crossmembers either. No oil anywhere.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLUX View Post
I did my own, and I know I didn't spill any. Was super careful, and wiped drain plug and filter too. When it was draining it didn't get any on any crossmembers either. No oil anywhere.
There is defiantly some issue, I can't see it being spilled oil as I looked all over and don't see any.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I found it, thanks.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2415744

I am sending all this info to my GM rep and SM.
Happy to help and good luck. I got nowhere with either.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #37
DLUX

Gotta luv it One Bad, GOTTA LUV IT! Same results I've had through the years.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
That's the one, but I thought they could see oil dripping down the back of the block, and THOUGHT it was the rear main, replaced it, but it continued, then they thought the block was porous, and finally found the bad PVC fitting almost by accident when someone pulled it off and looked inside?

Then again the memory isn't what it used to be.
yeah thats the one. the whole issue was caused by exessive crankcase presssure though. they had the whole motor out may have even replaced the motor.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #39
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
did you order a single check or dual? single will not do anthing different that stock.

dual will help evacuate the crackase at Wot but not much at normal RPM.

I honeslty don't know if the people having seal issue are due to pressure or just bad part/bad install.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
yeah thats the one. the whole issue was caused by exessive crankcase presssure though. they had the whole motor out may have even replaced the motor.
I thinbk they did replace the motor (wish I could find the old thread) and the problem remained which had them stumped.

But it was the faulty PCV connector that was causing the crankcase pressure to build?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I thinbk they did replace the motor (wish I could find the old thread) and the problem remained which had them stumped.

But it was the faulty PCV connector that was causing the crankcase pressure to build?
I think this is the thread you're looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236658
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #42
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I think this is the thread you're looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236658
That's it, thanks.

Post 261
Resolution
The Service Technician and the Service Manager had to consult an engineer via a telephone call and they all came to the conclusion that it had to be the PCV System. They checked that all the hoses were not blocked and in fact functioning, but inspected where they come together. They noticed the hoses come together at a metal can and after inspecting this they found that a rubber grommet which connects this can to the intake manifold had a mis-punched hole. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

The sum of this entire repair is approaching a month long and a hair under $17,000 in parts of warranty work caused by one mis-manufactured rubber grommet which probably cost $0.40 and a PCV System that could've been replaced by popping the hood in twenty minutes if properly diagnosed.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs. Those of you who had called out the PCV System as a likely source of the problem, you called it correctly