Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
kaos_ss

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Don't trust my Service Department

I live in an area that only has one Chevrolet dealership and I've had some horrible experiences with the service department. Recently, my ZL1 started making a "humming" noise which seemed like it is coming from the rear end. I saw other posts on the forum about a bulletin that describes a similar sound and suggest changing the rear end oil. So this morning (8am)I dropped off the car at the dealership, explained the problem, and showed them a copy of the bulletin.

I didn't hear anything all day so at 5, I called and was told that I mechanic drove the car and he determined that the noise wasn't normal. But he wasn't sure what the problem was so that they were waiting for another technician to drive the car. At 5:45 I get a call back and was told that the second mechanic thinks the sound is coming from the differential so that they want to "drop the rear end" to see what is causing the noise. But because it is a few days from Thanksgiving that they would like me to go pick up the car and take it back next Monday... because if they started working on it tomorrow it wouldn't be done before the holidays. They said they wouldn't want me without a car for an entire week.

So I don't understand why an entire day was spent just to confirm the "hum." And why don't they start with the oil change to see if that solves the issue rather than take the entire thing apart. And not to be an ass but I don't even trust them taking it apart! It gets so frustrating. I know problems can exist even if the car is new but damn it sucks!

Any suggestions?? Or comments!??

“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”
kaos_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
Go to a different dealer with the bulletin and see if they will change the oil. ...OR tell your dealer to perform the bulletin first, and if the noise doesn't go away, you'll bring it back.
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
I don't know the history of your "horrible experiences" however I would be pleased that they didn't just change the oil and sent me on my way....my experience has been that by the time you hear a noise the damage has already been done.

Also, why wouldn't they supply you with a rental...when I had warranty work done they gave me a rental until the car was ready....I certainly wouldn't be comfortable driving the care over the holidays when the rearend doesn't sound "normal".
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
Also, why wouldn't they supply you with a rental...
+1
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
+1
+2
My dealer just gave me a rental because I'm having a new MyLink radio unit put in (tomorrow - when it gets delivered) and they didn't want to put it back together so I could drive it home (and I agreed).

But I really like my dealership - Prince of Albany, GA.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I agree with trying another dealer. However, I will say that waiting an entire day, if not more just to diagnose the problem certainly isn't out of the norm at a busy shop. Also, like those above have said, I believe a rental is in order.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
They can't just take your word and follow the bulletin. They have to confirm it for themselves.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
His area has only one chevy dealership...I wonder how far he would have to go to find another...
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
kaos_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
They can't just take your word and follow the bulletin. They have to confirm it for themselves.
I agree and definitely understand. I wouldn't expect them to take my word. But if they have determined that it is making a sound, wouldn't it make sense to change the oil first to see if that solves the problem?

I guess I'm just worried that they won't be able to put the car back together correctly!!

My first Camaro was a 2010 SS and after 4,000 miles the transmission went out. They pulled the transmission and tried replacing parts inside. When I got the car back it was worse then when it went in! I don't want the same thing happening here.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
kaos_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
+2
My dealer just gave me a rental because I'm having a new MyLink radio unit put in (tomorrow - when it gets delivered) and they didn't want to put it back together so I could drive it home (and I agreed).

But I really like my dealership - Prince of Albany, GA.
Wow! Sounds like a cool dealer. I was told that despite the sound they determined that the car is drive-able and it shouldn't hurt anything driving it until next week when I can take it back again.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
I have changed my rear differential fluid already twice and it is real easy.
Make sure you put the slip differential additive as well.
Takes only a few minutes to do.
Also when doing it yourself make sure you open upper bolt first!
Good luck.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Buy some AMSOIL Posi Lube and be done with it. On my 2011 it was changed 3X and came back every 2000 miles. Changed to AMSOIL and no more problems. It is Posi clutches

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
if you dont trust them, then certaintly dont have them do anything on your car. you have a very expensive car, and if i were you, i would seek out another dealer or call GM directly. i agree that on a new car things may happen, but you want a dealer you trust and feel comfortable with. if you dont, you got to move on to anohter or it will always bug you.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
DocMartens

Drives: '14 1SS/RS LS3
I recently bought a new Camaro too 14 and I am hearing a noise from the shift knob that is annoying, It is louder when I accelerate. When I hold tight on the shift knob the noise quiets down. I am frustrated with this too because it is brand new and now has only 150 miles. My dealer ordered a part and I hope it fixes it. I also have to have the rear diffuser replaced for cosmetic reasons, large white spots. OP, hope you get your noise fixed and have better luck