Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Another idea... Before we had RGB strips for foot-well lighting, we used some of our light pipes to extend the light from single, ice blue LEDs across the foot-well area.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181339

Worked great for subtle illumination!
Those are pretty neat. I may looking into adding ABL in my car across the doors and dash one day.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Hey Camarol, I believe we met at C5 Fest in front of the Comfort Suites on Saturday evening

The tubes I want to run aren't available in RGB, but no worries, I decided I want red anyway. That's a really awesome setup you have there, BTW!

I'm wiring most everything in a manner that looks or operates like factory, mostly because my car gets driven a lot and all the storage space counts!

If I get too carried away one day I would like to make a switch panel that goes under the radio where the junk tray/4 pack gauges go.
Totally understand...Just think long term whatever you do...Dont want to be in there rewiring again....Been there done that...I used pod lights for my footwells and worked out extremely well but is only red. Im currently doing rear foot wells and just using RGB strips. Tubes are not needed to get the job done
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Not sure if you guys figured out rear footwells yet, but actually very easy...When you lift up rear seat just zip tie two RGB strands in place on either side where passengers sit. I have seen some just use the double sided tape. There is a lip on the rear seat this works perfect for. Run your wires and done or tap into front footwells.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
My initial plan was to make some hangers that would hook onto the carpet under the rear seat and hold them tight in the corner where the floor and seat meet. Haven't worked out any concrete details as I don't have lights on hand yet.

Sounds like a great idea you have.

I am actually looking at the 6MM Oznium bolts like those for the console (two inside) and the 16MM for the glove box.
I just put velcro on the back of my LED strips and velcroed them to the bottom of front the seat. I would eventually like to figure out a better way of mounting them though.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Sewing them seems to be the best way that I have seen, so far, for that. Maybe a single stitch, every few inches. Easily reversible, too.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
lynxone

Drives: 2012 2ss 45th anniversary edition
Were you wanting orange but just having difficulty finding them? You might consider looking at the led light suppliers for pinball machines. They make them in a diverse selection of mounting options (even flexible ones) and they all fit right into the mini bulb sockets (those are easy and cheap as well). You can find all kinds of color choices imaginable. Here's a link to one of many suppliers for the pinball market.
http://www.cointaker.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Careful. Pinball machines seem to use 6.3V bulbs.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #22
SimpleGreen

Thanks for all the suggestions, etc.

I ordered my lights last night. Should be here in a few days. Four foot well lights (in red) my glove box light and a center console light plus a nice switch. Also got an orange rubber duck with horns and a single blue 5MM LED - needed $3.49 in random stuff to finish off the exact amount left on my rebate card, LOL.

To finish the interior I will add some red LED's in the dome light (in addition to the stock incandescent light) that will either have its own overhead switch or come on with the foot wells, a small light to help find the door handles at night (silly passengers), lights in the map pockets, and light on the bottom of the doors to hit the ground when they open - those will either be LED strips or the 'Camaro' projectors.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #23
SimpleGreen

Lights came in today.

I'm still undecided on switch mounting location as I'm going to need a spot for at least three switches, so I just tied the foot well lights into the dome circuit and capped off my other switch wires to use later once I decide.

Got the front foot wells in, going to do the rears tomorrow and neaten everything up and clean the interior. I also did the center console light tonight. Will do the glove box light tomorrow.

Video of console light:

Next plans:

Interior

-Puddle lights to illuminate the interior door handle buckets
-Map pocket lights
-Overhead red spot lights (hidden on either side of the factory dome bulb) w/ independent switch.
-Courtesy door lights on bottom of door.

Under Hood
-Strip on bottom of strut tower brace
-Three strips at front of engine bay (center, left, right)
-Grille (two or three lights)
-Cowl (soft glow under hood cowl)