Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #1037
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/13/autos/gm-camaro-recall/

Apparently the car can stop running while driving. It caused 13 deaths in the Chevy Cobalt...
More data: 11 of those 13 deaths 'caused' by the key being turned off were also alcohol and drug related. Weird how that little tidbit doesn't make it into the spectacular eyeball-grabbing story, huh?

I have to give it to the news media... it is MUCH more exciting to IMPLY that "the car just shuts off all by itself and explodes/hurls you straight into a wall to your death" than the truth... *if* you bump the key in just the right way, with just enough force, the key MAY rotate to the 'off' position, and *if* you are too feeble to steer and brake safely to the side of the road, THEN you might have an accident.

Shocking. It is amazing that any of us Camaro drivers are still alive to tell the tale of driving these Death-mobiles.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #1038
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWZL1 View Post
I don't understand why a recall has to downgrade the quality or exclusivity of the Camaro. Why not retrofit them with the keyless entry system that is in the Corvette. That would be sure to make everyone happy and add value to the car instead of devaluing it.

LOL on exclusivity, my Spark has the same switchblade type fob... And people complained when the Camaro was switched to a corporate steering wheel... Most of GM's newer cars were going to that design.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #1039
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
It is stuck at the top... of the 'Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls' Forum. Not the general discussions.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Also, if this community didn't catch wind of it in over 4 days than this site wouldn't even be worth visiting.
Just trying not to bash today, Tuesday's are my "try and be nice" day lol

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #1040
Da2ss

Drives: Blueray metallic 2ss
This recall is not related to the other Chevy ignitions switch recall is a knee jerk reaction I'm not giving up my switch blade unless its something cooler
Da2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #1041
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
That pushbutton start is sounding more and more like it would have been better after all. lmao
Someone would be picking their nose and accidentially hit the start button, causing the car to shut off and the key fob to eject across the front seat, causing another mass recall.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #1042
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
My knee is not close to it either. Going to depend in what the key looks like
Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #1043
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
LOL on exclusivity, my Spark has the same switchblade type fob... And people complained when the Camaro was switched to a corporate steering wheel... Most of GM's newer cars were going to that design.
I was pretty sad when I found out I had to get the corporate steering wheel.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #1044
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
No problems when i had my 2010 SS. Seems like Gm is going down the drain with all the shit that is going on with the company lol.

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1045
TN 2010 SS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
I'm sure the whole push button start thing has been mentioned countelss times but since GM wont do this, how about GM offer us an option to either do their recall solution or offer owners the push button/proximity system as another option but at a fraction of the cost. If it would cost $800 for the system I think it would be fair to pay something like $200-$250 as an upgrade to GM's recall solution. I'd be down for this. Anyone else? GM Customer Service, what are your thoughts about this?
I had already thought about this too. I'm not holding my breath that GM would do it, but the technology is surely there to build a push button start kit to replace the keyed ignition, with a proximity remote. I would pay a reasonable price to have that, instead of the dumb key/fob replacement. And, it would foster good will from Camaro owners, many of whom probably don't have much of that toward GM right now. Based on the poll numbers here, they may have maybe 300-400,000 Camaro owners who won't do the recall.
TN 2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #1046
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2010 SS View Post
I had already thought about this too. I'm not holding my breath that GM would do it, but the technology is surely there to build a push button start kit to replace the keyed ignition, with a proximity remote. I would pay a reasonable price to have that, instead of the dumb key/fob replacement. And, it would foster good will from Camaro owners, many of whom probably don't have much of that toward GM right now. Based on the poll numbers here, they may have maybe 300-400,000 Camaro owners who won't do the recall.
The proximity fob and push button in no failsafe either as long as we're splitting hairs on safety here. A member just recently posted up a story about that very set up on a Honda SI on a showroom floor where the proximity fob was placed in the door pocket and a customer got in the car, which was in gear, and pushed the start button and the car lunged into a receptionist desk at a dealership. Imagine what would have come of it had it ran over a small child. Point being is that most any system with respect to a vehicle can be scrutinized from a safety standpoint. And with congress at the wheel of the nanny ship, there's no telling what might be next. I've already released myself from a 2014 Camaro purchase that I had negotiated near a week to arrive at an out the door deal because I recently got off the phone with a GM rep that inferred that it could be a month or more before I was able to take delivery. The rest seems mostly speculative at this point.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #1047
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
The proximity fob and push button in no failsafe either as long as we're splitting hairs on safety here. A member just recently posted up a story about that very set up on a Honda SI on a showroom floor where the proximity fob was placed in the door pocket and a customer got in the car, which was in gear, and pushed the start button and the car lunged into a receptionist desk at a dealership. Imagine what would have come of it had it ran over a small child. Point being is that most any system with respect to a vehicle can be scrutinized from a safety standpoint. And with congress at the wheel of the nanny ship, there's no telling what might be next. I've already released myself from a 2014 Camaro purchase that I had negotiated near a week to arrive at an out the door deal because I recently got off the phone with a GM rep that inferred that it could be a month or more before I was able to take delivery. The rest seems mostly speculative at this point.
That couldn't happen unless they pushed the clutch in before they pushed the start button.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #1048
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That couldn't happen unless they pushed the clutch in before they pushed the start button.
Maybe that's what they did. Either way, it was an accident waiting to happen with the proximity fob left in the door pocket on a showroom floor. Vehicles can be dangerous in many ways. They always have been.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #1049
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Maybe that's what they did. Either way, it was an accident waiting to happen with the proximity fob left in the door pocket on a showroom floor. Vehicles can be dangerous in many ways. They always have been.
As I and many others have said you can't idiot proof a car, there are too many idiots out there finding new ways all the time to screw things up.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #1050
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by oustaz View Post
Deja vu not voux.....
That was intentional. Voux is plural.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall