Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Why Is every one saying.

Why, Is everyone saying that the ss or z28 Camaro is coming out later then it's street day. The last I heard the only thing hitting the street later, is the Covertable Camaro. So where did this rumor come from? I asked my dealer today and they said they never heard of such rumors and there are 4 options for the car (which i already new) 2 v6's and 2 v8's.

As one of the guys i know down there stated. Chevy offers 4 packages on all their cars. Most are the Ls, Lt,LTZ, and the SS. They have no reason to believe that there would be a 5th choice in releasing the a z28. (this is coming from the number one car dealer in ny by the way). Now the top v8 option is obviously the SS.

The last time i ever heard of such a thing was when my charger came out. I got it street day. I remember that they said the srt-8 was coming out 6 months later. But this was the only time I've ever seen this happen, and the srt-8 is the 4th option in the dodge charger line. Now Why would chevy just start randomly offering a 5th car, unless it was an indy car. (like the corvette and the dodge charger Daytona) Those are the only things that they saw happening, was a limited edition rally car as the Corvette has.

For my own two cents. it would be the worst marketing for cars of all time. What are they going to throw into this car to make it better? The only top of the line engine i could see this car running is a ls3. Nothing More, I doubt it will come supercharged, and if it does i sure as hell wouldn't want a super charged car from Chevy. There are so many better Superchargers/turbo's out there.

In the end the only other car other then the 4 models coming out , That I can see being released. Is a Limited edition Bumble bee Car (From Transformers) or a daytona like edition as the charger has. And I think it'd be great if they have a limited edition bumble bee (hint hint). Since that movie helped the car get out to the public more then what it was. Plus, If the camaro doesn't come in that yellow, I'm getting my car painted to that exact color
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
what it is is everyone is banking on chevy going back to the old skool camaro. they want to hear rs, ss and z28. plus combos like rs/ss. but really i think that the ss is fine with me. just read my sig and you will get my point
Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Well, here is the deal. The Z28 is a classic Camaro Option. I personally put my money on the SS being the top end selection but it having a Z28 "package" that will give you a few custom things and a few upgrades on top of it. (similar to the BULLIT package on the Mustang GT)

Other than that, your TOP NY dealer is probably blowing smoke up your ass. 90% of the time dealers know less than fanatics like us.

One more thing, I don't really appreciate your negative attitude. Insert your opinion where you may, but choose your words carefully. Quoth the Fbodfather

"Your first mistake is you crossed the family....

Your second mistake was you haven't run yet...."
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The reason people are saying it is because someone from GM (I believe it was Scott himself) stated that they were thinking about coming out with two 6 cyl models and a single 8 cyl option at release. This means that the "top dawg" would be the only v8 you could get. People didn't believe that they'd only release one v8 model so they assume and speculate that another hi-po v8 will be released at a later date (around the time of the vert).

I hope this answered your question.

As for the rest of your post. I highly doubt they will use the current ls/lt/ltz packages. I really hope they bring back the rs/ss/z28 with RS/SS trimlines. It's very nostalgic and there have always been Camaro Z's and SS's in every generation of the Camaro family.

As for the several editions you speak of. My personal predictions (assuming they follow the old trimlines) is as follows:

Camaro: base v6
Camaro RS: Stripes/rims/appearance package 6 cyl.
Camaro Z28: sport suspension/interior upgrade 8 cyl.

Later on:
Camaro SS: bigger engine/z28 package 8 cyl.
RS/SS: RS package on the SS (not available on the Z28)
Convertible: in several trims.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
wouldnt it be ss then z28 since way back in the day z28 was top dog, even though i like the was ss sounds alot more that the z28 sounds
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Italianwhiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Well, here is the deal. The Z28 is a classic Camaro Option. I personally put my money on the SS being the top end selection but it having a Z28 "package" that will give you a few custom things and a few upgrades on top of it. (similar to the BULLIT package on the Mustang GT)

Other than that, your TOP NY dealer is probably blowing smoke up your ass. 90% of the time dealers know less than fanatics like us.

One more thing, I don't really appreciate your negative attitude. Insert your opinion where you may, but choose your words carefully. Quoth the Fbodfather

"Your first mistake is you crossed the family....

Your second mistake was you haven't run yet...."
Don't get me Wrong I'm a camaro Fan, Camaro is in my favorite list of top cars. I knew a lot of you would take offense to my post, because you are all die hard camaro fans.
But I agree with you about the package to some degree, I think it will be more like like a limited edition car like back in 1996, Chevy had the Z28 SS camaro . Which was The 30th Anniversary model, which was designed after the 1969 Camaro Indy 500 Pace car.
The only point, i was making in my whole post was. Don't expect this 6 month later camaro (if any) to have a bigger engine or anything of that nature. It probably will have limited edition interior (like in 1996 it was white). I don't see the Z28, being a Z06. In the sense of the buyer being able to pick the color of the car and being able to pick the options and so fourth. It will probably be something similar to the Daytona Charger. Where you only have the choice of lime Green (08) or Go Go Banana (06) or That orange/red(07).
If you cant see where I'm going with this. Basically, the Z28 will be the same exact car as a SS. But with a limited edition number, and Exclusive color and interior.

-Mike

P.S.

I do trust My dealer, They know what they are talking about and the person selling my car, Visits these boards and various others. He knows what he is talking about believe me. I go down there almost every week and we talk updates. Also they must be doing good to be the only dealer to have the Bumble bee camaro on display. Which was an honor to see, since i live down the street from the dealer. I wish some of you could see this dealer the place has at least 40 corvettes sitting there. Ill take pictures sometime.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
Italianwhiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The reason people are saying it is because someone from GM (I believe it was Scott himself) stated that they were thinking about coming out with two 6 cyl models and a single 8 cyl option at release. This means that the "top dawg" would be the only v8 you could get. People didn't believe that they'd only release one v8 model so they assume and speculate that another hi-po v8 will be released at a later date (around the time of the vert).

I hope this answered your question.

As for the rest of your post. I highly doubt they will use the current ls/lt/ltz packages. I really hope they bring back the rs/ss/z28 with RS/SS trimlines. It's very nostalgic and there have always been Camaro Z's and SS's in every generation of the Camaro family.

As for the several editions you speak of. My personal predictions (assuming they follow the old trimlines) is as follows:

Camaro: base v6
Camaro RS: Stripes/rims/appearance package 6 cyl.
Camaro Z28: sport suspension/interior upgrade 8 cyl.

Later on:
Camaro SS: bigger engine/z28 package 8 cyl.
RS/SS: RS package on the SS (not available on the Z28)
Convertible: in several trims.
I really wish they do those kind of packages also. The only reason why i brought this up was because, when i reserved the camaro there, they had given me the option of reserving 2 v6 options and two v8 options. I of course told them to put me on the v8 list. The only funny thing was, that they told me they had the go from gm to do the 500 reserve. (meaning wouldn't gm have told them wrong if they said there were to be 2 v8 options on release)
Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
Italianwhiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
wouldnt it be ss then z28 since way back in the day z28 was top dog, even though i like the was ss sounds alot more that the z28 sounds
Back in the day z28 was top dog. But the last camaro was released as a SS Z28. A limited edition ss camaro with a z28 trim. No Big differences in the car it self, just the interior and trim. No upgrades to the engine and such
Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
Back in the day z28 was top dog. But the last camaro was released as a SS Z28. A limited edition ss camaro with a z28 trim. No Big differences in the car it self, just the interior and trim. No upgrades to the engine and such
:bangdesk:
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
I think it will be more like like a limited edition car like back in 1996, Chevy had the Z28 SS camaro . Which was The 30th Anniversary model, which was designed after the 1969 Camaro Indy 500 Pace car.
1997 was the 30th Annv. edition...and my 35th Annv edition is the 02.

The most believable speculation (and this is from pretty darn good sources) is that that Z28 will be top dog. I'm sure the SS will be made once again.

It was to be two V6's and a V8. Most believe there will be two V8's...at least one at launch and another coming later. I have good reason to believe that we WILL see a SC version.........all you have to do is read from our VERIFIED GM sources. If there isn't one, I will be VERY suprised. Sad part is, I'm sure I won't be able to get into that SC price range.

And, are you saying that the 96 (1997) was a Camaro SS/Z28??
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
This may help.

Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post

Gen1:
RS = appearance
SS= performance
Z28 = better performance
Combinations - RS/SS, RS/Z28

Gen2:
RS = appearance
SS = straight line performer... died early in the 1970s
Z28 = performance early, appearance late
Combinations - nothing nearly as good as the RS/SS of the 1st gens

Gen3:
RS = appearance
SS = did not exist
Z28 = performance & appearance
Combinations - the IROC-Z was offered from '85-'91.. it was the "performance" car during those years, and the Z28 was just below it... in the middle of the '91 production series, the IROC disappeared and the Z28 again became the king of the Camaro lineup

Gen4:
RS = appearance only, but the '01-'02 SLP RS models did have a slight hp advantage over the previous RS 4th gens.
SS = returned in 1996 as the upgrade of the Z28... considered the most luxury and performance you can get in a 4th gen Camaro
Z28 = lighter, and sometimes faster, than the SS, the Z28 was mostly the performance upgrade from the V6 model.
Combinations - the B4C was the V8 mid range model that police used... all of the Z28's performance with none of its badging... if that Camaro next to you sounds like a V8, but doesn't have any badging, hold on to your hats, it might have been a police car in its previous (or current) life.

Hope this helps out
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Why, Is everyone saying that the ss or z28 Camaro is coming out later then it's street day. The last I heard the only thing hitting the street later, is the Covertable Camaro. So where did this rumor come from? I asked my dealer today and they said they never heard of such rumors and there are 4 options for the car (which i already new) 2 v6's and 2 v8's.

As one of the guys i know down there stated. Chevy offers 4 packages on all their cars. Most are the Ls, Lt,LTZ, and the SS. They have no reason to believe that there would be a 5th choice in releasing the a z28. (this is coming from the number one car dealer in ny by the way). Now the top v8 option is obviously the SS.

The last time i ever heard of such a thing was when my charger came out. I got it street day. I remember that they said the srt-8 was coming out 6 months later. But this was the only time I've ever seen this happen, and the srt-8 is the 4th option in the dodge charger line. Now Why would chevy just start randomly offering a 5th car, unless it was an indy car. (like the corvette and the dodge charger Daytona) Those are the only things that they saw happening, was a limited edition rally car as the Corvette has.

:
If you dig back in the Camaro's history there was no Z/28 available (or even announced) at the launch of the '67 Camaro in Aug./Sept. of '66. The Z/28 was made available a few months later.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:

For my own two cents. it would be the worst marketing for cars of all time. What are they going to throw into this car to make it better? The only top of the line engine i could see this car running is a ls3. Nothing More, I doubt it will come supercharged, and if it does i sure as hell wouldn't want a super charged car from Chevy. There are so many better Superchargers/turbo's out there.

In the end the only other car other then the 4 models coming out , That I can see being released. Is a Limited edition Bumble bee Car (From Transformers) or a daytona like edition as the charger has. And I think it'd be great if they have a limited edition bumble bee (hint hint). Since that movie helped the car get out to the public more then what it was. Plus, If the camaro doesn't come in that yellow, I'm getting my car painted to that exact color
Just wondering, who exactly is your dealer?
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It is my opinion that the thought that there is no reason to have a Z28 (or SS for that matter) is narrowminded, and only a person who is not a Chevy fan would think something like that. Z28 is a HALLMARK of Camaro and SS is likewise to Chevrolet.

The dealer that stated what you posted sounds like a schmuck. GM had two different V6s in the '95 model year (which was because they were phasing out the 3.4L with the 3800) so I don't see why they wouldn't have two V6s and at least one V8. I think, if GM wants the Camaro to be a good seller, they need to appeal it to as big an audience as possible. Maybe a good all-around V6 for economy; a high-line V6 for the techy person who wants performance and economy; a base V8 for those that want power but not huge $$$ at the pump and high insurance; and finally a top-of-the-line, b@lls-to-the-wall V8 for those that don't care about gas or insurnace.

I personally don't think there will be two V6s; I think there could be two V8s. Camaro has always been an enthusiasts car (unlike Mustang which, to me, has always tried to appeal to the general masses more so than an enthusiast) although I'm sure GM doesn't want it to flop like the fourth Gens. did, they are going to make it appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers and allow people to buy exaclty what they want.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote