Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #57
SSTAT

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1997SS NASA Road Racer
Heres my take on the question at hand: Am I happy with the power. I am a modifier by nature, I've modded every car I've ever had, about every toy I have, my kids toys too, wife wont let me mod her mini-van, yet... My Z is the first new car I've ever had. And what gets me about it is that chevy really designed this car to take a beating. At the 'ring, at the strip, (how many launches did they test that prototype with no failures?). Guys are putting 700RWHP through these things, I've not heard of one rear end failure, rod failure, etc I'm sure they are out there but I'm also sure its rare.

So what that means to me is that unlike every other car I've had, if I change the fluids like I'm supposed to, I can absolutely flog this car, every day, all day, all night, rev limiter, 150+MPH, basically forever. When we mod our cars we always go for the motor, of course, which always moves the weakest link downstream, until that link fails, then we mod that till the next link fails, which of course is part of the fun, but it takes money and takes time (which I now have less of than money, and I always do my own work).

Am I content with the power? Not really, I think at 3rd gear it gets disappointing. Will I mod it? Absolutely but probably not for a couple of years.

But am I content with the car? Absolutely! Just knowing the enormous safety factor built into the components of this car and the freedom it gives me to drive this car like I stole it at will is enough to keep the mod virus at bay. Dam* good job chevy, dam* good.
SSTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #58
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
You guys are nuts..............580HP...I can only wish. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #59
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
I get sick of hearing people bashing on auto's, 90% of the cars I've had where stick and believe me I loved driving them and did very well at tracks with them but for once a auto just sounded like something alittle different for me, I like to change it up. Nobody around my area that knows me would ever say I got a auto cause I can't drive a stick, they know thats not the case.
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTAT View Post
if I change the fluids like I'm supposed to, I can absolutely flog this car, every day, all day, all night, rev limiter, 150+MPH, basically forever.
I think at 3rd gear it gets disappointing.
Answer to your first part is yes can until your warranty runs out. On your second part I agree with your observation about third gear. What solves that is a CAI.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #61

Drives: Getaway Special

You don't need more HP to go sideways in 2nd, 3rd or ... 4th...
If thats your goal, just put some narrow tires on the back and the hair will raise up just the same and cost you plenty less.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #62
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
I'm happy with 580rwhp for now.. eventually I want to do heads and cam, then I'll be done. I'm looking to buy a C5 Z06 to build. LSX 427CI Twin Turbo!

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #63
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
If one owns a ZL1, an easy observation is that you can lose traction in first or second gear stock. Not so much third or fourth on the street, depending on how you push the car, within reason. And there is no reason to do that on the street. The car, stock, has too much balls to keep one from doing that. However, there is quite a bit of restriction within the factory airbox that blocks an even flow of air through the motor in the upper gears. An aftermarket CAI unlocks the power curve throughout all four gears more efficiently.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #64
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
If one owns a ZL1, an easy observation is that you can lose traction in first or second gear stock. Not so much third or fourth on the street, depending on how you push the car, within reason. And there is no reason to do that on the street. The car, stock, has too much balls to keep one from doing that. However, there is quite a bit of restriction within the factory airbox that blocks an even flow of air through the motor in the upper gears. An aftermarket CAI unlocks the power curve throughout all four gears more efficiently.
I have tried and track tested an aftermarket CAI with no gains whatsoever. Given several times to the track in comparable weather conditions to the stock setup, no gains have been seen. I will wait for a day when I can test them both to determine if/what gains can be seen. I believe a tune will be necessary to extract the most out of all aftermarket CAI setups...even in cases when a code hasn't been thrown. I could be wrong though...I usually am. lol!
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #65
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
The factory built 1969 ZL1 Camaros under COPO 9560.

For a car with a total production run of only 69, the enthusiast magazines of the era took notice. Super Stock was the first, featuring the #1 car in full AHRA trim, and another of Gibb's, believed to be #5, in the May 1969 issue. The street version ran an incredible 11.64/122 mph with open headers and small 6-1/2 inch slicks. The #1 car ran 10.29/132 mph.

I purposely posted this for you Sven59. If your talking lap times the new ZL1 would eat an old one, I was just referring to straight line speed. The 69 COPO was rare, but it was production......

I'm just having fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
you dreaming if you you think an as delivered 69 ZL1 camaro would hold a candle to the ZL1.

they did not come from the facotry with open headers and slicks.

The ZL1 is hands down the fastest production car by a good margin.

everybody always factors in the times after people got ahold of them and added headers and put slicks on.
I guess because back then we had no computers and everyone put headers on, also you have to remember that those times, even with headers were with 3 speed transmissions, and solid rear axels, not the fancy autos with IRS we have today. We have more horsepower today but we have to drag the weight around. Those old cars did not have the horsepower, but they did not have the weight so it kind of equalizes out. We are just talking straight line. If you think about, its quite amazing that one of these 45 year old cars with a set of headers and slicks can beat a new car
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

Last edited by v8; 10-11-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #66
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Gooooooo, 1LT's! 323 HP BooYah baby! I'm happy with it lol. If your not happy with the ZL1 save up, and get a Bugatti, plenty of HP. You won't ever reach its full HP capabilities anyways. Unless you have balls of steel and a really long runway, perhaps the one in Fast & Furious 6...
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #67
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
If your not happy with the ZL1 save up, and get a Bugatti, plenty of HP. You won't ever reach its full HP capabilities anyways. Unless you have balls of steel and a really long runway, perhaps the one in Fast & Furious 6...
You don't need to have a million dollar street car to run with a Veyron.

Heck a stock engined Boss 302 with a Kenne Bell Supercharger and 18" DR's will beat a Bugatti in the 1/4 and run 202+ in the standing mile

http://youtu.be/0nJiKYZ-th4
http://youtu.be/_6itLmvRxQw

5th gens camaro's and AMG's can also do the same, I was just listing the cheapest new car option.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #68
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
I am truly happy with the ZL1. I mod it just for kicks and if for whatever reason I couldn't add anything to it I'd sit back and hope the fun never ends.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post

Heck a stock engined Boss 302 with a Kenne Bell Supercharger and 18" DR's will beat a Bugatti in the 1/4 and run 202+ in the standing mile

5th gens camaro's and AMG's can also do the same, I was just listing the cheapest new car option.
You do know the Bugatti Veyron did 267.856 for it's top speed? Put the Veyron on DR's and see what happens?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #70
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post

Not gonna happen... Bugatti will hand that car it's tail.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote