Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #197
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
mine just went out tonight , 19k i started to do it when i done my cam but , lazyness of ordering parts .
That really sucks, believe me, I know!!!!
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #198
CFD

Man I'm bummed. Just when I thought everyhting was fine I lost another lifter. The #6 cylinder exhaust, same one I just replaced. Somethings going on in there I must have missed but at this point not sure what. Thing that sucks is it took my cam with it this time. It wasn't the pin coming, the roller feels free but obviously it wasn't rollin'
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #199
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Dam it man,that looks awful nasty! Hope you get things straightened out!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #200
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Oh that sucks SO BAD!!!!

You may hate me for saying this, but you now have metal all over the engine and likely lodged into the piston skirts. You might want to explore the possibility of taking this sucker apart, and thoroughly cleaning and inspecting EVERYTHING. No joke.

This should be treated no different than a flat tappet cam failure. Please consider doing it.

P.S. I really dig your removable crossmember. Awesome. You are such a man. hehe
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #201
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
well that does suck, something is going on there.
I would recommend checking the entire valvetrain for that lifter, from pushrod to rocker to springs and make sure there is no stuck valve.
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #202
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
well that does suck, something is going on there.
I would recommend checking the entire valvetrain for that lifter, from pushrod to rocker to springs and make sure there is no stuck valve.

Didn't see anything that looks abnormal other than the cam and lifter but I will be checking it out thoroughly in the next day or two. Something's going on for sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #203
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I agree with POS!

That motor has has to come out and rebuilt. Even if you keep the stock rotating assembly. But I'd get forged pistons n rods lol. Along with morel or SLR lifters lol.

That sucks to hear but I think metal got to the other lifter and took it out if you ask me.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #204
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

What cam and springs are you using?

Valve float will chew up a lifter and cam.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #205
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
What cam and springs are you using?

Valve float will chew up a lifter and cam.

TSP VVT-3, PRC .650" doubles.

I don't think it's a set-up problem, as mentioned, the car has run great with this set up. It could be that a piece of debris that was someplace in the motor found it's way to the lifter and caused another "roller failure of sorts" but as it sits, the roller is free and there is no detectable movement in the pin or excessive clearence in the bearings so I don't think that's it.

What I will be paying attention to is the springs, they may be fatigued causing float, the odd thing is the problem is isolated to #6 ex. If it's something worn out or broken in the spring or valve it will be evident when I disassemble and measure things up. I will be going with new springs as these do have some mileage on them and the #6 set has who know's what thrown at them lol.

I am leaning towards spring fatigue at this point, I won't lie in saying the car was near redline several times during some hole shots and 1st-2nd shifts. I'll know more when it's apart further.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #206
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
got my melling in and ls2 damper, relief valve was what went bad on mine.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #207
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
got my melling in and ls2 damper, relief valve was what went bad on mine.
That seems to be the norm.

I got mine apart again, I'm not seeing anything wrong other than the lifter and cam, oil pan is down and have flushed everything out. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the heads apart to see if I can find anything in there. Meanwhile the cam, springs, lifters and misc. parts are on order and I am hoping to be up and running by the weeks end. I'll post up if I find anything in the heads.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #208
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I would say forum sponsors like BeckyD at Rodgers Chevrolet who should have access to failure stats (at minimum from her dealership) could shed some light as to whether or not you are lucky. Also there are several top shops that are forum sponsors who could share their "first hand" experience of stock pump failures. They could state their opinions on whether or not the pump failures were solely because of, as little88 claims are "junk" or whether there were extenuating circumstances such as improper reinstallation, inadequate preventative maintenance, abuse etc. I, for one, would be interested in seeing a few posts from the above mentioned members regarding their opinions. It is only fair to disclose my 2010 L99, built in July of 2009, is heavily modded, blown, cammed, and LS3 converted. It still uses the original L99 oil pump. PSI at startup is 65, fully warmed up at cruise is 45, idle @650-700 never less than 30, WOT 65. Therefore at this point, I am not convinced the pumps are junk.
I haven't read all the way to the end of this thread yet but wanted to chime in and let you know that my LS3 is running stock (other than a CAI intake and GMPP Exhaust) and I am about to have my 3rd oil pump and check valve (2nd failure). I get my oil changed at my local dealership and follow the their guidelines for service due to wanting to be in compliance for the warranty. My car has 58,000 miles on it (mostly highway). This is a ridiculous situation and ironically, it always seems to happen when I'm a long way from home. What a PITA.

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #209
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Also, how much damage is being done to the rest of the engine when these fail? With this being my 2nd failure, I can't help but be concerned about bearing damage and/or failure......

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #210
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

I would bring that up to your dealer! If your hearing funny noises and are loosing oil pressure I'd tell them immediately. Also ask them about the long term effects this has to causing your engine. Since your still under warranty I'd might even want a new motor.