Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
squids4daddy

Drives: ZL1 2014
Oil change sensor?

I read in the owners manual that the car notifies when oil change is needed. Could this be real?
squids4daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
More or less, yes.
They have a Oil Life Monitoring system that can tell you at a glass how much 'oil life' you have left.
You can see the current 'oil life' in your DIC.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
squids4daddy

Drives: ZL1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
More or less, yes.
They have a Oil Life Monitoring system that can tell you at a glass how much 'oil life' you have left.
You can see the current 'oil life' in your DIC.
It is just so rare to purchase a thing and become ever more delighted as you come to know it.
squids4daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
This is a matter of personal opinion with typically people on both sides of the fence in disagreement, but I would not wait until your oil life monitor tells you it is time. As stated above, they are good as a "reference" or a quick glance. Oil is the life blood of your engine, and a very high performance engine. Do you really want particles accumulating and oil being pushed to it's limits? I am still a every 3k or 1/year, no matter what my car tells me. I do filter my used oil through a 10m filter block and re-use it in small engines/ATV, etc..
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I've got no issues with using the OLM. GM's algorithm/logic is pretty bang-up:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...=130122&page=1

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
I do use the OLM in my silverado, daily driven, typically 200 miles or more per week. When I drain the oil it looks like tar, and I frequently change it before it drops below 10%. Now for a work truck that will be driven for 6-8 years and then gotten rid of, that is okay. The engine will outlast the body and other wearables. For a high performance car driven a few times per month, the OLM will push the engine oil past my comfort level. New oil lubricates better than oil that has 1% left based on OLM, New oil has less contamination/particulates suspended in it than oil that has 1% left. Which again is controversial, we can see down to 30 micron, most oil filters are 20-30 micron and everyone says "smaller particles can't hurt my engine". Which is partly true the clearances are larger, but try this, the next time you drain your oil, take two bottle samples send one in for an oil analysis test (I do them for my job), and leave one sitting open in your garage (covered). Let it sit for a week or so and you will see that suspended particles will have settled to the bottom of the bottle and you will be surprised what is in your oil. Which again, can be harmless, but, in your beloved ZL1 do you really want to push the oil to the critical limits, with oil that has A LOT of suspended particles/contaminates that overtime will be leaving deposits throughout your engine that may (or may not) be flushed out by the next oil change? If you are planning on keeping your car for a few years, daily driving, and trading, probably does not matter if you use OLM or not, but for those who plan on keeping the car for decades..it's something to think about.
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I track my car so the OLM is useless in my case....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Remember, the frequency of oil changes also depends on how many miles per year to drive your car. Most people would recommend you change the oil at least once a yea regardless of what the OLM says.

As mentioned, oil change intervals are another hotly debated topic with no good answer for everyone.

The older generation cars/people are used to changing it every 3,000 miles or so.

The younger generation people/cars/oil believe in driving the cars many more miles do to newer oil formulas and newer engine technologies that suggest you can go up to 15,000 miles or so between changes.

I happen to be of the older generation of people that are used to changing every 3,000 or so.

With my GM cars (2013 ZL1, 2015 Malibu turbo), I generally get an oil change when my OLM drops to 50%.

With the ZL1, that equates to around 3000-3500 miles, the Malibu turbo hits 50% around 2,500 miles.

Considering the cost of our cars, I don't mind at all the cost of an oil change a bit more frequently than possibly needed.

Better safe in my book.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I change the oil twice a year, early spring and early fall...I don't put a lot of miles on my car either, as well as, no racing...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote