Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
My Trifecta V6 tune update...

Well, Vince is now back from vacation and is getting caught back up after being gone for 3 weeks... He did make time to review the logs from my dyno session and had me do a little more data logging capturing some new parameters...

After a few back and forth e-mails we both have came to the same conclusion... the LLT motor is tuned pretty darn good right from the factory!!! Now in all honesty I had pretty much heard this from my insider grapevine but was kind of holding out hope... So it appears to me at least, that there is simply not a lot of HP to be gained by adding a tune to another wise stock V6...

Now that being said there is however a reason to keep a tune in mind...

1) Improved shift firmness/removed(lessened) torque management for us automatics. My car's shifts now feel a LOT better! At WOT you know the car is shifting! Also with the stock tune the car would drop to a -8 degrees timing during the shift.. Vince now has mine dropping to about +3 degrees... this was just a starting point. Vince is still going to continue tweaking my tranny!

2) Getting the most out of your mods... especially CAIs! The test car that Vince used had an Airaid CAI... we're thinking a lot the improvement to that car was due to combing the Airaid WITH a TUNE!

3) Turning off those rear O2 sensors... for you guys that go with long tubes this may be very handy! Also Vince has already helped out a long tube owner!

Finally... Vince is very customer service oriented!! I have nothing but praise for my experience with working with Vince and look forward to continue working with him!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
tstpierre

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT
I'll add to this... as I was the customer with long tubes Scrming is referencing.

I ran into some interesting events. Pre-tune I of course had a perma CEL from the headers. It got to the point I was getting misfirings.

Without the tune, I immediately noticed gains from the headers and exhaust. Can easily chirp 1st - 2nd. Of course I ran into operational issues. Vince corrected it with one simple log sent to him.

He's now working on tuning for the intake and headers. We were originally only focused on getting the CEL gone and the fuel mixture correct.

I am 100% satisfied with my money spent so far. I'm sure I'll have a few back and forths in the week to come with Vince much like Scrming has had. But that's not hassle, its service.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Okay. Thanks for the update scrming, gentlemen. So right now, unless one has a CAI, the tune is more for the tranny, possibly shutting down the CEL/rear o2 sensors. One out of you three aren't happy with the customer service either.

I gotta say, that right now, $600 is not worth what a person gets. This is subject to change as things gets worked out. I really want to try this tune, but dropping $1000 between the tune and a CAI for unsure numbers?

Gotta lotta thinking to do right now, lol.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Exactly what is the relationship between Nallen and Trifecta?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
ROD1
Retired

Pierre, what kinda dyno numbers are you getting at this point?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Thanks for the update guys... I was waiting on this for what seems like forever. I wanted to get a tune, but it looks like I will wait until I do some upgrades. I have a manual transmission so it doesn't look like it will change much for me since I'm 100% stock right now. I'll keep my eyes on these threads though in case something new is figured out. Thanks for getting the tune figured out Trifecta...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
convert

Drives: the Camaro as often as possible
Thanks for the update -- I've been checking in regularly for it! I gotta admit, it's not what I wanted to hear, though. Makes it hard to do upgrades piece-meal, especially given the issues people have reported after installing headers or even that Mustang CAI.

What about tuning for premium gas? Are there gains to be had there?
convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Thanks for the update guys.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
ROD1
Retired

So, who is this hanoverfist guy that posted his Trifecta dyno with a 23 hp and 17 tq gain ? http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...2Wm40V2c&hl=en This whole thing just doesn't add up and the tuners arent comenting. Im really getting suspicious of this whole thing.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
So, who is this hanoverfist guy that posted his Trifecta dyno with a 23 hp and 17 tq gain ? http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...2Wm40V2c&hl=en This whole thing just doesn't add up and the tuners arent comenting. Im really getting suspicious of this whole thing.
I assume you are talking about the first trifecta car. That car had an Airaid CAI. So basically I think his gains came from optomizing things for the Airaid. Unfortunately there was no baseline numbers for the car with the stock intake.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I agree ROD1...at least somewhat. Only consideration I have is that the hanoverfist guy had a CAI and maybe optimizing for that is what made the differences.??? I don't really know, just guessing.

But on that same token, with the exhaust upgrades scrming and beauwolf (not sure If i spelled his ID correctly!) had, you'd think there would have definitely been gains to be had there.

Hrmm...well, there will be other tunes out before long, and I'd say if their results turn out the same, then we all know.

EDIT:...scrming beat me to this post lol.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
ROD1
Retired

Well it would make sense that you guys arent getting enough air for the stock manifolds to handle etc much less for mods, so....... Hope this is the case.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Perhaps Mike from Diablo can update how things are going with their soon to be finished V6 tune?

J
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Not to change the subject, but the numbers on that spreedsheet are all over the place. There really doesn't seem to be anything consistent in what different people are getting per mod. Seems like these manufacturers need to do some more testing before releasing numbers just for marketing. They seem to test one car, then release their numbers ... I'm thinking I'll just hang on to my mod money for a second car purchase insted.