Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Front Tire Width

So after a lot of searching (I swear), I have to ask...do 305's fit on the front of a ZL1? I'm looking at Finspeed 19" with 305's all around if they'll fit. Does this require more than -1.4 camber?

Would you recommend 11" wheels or 10.5"?

Recommended offset front and rear?

What do I need to get to -2 camber?

2014 ZL1
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Guess I'll be your Guinea Pig. I just ordered 19x10.5 rims for a square set up. Tires going on it are 305x30x19 I'm currently at -2.0 degree of camber. I should have it ready for a test in about two weeks. First actual track event will be March 15. The wheel and tire supposedly fits, but not sure with that kind of camber..

11" would be better than 10.5 but unfortunately I didn't have that option in the wheels I got. Only offset option I had was +27, not ideal but will work. OEM offset is like +23 front +43 rear or something very close to that.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
MTCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Guess I'll be your Guinea Pig. I just ordered 19x10.5 rims for a square set up. Tires going on it are 305x30x19 I'm currently at -2.0 degree of camber. I should have it ready for a test in about two weeks. First actual track event will be March 15. The wheel and tire supposedly fits, but not sure with that kind of camber..

It should fit easier with that camber correct? I took the car to Bumberas but they said they could only get like -1.3 camber. What's it take to get -2 camber?

2014 ZL1
Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
It should fit easier with that camber correct? I took the car to Bumberas but they said they could only get like -1.3 camber. What's it take to get -2 camber?

2014 ZL1
Yeah in theory, but I'm one of those see it to believe type lol.

Technically I'm at -1.8/1.9 but I didn't do anything special. Not sure why you can't go more aggressive, but depending on how much you drive this (aside from track duty) you may be thankful. Inside of my tires wear pretty quickly. Thankfully I don't daily it.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
MTCobra

Bumberas had great customer service but I wasn't blown away with their knowledge of the camaro so I'm not sure about the camber either...they said I needed the eccentric camber bolt to get more camber and I didn't believe that was right.

I don't daily drive either so I'm not too concerned with more camber.

2014 ZL1
Old 02-15-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
19x11 or even bigger at the rear is pretty easy. You can actually get 19x11 up front, but then you need to really push for a low offset, and the tire/wheel will stick out of your fenders.

I initially ordered Forgestars 19x11 all around with +17 offset up front (their lowest) and +40 offset at the rear, but then learned that these wheels are not strong enough for heavy track duty, so switched to Z/28 OEM wheels. Z/28 wheels are +11 up front, and stick out quite a bit. I ended up getting the Z/28 fender extensions as well to keep them within the wheel wells, or sticky tires can destroy your paint in short order at the track.

19x10.5 +27 is very very close to the limit. It should have very little clearance left with the suspension. It will work, but I'd rather recommend APEX ARC-8 19x10.5 ET22 wheels for a little bit more clearance. I have these wheels with Hankook R-S3s for street use:
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Last edited by X25; 02-15-2015 at 01:58 AM.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:

11" would be better than 10.5 but unfortunately I didn't have that option in the wheels I got. Only offset option I had was +27, not ideal but will work. OEM offset is like +23 front +43 rear or something very close to that.

i have the same setup baylor. i have the same brand, size and offset of wheels you have. i put the SUV studs and a good 5mm spacer in front, i dont have my negative camber maxed out and the tire is about 8mm from rubbing. this is with 295 30 19s that dont hang over the rim. it may work with no spacer and the camber maxed out but with the 305s hanging over the rims a little i bet it would be too close or even rubbing.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
I installed the 10" ZL1 replicas with 305\35-20's up front yesterday. My 2010 has Phadt coilovers and I had to use 8mm spacers and longer wheel studs to get everything to fit. The clearance looks good even on my lowered car with a camber of -1.8. I hope to take it for an aggressive test drive later today and will post my results. I have 11" ZL1 replicas for the back and planning on mounting 315's back there. I will try the front 10" wheels on my stock 2014 when I get a chance and report back on that fitment. The font offset is 23 if i remember correctly and the clearance to my coil over is very narrow. I need to get some feeler gauges in there to see, my guess is I should have at least 4 or 5mm clearance which should be fine since all of the tire twist happens at the bottom.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
i have the same setup baylor. i have the same brand, size and offset of wheels you have. i put the SUV studs and a good 5mm spacer in front, i dont have my negative camber maxed out and the tire is about 8mm from rubbing. this is with 295 30 19s that dont hang over the rim. it may work with no spacer and the camber maxed out but with the 305s hanging over the rims a little i bet it would be too close or even rubbing.
Where did you get your wheel spacer? looks like I am going to need one in 5 mm, I am just barley rubbing..
Old 02-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Where did you get your wheel spacer? looks like I am going to need one in 5 mm, I am just barley rubbing..
How close is "barely rubbing", is it the wheel or the tire, and what hard point is involved? Does it actually touch statically, or do you have to be cornering with at least moderate intensity?

In my experience, an 8 mm tire to strut gap is a huge, almost wasteful amount of clearance, and even half that is still a lot. The wheel shouldn't need more than 1, maybe 1.5 mm clearance anywhere.

Tire width vs wheel width probably has a small effect, 305/xx on 10.5" a wheel probably needs a little more static clearance than the 1.3-ish mm I've got with 285/xx on 11's.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-21-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
How close is "barely rubbing", is it the wheel or the tire, and what hard point is involved? Does it actually touch statically, or do you have to be cornering with at least moderate intensity?

In my experience, an 8 mm tire to strut gap is a huge, almost wasteful amount of clearance, and even half that is still a lot. The wheel shouldn't need more than 1, maybe 1.5 mm clearance anywhere.

Norm
The inner edge of the tire at the top makes contact with the strut. When the car was on jackstands and the wheel/tire mounted, I could hear the rubbing when I was free spinning the wheel with my hand.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Sounds very close. I can't see 5 mm not working, but I'll bet you could get away with maybe 3 . . .

Incidentally, when you're fitting things really close you'll want to try all possible combinations of wheels at corners. Wheel offsets/backspacing, struts, and even tires have dimensional tolerances that don't have to stack up the same way in all combinations.

Looks like I slipped an edit in my previous post after this last post of yours landed.

Norm
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
here are the spacers i got i think. i havent actually measured the gap at rest. its less than it was when it was jacked up. i have room to throw more negative camber in if i want/need to. this square setup made my car a different car. i had got it all jacked up last winter and took almost all season to get it back right. dont mix and match tire compounds, it made my car a death trap and it took my dumb butt half a season to figure it out. i was trying to save some money but you cant really skimp on tires and brakes im finding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5MM-5X120MM-...7f26b0&vxp=mtr
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
dont mix and match tire compounds, it made my car a death trap and it took my dumb butt half a season to figure it out. i was trying to save some money but you cant really skimp on tires and brakes im finding.
THIS ↑↑↑

I think everybody who is interested in improving the cornering and handling of their cars needs to personally live through this sort of thing at least once (safely, please).

It is entirely possible to make even an understeerish FWD car scary-loose at only moderate speeds and cornering g's by changing just two tires and touching nothing else.

Norm