Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
taking the headliner out of car

i know how to take it down.. but how the hell does it fit through the doors without bending it?
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
it doesnt to get it out you have to pull either the windsheild or the back glass, why do you want it out anyways? just curious
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
MontanaKnight

Drives: Dreaming Of the 2011 SS2 A6 - Soon
MontanaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_cartoonist_88 View Post
it doesnt to get it out you have to pull either the windsheild or the back glass, why do you want it out anyways? just curious
got a friend who does custom interior work.. he was gonna hook me up and wrap it in suede for nothing.. are you sure the windshield or back glass needs to be pulled to take it out??

hes done plenty of headliners and i never heard of glass needing to be pulled.. haha
Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
WorldClassRS

Drives: 2010 RJT LT/RS
xTooltipElement
Service Information Related Documents Global Labor Time Guide: Headlining Trim Panel Area Waterleak Repair Global Labor Time Guide: Headlining Trim Panel Replacement
2010 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Body Hardware and Trim | Floor Coverings and Headlinings | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 2206856
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlining Trim Panel Replacement

Callout
Component Name

Warning: Do not attempt to repair or alter the head impact energy-absorbing material glued to the headliner or to the garnish trims. If the material is damaged, replace the headliner and/or the garnish trim. Failure to do so could result in personal injury.

Caution: Use care when working around the head curtain inflator module. Sharp tools may puncture the curtain airbag. If the head curtain inflator module is damaged in any way, it must be replaced.

Caution: If a vehicle is equipped with a head curtain inflator module ensure that the inflator module and tether are undamaged. If tether or curtain airbag are damaged in any way, they must be replaced.

Preliminary Procedures
Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
Remove the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement.
Remove the sunshade assemblies. Refer to Sunshade Replacement.
Remove the sunshade support. Refer to Sunshade Support Replacement.
Remove the overhead console assembly. Refer to Roof Console Replacement.
Remove the coat hooks. Refer to Coat Hook Replacement.
Remove the rear quarter trim panel. Refer to Quarter Upper Trim Panel Replacement.
Remove the front seat. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Replacement
Move the driver seat fully forward and recline.

Headliner Trim Panel Retainer

Headliner Trim Panel Assembly

Procedure
Prior to removal, note routing of wire harness to aid in assembly and to ensure proper installation.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Removal and installation of the headliner must be completed through the right front door opening with the aid of an assistant to prevent kinking or damage to the headliner.
Tip
When installing a new headliner, tape any unused connector to the headliner with a high adhesive tape.

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.
WorldClassRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
WorldClassRS

Drives: 2010 RJT LT/RS
That one step for removing the seat is for the passenger seat. And you don't ever want to remove a factory installed window unless you absolutely have to. Usually the glass guy chips the hell out of the paint around the window opening under the moulding
WorldClassRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

doesnt look to hard.. may be a weekend job when it gets a little warmer out..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
It wont fit out at an angle through the door? Maybe even just slight bending it to make it curve a little bit?
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
It wont fit out at an angle through the door? Maybe even just slight bending it to make it curve a little bit?
it will if i take the passenger seat out.. otherwise its gonna bend and get messed up..
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Yep, it will not make the turn out the door.. Also the wiring harness for the center console is glued along the front edge of the headliner.(Second Picture) Also has all sorts of plastic ice cube trays glued to the under side of the headliner as spacers, which makes the headliner quite stiff. Might get it out if you removed the front seats and the door ! jk on the last statement!

Joe

STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGS View Post
Also has all sorts of plastic ice cube trays glued to the under side of the headliner as spacers.
Those are the "head impact energy-absorbing material". Make sure you don't alter them.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassRS View Post
That one step for removing the seat is for the passenger seat. And you don't ever want to remove a factory installed window unless you absolutely have to. Usually the glass guy chips the hell out of the paint around the window opening under the moulding
what glass guy do you use? i would be looking else where if they chip your paint
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

iv replaced headliners before but this one looks tricky.... a friend of mine who works at a local chevy parts department told me if you take the passenger seat out the headliner may come out, but its not 100% that it will.. this may be a project i dont wanna try.. haha
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
I tried to remove it when I was deleting the shark fin, but ended up working around it since I couldn't handle the headliner by myself without kinking it. It seemed to be too big to come out the door opening no matter what angle I had it at.
The service manual stated to remove the passenger seat, recline the drivers seat, and with an assistant remove the head liner. I imagine you would have to bend the headliner some to get it out
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote