Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman12 View Post
I am assuming you are talking about getting the alignment once I get all of this installed right? Would not like to pay for two alignments. Any comments about the EP1201HD as far as being mainly a street car? Or should I look at exchanging these for the EP1201. I just don't want to regret installing of this when I am done. Also the same with the springs is the 1.5" drop in the year to much for a mainly street driven car? thanks again for all of the help just want to get it all right the first time. I assume this won't be a lot of fun laying on my back in the garage.
My bad, I thought it already was installed. How hard do you plan to drag this beast?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
My bad, I thought it already was installed. How hard do you plan to drag this beast?
I like to go to the strip a lot but truthfully my new wife doesn't like the idea much. However I am sure I will still get there some. Once I have all supporting mods I would like to launch pretty hard. Obviously I am gonna need some drag radials, clutch and some axles. Horsepower seems pretty set but lacking on the supporting mods. But hey I ain't picky got a great deal on the car with a trunk full of new parts ready to install.

I think I a most concerned about the 220033 rear springs. They are brand new in box what are the chances of trying to exchange for the 1" drop version. Unless someone can talk me into how nice the 1.5" will look and perform.

Also I am trying to get all my instructions printed out and such. Any good links for the front sway bar and spring instructions? I am looking forward to the install but may have to weight until it cools down it has been so crazy hot. People dropping dead all over! Really
Zman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
JusticePete

Quote:
I like to go to the strip a lot but truthfully my new wife doesn't like the idea much. However I am sure I will still get there some. Once I have all supporting mods I would like to launch pretty hard. Obviously I am gonna need some drag radials, clutch and some axles. Horsepower seems pretty set but lacking on the supporting mods. But hey I ain't picky got a great deal on the car with a trunk full of new parts ready to install.

I think I a most concerned about the 220033 rear springs. They are brand new in box what are the chances of trying to exchange for the 1" drop version. Unless someone can talk me into how nice the 1.5" will look and perform.

Also I am trying to get all my instructions printed out and such. Any good links for the front sway bar and spring instructions? I am looking forward to the install but may have to weight until it cools down it has been so crazy hot. People dropping dead all over! Really

For the drags, the taller spring will allow you to align with the OE rear camber eccentrics with less negative camber than the lower 33. Looking through your list, is there a 32mm rear bar included?

You are making some serious RWHP and with drag radials will benefit from the HD diff bushes. I hope you turn out like Doc and have no noise issues.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I can do this! Lets see if Pete laughs or gives Kudos!

Geez, I already gave your beer in the other thread and now you want kudos? OK, is that a new chip brand?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Zman12

No rear sway included. May have to look at that later.

Any advice on where to get some good spring and sway bar install instructions from?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
No rear sway included. May have to look at that later.

Any advice on where to get some good spring and sway bar install instructions from?
Since you are going to be dragging, leave the big front bar off. When you add the 32mm bar put the front bar on. Why you might ask? The monster rear bar in the 5th Gen helps evenly distribute load on hard acceleration. This disables the bar and helps you launch harder.

Doing the springs is cake. Do you have an air gun?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
Zman12

Gotcha so you recommend I just leave the front off until I buy a rear also. I will be at the strip less than 5 percent of the time. Do you always recommend front and rear sways together. Or is just running the upgraded front ok? I understand no front at the drag strip is nice, but I am not concerned about squeezing ever last drop. I just want to have a great handling car on the street and good at the strip and to be able to take advantage of the power I have avaialble.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Gotcha so you recommend I just leave the front off until I buy a rear also. I will be at the strip less than 5 percent of the time. Do you always recommend front and rear sways together. Or is just running the upgraded front ok? I understand no front at the drag strip is nice, but I am not concerned about squeezing ever last drop. I just want to have a great handling car on the street and good at the strip and to be able to take advantage of the power I have avaialble.
The 5th Gen has a good deal of understeer built in from the factory. Most 5th Gen owners don't complain about understeer because they don't drive that hard. They think they do, but most don't. You can tell by checking out the shoulders of thier tires. If they aren't abrading the shoulders in hard turns they aren't driving that hard. The next time you see a gethering of 5th Gens take a look and see for yourself. So for the 5th Gen driver that just wants to redduce the front end lean a front bar works well. If you drive the car hard, it will have more understeer than from the factory with just a front bar.

A full set of bars changes the overall balance of the car, especially if you move to a 32mm rear with the 27mm front. That is my personal preference and the only way I would want my 5th gen setup.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
Zman12

Thanks for all the advice thus far. In your expert opinion taking the factory mushy bushings out and replacing with the items I have listed is this going to help safeguard other parts from breaking such as driveline components or does the extra stiffness actually increase the chances of other failures.

Right now I know I have some major weak links with the added power I have and am just trying to figure it all out. I new where are the weak links were on the Cobra so know I am trying to put the research in on the camaro.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice thus far. In your expert opinion taking the factory mushy bushings out and replacing with the items I have listed is this going to help safeguard other parts from breaking such as driveline components or does the extra stiffness actually increase the chances of other failures.

Right now I know I have some major weak links with the added power I have and am just trying to figure it all out. I new where are the weak links were on the Cobra so know I am trying to put the research in on the camaro.
Between THE BOOK, the forum and this thread you know a great deal!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Zman12

Ok I might finally get around to installing some of this stuff this weekend. I plan to make it a nice project for my 14 yr old son and I to do. Anyway I am still having issues finding nice step by step instructions for all of these parts. Any help or links would be much appreciated. I do not have a press so I know I may have to take the radius arm to somewhere to have the one bushings pressed out. Do the new ones have to be pressed in? Do I need the rear diff bushing tool? You get my point.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Do the new ones have to be pressed in? Do I need the rear diff bushing tool? You get my point.
Yes....you'll have to have the new bushing pressed in as well. I guess you wouldn't have to have a diff tool but it will be a hell of a lot of cutting if not. Tool makes it tone easier.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Zman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yes....you'll have to have the new bushing pressed in as well. I guess you wouldn't have to have a diff tool but it will be a hell of a lot of cutting if not. Tool makes it tone easier.
Thanks for the reply. The more and more I look at stuff I wonder if I shouldn't just go with all of my parts from one vendor. All of this was purchased and never installed by the previous owner and I cant believe how hard it is to find good install instructions from some vendors. Some vendors it is very easy and they have nice step by steps. I have been working on cars a long time but it is nice to have easy to follow instructions to avoid frustrations later. I also wonder who in my area does good alignments. I just don't want to regret putting all this on later with a bunch of squeaks rattles and rubbing noises.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #28
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
I see that you've got a Pfadt part in your list there, if you don't have a link to our instructions page you can find one here: Pfadt Race Engineering Product Installation Instructions

As far as an alignment shop goes, you my want to get in contact with one of your local racing organizations. SCCA/NASA/Porsche Club of America/BMWCCA users all need to have their alignments dialed in properly and there is a good chance that they have info on who in your area can get you taken care of.

If you've got any questions please let us know!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote