Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
isnt that what a clear coat does :o can tell im dumb :P
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
isnt that what a clear coat does :o can tell im dumb :P
Opti Coat covers your precious clear coat so any damage doesn't effect it. It's also harder than clear coat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Opti Coat covers your precious clear coat so any damage doesn't effect it. It's also harder than clear coat.

It also shines like its waxed, so you don't need to wax it any more, like a permanent wax. and dirt doesn't stick as easily.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
It also shines like its waxed, so you don't need to wax it any more, like a permanent wax. and dirt doesn't stick as easily.
Wax doesn't shine

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
Rhyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Wax doesn't shine
you speaking semantics? as in it doesnt generate its own light?

My car shined plenty when I was waxing it before the opticoat, reflected the sun really well.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Wax doesn't shine
Bingo. Neither does Opti Coat or any other sealant. Don't try to tell anybody that though

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
you speaking semantics? as in it doesnt generate its own light?

My car shined plenty when I was waxing it before the opticoat, reflected the sun really well.
A sealant or a wax do absolutely nothing for you in terms of shine. All the shine you get is from how well your paint is prepped before that. If your paint is absolutely trashed, I don't care how much wax or sealant you put on it, it won't shine. It's when you paint is polished out well and corrected that you will get that mirror shine. Wax and sealant are just for protection

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Can you put OptiCoat over Xpel cover? I have several areas covered with Xpel and was just wondering?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Can you put OptiCoat over Xpel cover? I have several areas covered with Xpel and was just wondering?
Yes you can! The downside is whatever imperfections are under the XPel you're stuck with.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
Rhyder

Quote:
A sealant or a wax do absolutely nothing for you in terms of shine. All the shine you get is from how well your paint is prepped before that. If your paint is absolutely trashed, I don't care how much wax or sealant you put on it, it won't shine. It's when you paint is polished out well and corrected that you will get that mirror shine. Wax and sealant are just for protection
interesting, was not aware of that. So if you coated a car with the matte black look it would still be dull, no reflection?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
interesting, was not aware of that. So if you coated a car with the matte black look it would still be dull, no reflection?
It will change the look of matte paint or vinyl. That's because that is not it's intended use. As 99% of paint is not matte, that is what we were referring to. I get the feeling you're trying to be a bit of a smart-ass with your response (apologies if I'm reading that wrong). You can find exceptions to any rule if you try hard enough, but just in case you were actually genuinely curious, I'll explain:

Opti-Coat, nor any other sealant or wax on the planet is not intended to increase shine. Shine comes from prep work, the paint correction. The way paint shines is by creating a flat surface for light to reflect off of. What makes a car look dull is pitting or scratches on the surface. This causes the light to bounce off in odd angles, not right back at you. That's why paint correction is so crucial prior to a permanent coating. Any scratches left, will be there forever and that paint will not appear as shiny as it could.

Now, when we said it doesn't add shine, that's not entirely true either if you want to get super technical. Waxes and sealants can temporarily fill, or partially fill, minor swirls and imperfections. This creates the illusion of flat, shiny paint. But it's just an illusion, and it's certainly nowhere near as effective as actually polishing.

For all intents and purposes, waxes and sealants are NOT intended to add shine to paint. They are there to protect paint. Some sealants are better than others in that they are optically clear which means that they do not distort the reflection of the paint underneath (basically). Most people are oblivious to this and may actually think their trashed paint looks good after they slap some wax on it. To a trained eye and someone who has seen the difference, it's night and day.

Anyway, I know you Opti-Coat guys are super happy with the look, but I just would like you to know that 99% of that is coming from the hours of prep work the installer did, not the coating itself. Any idiot can apply Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard. Where the talent shows is the prep work.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #26
Rhyder

nope not being a smartass.....the cars ive had havent shined as well as after it was waxed, any time it was detailed it of course had been waxed so I always cinnected the shine to wax

your part "Now, when we said it doesn't add shine, that's not entirely true either if you want to get super technical. Waxes and sealants can temporarily fill, or partially fill, minor swirls and imperfections. This creates the illusion of flat, shiny paint. But it's just an illusion, and it's certainly nowhere near as effective as actually polishing. " explains why it shines more after its waxed even though it wasnt polished.....its filling in the blemishes.....
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Car looks great. The polishing made it look good. The opticoat will help you keep it clean.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6