Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
TheDayday

Drives: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
New member, hi! Question about the GFX package...

New member here! A buddy of mine referred me to these forums, been lurking here every day for a week now. He's going to be getting a Camaro by August and he also doesn't know the answer to this question.

So I've been using the "Build Your Own" system on the chevrolet.com website. I'm really confused about the ground effects package. The regular ground effects is $2265 and the "alternate finish" is $2500. My main questions is, is the ground effects package "alternate finish" actually PAINTED? Or is the "finish" just the same color as the car and not actually painted?

I've googled everything I can about it and I've only found one topic on it on these forums and it didn't really answer my question. From what I've gathered, the GFX package from last year there was no "alternate finish" option. It came only in that gray color and you had to pay extra to get it painted to color match the car. Am I right or wrong about this?

I talked to a salesman and asked him this question. He wasn't sure either. Afterwards I sent him an E-mail with pictures of the GFX unpainted and painted. I told him that somebody at the service department should know because it's a dealer installed option. He got back to me yesterday and told me that for 2011, if a buyer factory orders GFX, the car will now come from the factory with the GFX package already installed... AND (the most important part) that if your car's exterior is a certain color, alternate finish means it will be PAINTED in that color. He told me that only select models can get the "alternate finish" which I know is true. He also assured me that it is painted, but that part I don't buy.

So does anyone out there have an answer to this question? The only way the kit is worth it is if it's painted (and even then, it's probably still too expensive). The whole kit unpainted just looks fake and plastic to me so even if the "alternate finish" is color matched to the car, if it's unpainted, I think it will still look bad. Here's hoping this salesguy is correct and isn't just yanking my chain to bite on a car.
TheDayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
The Ground effects package listed for $2265 is the same package as last year, that prices gets your the dark grey unpainted ground effects installed on the camaro. The new LPO(limited production) Ground effects "alternate finish" is getting the ground effects painted to match your body color of the camaro, however they only allow the basic colors on this, white,black,cyber grey or victory red. This is also installed by your dealer...It is a great price for the painted option. I would have done it however i got IOM so ill have to paint them myself.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
TheDayday

Thank you! It's unfortunate it's only specific colors and you have to get yours painted. That's what I didn't want to deal with, to have to look for a place to paint. I'm planning on getting black, so I won't have this problem.

This is one that I saw in another topic painted by the dealer, looks amazing! This is the only way I'd get the GFX kit.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Just how come GM leaves us IOM guy's out.
No painted GFX and no Painted Heritage Grill.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
That's a really, really good price for dealer installed/painted gfx! I did a little shopping around and bought mine off ebay for $1200 then had a local body shop paint/install for $500. A lot of leg work and hassle, but saved some cash. However, yours will be covered under warranty and worth the extra few bucks!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
TheDayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
That's a really, really good price for dealer installed/painted gfx! I did a little shopping around and bought mine off ebay for $1200 then had a local body shop paint/install for $500. A lot of leg work and hassle, but saved some cash. However, yours will be covered under warranty and worth the extra few bucks!
I'm really glad they actually paint it and it's not just a color matched finish. Of the 3 dealerships I visited, I didn't see one Camaro with the GFX kit. So the kit itself will definitely make the car standout since a lot of people are deterred from getting it because of the price and the fact that it can only be color matched this year and even then only to certain exterior colors. I think the kit at $2265 unpainted is way overpriced. At $2500, it's worth it.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, ordering the kit from a third party to save money. But then I'd have the hassle of finding a paint/body shop I trust and then probably another 1-2 weeks without the car to get it painted and installed. And of course I'd have no warranty. Once the car is delivered and it's going straight to the shop that same day to get an ATAK exhaust installed and a Metra kit with a Kenwood HUD. I'm hoping that will take 1-2 days at most. I want to enjoy the car the rest of the summer and be done with my modifications.