Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Can anyone help me pick out a turbo who's knowledgeable?

So I'm looking right now to try and get a feel what what type of turbo application I want for my camaro. I've read up on all sorts of things on the Garrett site, and a few other sites (randomly), but I'm still stuck. All they say is you want to know this info when selecting it, but looking at all the information in a comparison chart (pleat, trim, etc.), I'm still lost...

6.2L LS3
looking for a large single turbo running 8-12 psi
Hoping for power to start at around 3200-4000 rpm and peak slightly before redline.
looking for around 500-550 RWHP ish
Mostly looking for major pickup at speed from a roll so I can leave my stepfather's porsche on the freeway/track.

Please ask me all the questions I forgot to answer and I'll be more than happy to answer them. I'm looking to better my knowledge of turbos in general and pick one out for my car when I get it.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
I'm not an expert; I bought my turbo car already built. But I can say this, you probably don't need anywhere near that much boost to make that kind of power. My stock LS1 Camaro made about 470 rwhp on 4.5 psi. It was about 300 rwhp stock. Lower boost will be less risky and nice and linear.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Welp, here is some advice from the "Other" pony car guy.

You want to make sure that you do not buy a turbo that is "to big" for your application. A bigger turbo=longer spool up times. Also you do not want to small turbo for your app, and overspin your turbo.

For what you are looking to make powerwise, I would say a 67 turbo should do the trick in a single application. I am not sure what fuel system a SS runs, but you want to look into that as well when you are planning you app.

With the power the LS3 makes N/A, a 67mm sized turbo should easily put you into the power you want to make.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Mostly looking for major pickup at speed from a roll so I can leave my stepfather's porsche on the freeway
Where do you live? Because that can get your car crushed in some states, and it's not cool to put peoples life in danger...

Your best option is to call a company and tell them what you want. Also, who's installing this? If you've never done it before, and you're wanting to do it, you're in too deep already. I've installed a S/c on a few vehicles that had Carburetor's on them and that wasn't the easiest thing in the world either.

Do you have any idea what 12psi is going to do to this motor? I'm not saying it's going to blow, but let me know how many miles you get on your car when it happens.

What about driving 400+hp to the wheels? Ever done that?

Let some company's post their setups on here first and see what they're running...
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
So I'm looking right now to try and get a feel what what type of turbo application I want for my camaro. I've read up on all sorts of things on the Garrett site, and a few other sites (randomly), but I'm still stuck. All they say is you want to know this info when selecting it, but looking at all the information in a comparison chart (pleat, trim, etc.), I'm still lost...

6.2L LS3
looking for a large single turbo running 8-12 psi
Hoping for power to start at around 3200-4000 rpm and peak slightly before redline.
looking for around 500-550 RWHP ish
Mostly looking for major pickup at speed from a roll so I can leave my stepfather's porsche on the freeway/track.

Please ask me all the questions I forgot to answer and I'll be more than happy to answer them. I'm looking to better my knowledge of turbos in general and pick one out for my car when I get it.

Thanks!
Done this before. It costs less in the long run and you get better results if you go with a known turbo kit.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
[QUOTE=Epitath;530789]Where do you live? Because that can get your car crushed in some states, and it's not cool to put peoples life in danger...[quote]

I live in CA, and we don't fly up and down freeways at 120. it would be on like highway 5 when you can't see any cars for miles in front or behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitath View Post
Your best option is to call a company and tell them what you want. Also, who's installing this? If you've never done it before, and you're wanting to do it, you're in too deep already. I've installed a S/c on a few vehicles that had Carburetor's on them and that wasn't the easiest thing in the world either.
A reputable company that's done several turbos on cars before will be installing this system. My stepfather owned a bodyshop for years and has contacts, but I'm making sure I get it done someplace where I feel comfortable that they know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Do you have any idea what 12psi is going to do to this motor? I'm not saying it's going to blow, but let me know how many miles you get on your car when it happens.
No I don't know. All I know is that it will rock my world if I decide to go WOT. 12 isn't a 100% this-is-what-i-want figure, but I was using it as a starting figure. I'll probably go for 5-7psi since I'm looking for something that will last me a little while.

Quote:
What about driving 400+hp to the wheels? Ever done that?
Several times. I've been to Skip Barber driving and racing schools, I've driven vipers and a few modified porsches at tracks. I don't plan on putting the turbo on right away, so I can get a feel for the power of the car before any modification is done. Only then will I work on adding mods, but I'm not stupid/reckless in anyway. That is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I even get the car. I'm a year and a half away from even ordering.

Any other questions/comments? I appreciate the ones so far.

Quote:
Let some company's post their setups on here first and see what they're running...
I plan on it. fastlane's says they're working on turbo applications but nothing has happened yet.

@ Ninjak: Thanks for your comments, I'll keep my eyes open to see what people are running but at least I have a rough idea of the size of turbo I want.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
STS will probably come out with a twin set-up - maybe even a CARB-legal one. It's my understanding the single LS1 kit is CARB legal and will put down what, about the mid-400s. I'm a little skeert with this system because my tuner didn't have many good things to say about them when he was tuning a car with their system on it, but I think they used his suggestions to get it set up right eventually. They seem to have a great kit for C6s and they sound friggin' awesome from videos I've seen. I think I'd just try to find a package, not so much piece one together, like has already been suggested. APS is a good company, but I doubt they'll apply for CARB. The biggest worry I have about STS systems is the remote turbos and oil pumps. I just worry the pumps burn up and you loose the turbo or there's a problem with a line and such. It's probably never happened on a car that was set-up correctly, but that's just me.

I'm sure we're going to be seeing systems developed really soon

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
wavrun2000
o come on

Drives: 06 GTO
Yeah you will probably want to look into a small to medium sized turbo. I am going to take a shoot here and say that 5-6psi is a safe range. Anything above that is just going to result in problems. Now if you forge the motor you could go with 12psi or even more and still be safe, and that will show you stepfather that he bought the wrong car :flag2: (hint hint)
wavrun2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Scott at intense-racing is an expert on turbos, he has a G8 TT runing 10's daily driver. Check it out, www.intense-racing.com
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote