#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-25-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
LORDOBERON

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Speed Engineering Heat Exchangers

good afternoon all,

has anyone with an 20 and up used the speed engineering heat exchangers, their website says for years 17 - 19 Zl1 and 16- 19 CTS-V. i have a 21 Zl1 and want to use these. will they fit the 2020 and up

Thanks
LORDOBERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
same...they will fit
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:49 AM   #3
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Yes, 17-23 are all the same for heat exchangers.

Please report back on the fitment and quality if you do order them though. I have been curious about them since they are so cheap. I just recently ordered the Weapon-X triple exchanger set with the black ice coating. I think a lot of people want to know if SE is a quality option.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
Yes, 17-23 are all the same for heat exchangers.

Please report back on the fitment and quality if you do order them though. I have been curious about them since they are so cheap. I just recently ordered the Weapon-X triple exchanger set with the black ice coating. I think a lot of people want to know if SE is a quality option.
I have the WeaponX triple exchanger set and am very happy with those.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I have the WeaponX triple exchanger set and am very happy with those.
Thanks for the feedback! I considered the SE exchangers, but this is a brand new, nice car, I just didn't feel right about putting a cheaply made (unknown quality) parts on. Plus the black ice coating should help even more with heat soak, so I felt it was worth the extra money.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #6
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I think i'm going to try them out.

Remember sometimes a lot of companies buy parts and just re-brand them. I'm sure there are other companies using these with their name on it
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
LORDOBERON

Drives: chevrolet camaro
I've looked at all the different companies that make them, and they all look exactly the same, except for the company Logo on some of them.

Last edited by LORDOBERON; 07-26-2023 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added more information
LORDOBERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #8
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
My only curiosity is if these are really needed. GM really did their homework with the ZL1 1LE on the cooling because of the problems they had with the Z06. I'm wondering if the thicker cooler will definitely take air away from the radiator and the AC condenser and curious if this will cause problems down the road. For us track rats having the supercharger cooler is great but making sure the radiator is keeping the engine cool is very important as well.
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:22 PM   #9
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I have them. They add capacity but be aware that the brackets for the small heat exchangers have to be modified a bit to fit due to the bigger tank size which also interferes with the rock guards in front of them. I had to shave about 1/4" off them where they butt up to tanks to get the rock guards to fit correctly. Not too bad to mod overall though.

At the time, I measured the exact amount of coolant I gained but of course I then lost track of the paper I wrote it down on. Between the 3, I think it was a bit over 1 gallon. 1 small cooler is for the engine FYI.

I believe I picked up about .5MPH in the 1/4 mile by just doing this. The car consistently trapped 124something before and now traps 125 consistently.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:27 AM   #10
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKgoFAST View Post
My only curiosity is if these are really needed. GM really did their homework with the ZL1 1LE on the cooling because of the problems they had with the Z06. I'm wondering if the thicker cooler will definitely take air away from the radiator and the AC condenser and curious if this will cause problems down the road. For us track rats having the supercharger cooler is great but making sure the radiator is keeping the engine cool is very important as well.
This is why you upgrade all 3. The center and drivers side are for the supercharger coolant. The passenger side exchanger is an auxiliary radiator, so it should cancel out the loss of flow to the main radiator from the center exchanger. You could potentially have a performance reduction in your A/C system due to the condenser being partially blocked, but I doubt it would be enough to notice.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:40 AM   #11
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDOBERON View Post
I've looked at all the different companies that make them, and they all look exactly the same, except for the company Logo on some of them.
From all the ones I've looked at, while having similar shape, I have noticed that some have taller and/or thicker cores. The main concern for me though is the weld quality. WeaponX, as well as others like LMP, are made in house, hand tig welded, and pressure tested before they are shipped. The Speed Engineering are definitely made in China and are machine welded. This isn't necessarily a horrible thing, but it could be a higher potential for leaks. Like I said before, I was considering these, but I just decided to go with WPX for peace of mind. Plus I really like that they offer the black ice coating for better heat dissipation.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #12
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
No matter what headers you get - make sure you get them jet hot / ceramic coated for up to 2500'. LT4's run very hot through the manifolds. Do everything needful to keep the underhood temps down.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:10 AM   #13
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
No matter what headers you get - make sure you get them jet hot / ceramic coated for up to 2500'. LT4's run very hot through the manifolds. Do everything needful to keep the underhood temps down.
I got my headers back from jet hot a month or so ago. They got the 2500°F coating and started bubbling and chipping after the first drive. There were no nicks or scrapes from installation where they started bubbling. I called to talk warranty and after looking at pictures and the bubbling, they admitted there might have been a prep issue. Of course, they offered to fix them, but most likely I won't be going through the hassle of removing them unless they get really bad, or when I drop the motor to do a cam. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the coating and kind of kick myself for not doing the swain tech coating...

I got a little off the main topic there.

@smokin19 did you have to make any modifications for the Weapon X heat exchangers to fit?
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:31 AM   #14
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Mine were upgraded but I don't know who's they are
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote