Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Talking SOLO Axle-back or Flowmaster Outlaw?

Hi all,
I'm getting that itch again - want a bit more growl from my exhaust. I'm looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw or the SOLO Axle-back with J-Pipes. I'm gonna stay with mild mods (Vararam no tune, and axle-back) no headers or anything else. I have a M6 and my concern is drone. I know the SOLO won't have it, not sure on the Flowmaster Outlaw. They look to be both straight pipe style, with the Flowmaster's having the smallish resonator type muffler. I'm running Super 44's right now welded in, and NO drone except a very small and very tolerable bit in 6th gear. I'm extremely sensitive to drone and so when I say very tolerable I totally mean it. I think this lack of drone is due to the stock cats, not sure but that's my best guess. Opinions? Experience with either? Which is louder? Which is more of a true muscle sound?

Thanks!
Somewhatdamaged
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Personally, I'd go with the Solo. If drone is a concern then it should be a no brainer. Flowmaster sounds great but a good deal of their systems have drone issues.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Dynomax Exhaust

Drives: Camaro
No drone? Check
Axle-back? Check
Something else to consider as well in your search.

http://www.dynomax.com/application_i...l-engine-38494
Dynomax Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Hi all,
I'm getting that itch again - want a bit more growl from my exhaust. I'm looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw or the SOLO Axle-back with J-Pipes. I'm gonna stay with mild mods (Vararam no tune, and axle-back) no headers or anything else. I have a M6 and my concern is drone. I know the SOLO won't have it, not sure on the Flowmaster Outlaw. They look to be both straight pipe style, with the Flowmaster's having the smallish resonator type muffler. I'm running Super 44's right now welded in, and NO drone except a very small and very tolerable bit in 6th gear. I'm extremely sensitive to drone and so when I say very tolerable I totally mean it. I think this lack of drone is due to the stock cats, not sure but that's my best guess. Opinions? Experience with either? Which is louder? Which is more of a true muscle sound?

Thanks!
Somewhatdamaged

Somewhatdamaged – Your current system sounds like it’s perfect for you if your ears are sensitive, but if you want aggressive…look no further than our Outlaw Axle-Back. We’re sure there are a few Outlaw customers here that can chime in with opinions on how their kits sound at different RPMs.

We love watching this video.

flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Question

Thanks for the reply flowmann....I really like the aggressiveness of the Outlaw, just not sure on the true volume/drone difference from the Super 44's. In your opinion, how much louder are they? Would the 1 chamber Super 10's be an in between volume?
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Thanks for the reply flowmann....I really like the aggressiveness of the Outlaw, just not sure on the true volume/drone difference from the Super 44's. In your opinion, how much louder are they? Would the 1 chamber Super 10's be an in between volume?
Ls3 is different the the L99. L99 drone seemed to be in the 2300-3000 rpm range so on the freeway is minimal at 65-75. I have them on my Stock LS3 and drone is bad in the 1500-2300 rpm range right where you dont want it. Resonated X pipe reduced it to the 1500-1800 rpm range, made it less and less decel popping which was also alot.Tone is a bit more quiet though to.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Aldo68

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS, 87 Monte Carlo SS
I have the Solo Axle Back with J-Pipes and they don't have any drone. At cruising speed the sound is not that loud, however the system could really be heard when I hit the gas, enough to set off car alarms. I have an A6 so the AFM and drone was a real concern which was the reason I when with the Solo exhaust.
Aldo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
I love my Outlaws. I have no drone on my L99 that I can detect and I have shown it many times. That being said I have an H pipe and no resinators. What will be interesting is how it sounds with the Long Tube and High flow cats that are being installled.
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote