Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ISSUE WITH EXPOSED CF INSERT

Ok I have Clayed, Glazed, and Waxed the exposed carbon fiber hood insert. I noticed this milky haze a few days ago when I began my first detail. It isn't noticable in direct sunlight only when it's in the garage when you look at it at just the right angle can you tell its there. The picture only shows one there is another on the opposite side but it is smaller.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Would you make a warranty claim? The car has 450 miles on it. And with the exception of a small paint defect under the hood near the fan shroud it is in perfect condition.

Attached Images

Last edited by charlietuna; 09-13-2012 at 08:49 PM.
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
camaro2rs
Account Suspended

Drives: camaro
if it is turning purple yes bring it to the dealer and they will give u a new one
camaro2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
I had the same issue. Dealer ordered a new one and installed it in 20min.
Schmo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
MyCamaroZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, Ashen Gray, A6
Somebody hasn't been reading the manual... Poor Z.
MyCamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCamaroZL1 View Post
Somebody hasn't been reading the manual... Poor Z.
I have a RS and I remember reading something about this in the ZL1 manual.

Hood Air Extractor
It is not recommended that the air extractor on the ZL1 be waxed, as it will change the gloss level of the surface. In addition, care must be used when waxing around the extractor. If a small amount of wax is applied to the extractor it can create an irregular appearance in the surface of the panel. If wax, debris, or other materials create stains on the air extractor, see your dealer for the recommended cleaner.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
I have a RS and I remember reading something about this in the ZL1 manual.

Hood Air Extractor
It is not recommended that the air extractor on the ZL1 be waxed, as it will change the gloss level of the surface. In addition, care must be used when waxing around the extractor. If a small amount of wax is applied to the extractor it can create an irregular appearance in the surface of the panel. If wax, debris, or other materials create stains on the air extractor, see your dealer for the recommended cleaner.
Doesn't this refer to caring for the painted extractor and not the ECF?

ISTR that this referred to caring for the painted matt finish and not the glossy ECF insert.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I don't think any wax caused the purple effect. It is in the clear coat used on the CF insert. The manual link posted says not to use any sealant/wax on the car at all on page 10-97. Then later on the same it says to use a wax or polish occassionally to remove debris from the finish. How contradictory.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
i had the same problem with the paint around the "CAMARO" badge on the side of my z. you can only notice it when you really look for it though
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I thought you could wax the ECF with no problems and that it was only the Matte Black insert that was discontinued that you had to be really careful with?

If that's not the case then it's not been communicated very well - but I'm sure waxing the ECF is fine as it's clearcoated
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
I had similar marks near the ZL1 badge but on the paint. It appeared as though something had laid on the hood, bird bomb, hard water, something at the factory. It looked like there was a cloudy spot in the paint.

A quick buff with Adams Fine Machine Polish is all it took to remove it. Don't use anything harsh, a finishing polish is all that it will take to remove it and you can go ahead and do the entire hood while your at it.

Then throw on a good sealant of your choice and no more worries
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Went to my dealer on my way in to work today. They need to call GM to approve a replacement. I will let you know.

btw Exposed Carbon Fiber can be waxed without issue. This flaw is under the clear coat.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Went to my dealer on my way in to work today. They need to call GM to approve a replacement. I will let you know.

btw Exposed Carbon Fiber can be waxed without issue. This flaw is under the clear coat.
That's what I understood, and the main reason I choose the ECF rather than the painted one for my Black ZL1 Vert. I didn't want to always have to be carefull not to get wax on the insert.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
That's what I understood, and the main reason I choose the ECF rather than the painted one for my Black ZL1 Vert. I didn't want to always have to be carefull not to get wax on the insert.
I have the black insert and I'm worried about the damage a bird bomb will do. I have yet to protect it with any type of protectant, but I know I won't be able to rub out any insect or bird damage from the matte finish.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Mine has the same issue.........it looks as though the dealer buffed it with a rotary before placing the car in the showroom. It's only noticeable in direct sunlight and at certain angles............I'm having more issues with the black color than the ECF...........LOL!
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote