Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #281
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
He, he, he ... another converted soul.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #282
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quick question for you guys in intermediate or advanced groups, what brake pads/rotors do you use? I was told to ditch the slotted/drilled rotors in favor of the stock solids because the drilled can crack when put to hard use. I also am running with Hawk Performance ceramic pads which sucked on the track. What pads are good for lower dust than OE but good track manners while not chewing up the rotors? Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #283
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Quick question for you guys in intermediate or advanced groups, what brake pads/rotors do you use? I was told to ditch the slotted/drilled rotors in favor of the stock solids because the drilled can crack when put to hard use. I also am running with Hawk Performance ceramic pads which sucked on the track. What pads are good for lower dust than OE but good track manners while not chewing up the rotors? Thanks!
YES, DITCH THE DRILLED & slotted.
I have 6 piston calipers, run the cts-v rotors & hawk hps pads. never had an issue with the brakes all day.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #284
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
YES, DITCH THE DRILLED & slotted.
I have 6 piston calipers, run the cts-v rotors & hawk hps pads. never had an issue with the brakes all day.
What is the difference between the CTS-V rotors and OE SS rotors? Are the the same diameter? Can I use the stock Brembo calipers with them?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #285
TLSTWIN

Quote:
What is the difference between the CTS-V rotors and OE SS rotors? Are the the same diameter? Can I use the stock Brembo calipers with them?
Larger diameter, lighter, dissipate heat quicker.

They won't work with ss calipers, too big.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #286
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Oh man I can see where this is gonna be an expensive hobby! I think for now it's gonna be the stock rotors and upgraded pads till I get some scratch saved up for an upgrade! Just need to know a good set of pads to use for now with the stock rotors.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #287
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Oh man I can see where this is gonna be an expensive hobby! I think for now it's gonna be the stock rotors and upgraded pads till I get some scratch saved up for an upgrade! Just need to know a good set of pads to use for now with the stock rotors.
I can get into the 6piston upgrade for just under $1,000.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #288
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I can get into the 6piston upgrade for just under $1,000.
Wow, not bad! Problem is what do I do with my beautiful powdercoated calipers? This track stuff is not bling friendly! lol!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #289
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Wow, not bad! Problem is what do I do with my beautiful powdercoated calipers? This track stuff is not bling friendly! lol!
have you not seen the pictures of my garage?
Camaro tack off parts make nice wall art
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #290
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Keep your calipers, go stock rotors and stock pads to be honest. They will do fine for a while and on the street you will get good performance too. Add coolling ducts if you want and you can beat on them all day long without much worry.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #291
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Keep your calipers, go stock rotors and stock pads to be honest. They will do fine for a while and on the street you will get good performance too. Add coolling ducts if you want and you can beat on them all day long without much worry.
he's right, I did 3 track days (2 at midohio) and around 19,000 miles on the stockers, they did decent and still actually have life left in them.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #292
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
How did your ducts work out?

Will you be at C5FEST?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #293
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Thanks! That will be a lot cheaper for the short run till I'm ready to get serious!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #294
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How did your ducts work out?

Will you be at C5FEST?
The ducts were awesome, it was really hot and I was braking deep into corners without issues. Was really surprised how well they worked. The last session I did about 6-7 laps all out, no traffic, with pads that were already touching the wear indicator spring. I got them to smell pretty bad towards the end but never lost output. Laptimes were awesome too so I gave it all I had that day.

I wish I could make camaro fest but my two kids are too young for that long a drive, daughter got sick too. Really bummed out but I am optimistic bout next year. You guys will have a blast with the camaro engineers there and the Z/28 will set the forums on fire. Pictures dont do it justice, same goes for the 14 1LEs, very sharp.

Tags
aimless cant drive.., road course action in mi, ssmike can't get enough