Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
When/How to clean/oil air filter

I tried to do some searching, but didn't seem to find a concrete answer.

I have a Cold Air Inductions CAI installed on my 2011 1LT.

My question is this:
Is there a certain amount of time or miles I should wait before cleaning and oiling my air filter?

Also, what is the best technique to oiling and cleaning?

Thanks
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Cai inc sells a recharge kit or you can buy a new filter from their site.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
I tried to do some searching, but didn't seem to find a concrete answer.

I have a Cold Air Inductions CAI installed on my 2011 1LT.

My question is this:
Is there a certain amount of time or miles I should wait before cleaning and oiling my air filter?

Also, what is the best technique to oiling and cleaning?

Thanks
It depends on where you drive you car. If your area is dusty then every 10-15k miles is probably about right. In most areas 20-25k is fine. All you need is to pick up a recharge kit and....

Step 1. Remove - Remove the filter from your vehicle and ensure that no dirt or other debris enters the intake tube while the filter is off.

Step 2. Pre-Clean - Using your hand and/or compressed air (no more than 100 psi using a standard air nozzle) remove the larger visible debris from the outside of the filter. When using compressed air keep the nozzle at least 6” from the filter media.

Step 3. Clean - Spray the outside of the filter with the supplied CAI Inc. cleaning solution until the entire outer filter media is evenly saturated. Allow the filter to rest so the solution can soak in for 15 minutes.

Step 4. Rinse - Rinse the Filter with warm water by running the water from the clean side of the filter thru to the dirty side of the filter, so that the water can flush the dirt out and off of the filter.

Step 5. Dry - Allow the filter to air dry naturally. (DO NOT use heat sources in attempt to dry the filter faster as this may damage the filter media fibers and/or shrink them.)

Step 6. Oil – Once dry, apply the supplied CAI Inc. oil solution to the outside of the filter media using 1 spray for every 2 square inches of filter media. DO NOT OVER OIL

Step 7. Dry – Allow oiled filter to dry for 30 minutes so that oil can soak into and “recharge” the filter media. You should be able to handle the filter without the oil coming off on your hands, once this is the case your filter is ready to be reinstalled.

Step 8. Reinstall – Properly reinstall your recharged filter and make sure all connections are tight.

Step 9. Drink A Beer
- Figure that one out on your own.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I'm glad to see step nine, drink beer, was not used in the first step lol
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It depends on where you drive you car. If your area is dusty then every 10-15k miles is probably about right. In most areas 20-25k is fine. All you need is to pick up a recharge kit and....

Step 1. Remove - Remove the filter from your vehicle and ensure that no dirt or other debris enters the intake tube while the filter is off.

Step 2. Pre-Clean - Using your hand and/or compressed air (no more than 100 psi using a standard air nozzle) remove the larger visible debris from the outside of the filter. When using compressed air keep the nozzle at least 6” from the filter media.

Step 3. Clean - Spray the outside of the filter with the supplied CAI Inc. cleaning solution until the entire outer filter media is evenly saturated. Allow the filter to rest so the solution can soak in for 15 minutes.

Step 4. Rinse - Rinse the Filter with warm water by running the water from the clean side of the filter thru to the dirty side of the filter, so that the water can flush the dirt out and off of the filter.

Step 5. Dry - Allow the filter to air dry naturally. (DO NOT use heat sources in attempt to dry the filter faster as this may damage the filter media fibers and/or shrink them.)

Step 6. Oil – Once dry, apply the supplied CAI Inc. oil solution to the outside of the filter media using 1 spray for every 2 square inches of filter media. DO NOT OVER OIL

Step 7. Dry – Allow oiled filter to dry for 30 minutes so that oil can soak into and “recharge” the filter media. You should be able to handle the filter without the oil coming off on your hands, once this is the case your filter is ready to be reinstalled.

Step 8. Reinstall – Properly reinstall your recharged filter and make sure all connections are tight.

Step 9. Drink A Beer
- Figure that one out on your own.
Thanks!
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote