Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #827
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Nope:

"What's more, it's priced to steal. Base sticker for the 1SS manual: just $30,995. With the Boston Acoustics audio package, our cloth-seat tester climbed only to $31,490."

For some reason I also initially thought it was a 2SS as well. It doesn't sound like it was an RS either.
I bow out then...I was wrong and have no problems admitting it. I will not concede however at the fact that as cool as that stuff is, it was still not a blow-out by any means....and under controlled conditions.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #828
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Merf your full of opinions and thats about it. you stated your ideas and what YOU think this engine to be. truth is YOU DONT KNOW so how can you even begin to try to knock it down as if you already know what is going to happen?

if you know something we dont by all means display your info, your opinion is obviously made out of dislike anyone on here can tell that, it's not hard to see how badly you want the mustang to fail, how about we have a real convo with real facts? instead of you complaining about how ford cant possibly do this and this engine cant possibly do that when you really have NO IDEA.

not one thing you said as of yet has been outside of your own opinion. think outside the box. your just showing hate more than knowledge, dont be one of those guys who can't accept anything but your own thoughts and ideas.

one of your first replies gave a feeling of "psshhh no way" "mustang owners are going to be dissapointed"... i dont believe mustang owners have ever been dissapointed in the last 46 years and 9 million plus mustangs and the fact that it would take us 40hp to catch up to a 426hp camaro, i would give that props if it was the other way around, no excuses, the camaro is a hot car and faster than the stang by all means i can say that with ease.but you cant give the 315hp mustang some props with its dinosaur ancient SRA it managed to match and at times put up better numbers than the mighty IRS. you can't escape that no matter how hard you try to hit us with your OPINION.

let's do the thread a favor and keep facts in it, there are people wondering about competition and there are people who are curious about the new engine lets leave it at that? no need to substitute facts for how you feel.. mmk

Last edited by fdjizm; 05-19-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #829
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Yeah, the trackpack helps the Mustang a ton, no doubt about that. However, while the Mustang will handle as good (or better) than the SS, IRS is going to give the Camaro a better ride quality. Personally, I would rather have better ride quality than handling ability, although both are going to be top-notch on these cars.

Now a 2011 Mustang with the 5.0, trackpack, and dual-clutch transmission? Yes please.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #830
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ha off topic but im picking up a 91 5.0 tomorow till I get my freakin camaro
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #831
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
The Corvette has an IRS and is lighter than the mustang - that means IRS is better?? The mustang is lighter than the camaro and ran good numbers car for car. If the camaro was the same weight as the mustang, which one do you think would win out? IRS or live axle? How many performace cars are still live axle? Just wondering....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #832
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
The Corvette has an IRS and is lighter than the mustang - that means IRS is better?? The mustang is lighter than the camaro and ran good numbers car for car. If the camaro was the same weight as the mustang, which one do you think would win out? IRS or live axle? How many performace cars are still live axle? Just wondering....
how many cars still use pushrods
if it works it works and its been proven.

irs is not new, sra is not new, overhead cams are not new, pushrods are not new, they work on their respective vehicles. thats all that needs to be said.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #833
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
I could really care less about live axle or not - but the fact that I am getting a Camaro, then I guess I will enjoy the IRS ride quality. I am sure there are pros and cons to both. I am not taking anything away from the mustang but if you had 2 cars the same weight and compared the 2 with IRS and live axle, which one would come out better? You make the best with the hand you are dealt and I am just glad to see Amercian muscle on the street and being talked about again.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #834
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
"mustang owners are going to be dissapointed"... i dont believe mustang owners have ever been dissapointed in the last 46 years and 9 million plus mustangs and the fact that it would take us 40hp to catch up to a 426hp camaro, i would give that props if it was the other way around, no excuses, the camaro is a hot car and faster than the stang by all means i can say that with ease.but you cant give the 315hp mustang some props with its dinosaur ancient SRA it managed to match and at times put up better numbers than the mighty IRS. you can't escape that no matter how hard you try to hit us with your OPINION.
quoted for truth
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 AM   #835
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I already conceded that if it is a DI engine then it's doable and very realistic (which I also added would hike the price up considerably). If it isn't, you show me an engine with 5.0L or less of displacement that achieves close to 400HP without an extreme cam/head/high compression and I'll again concede.
That is a tall order since there aren't to many 400 hp engines. But if we just look for engines that make 80+ HP/L its easy.

The base engine of that powerhouse the 09 Civic almost makes it with 75 HP/L and the hotter 2.0 in the Si makes almost 100 HP/L.

The Ford Escape's 3.0L V6 makes 240hp, exactly 80 HP/L.

80 HP/L is a hard figure to hit with 2 valves and push rods, but with 4 valves, DOHC and good VVT it is easy.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #836
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
That is a tall order since there aren't to many 400 hp engines. But if we just look for engines that make 80+ HP/L its easy.

The base engine of that powerhouse the 09 Civic almost makes it with 75 HP/L and the hotter 2.0 in the Si makes almost 100 HP/L.

The Ford Escape's 3.0L V6 makes 240hp, exactly 80 HP/L.

80 HP/L is a hard figure to hit with 2 valves and push rods, but with 4 valves, DOHC and good VVT it is easy.

z06 comes close at about 72 (underrated a smidge)
Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #837
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Yeah, the trackpack helps the Mustang a ton, no doubt about that. However, while the Mustang will handle as good (or better) than the SS, IRS is going to give the Camaro a better ride quality. Personally, I would rather have better ride quality than handling ability, although both are going to be top-notch on these cars.
The thing to keep in mind, the difference in ride quality in the current gen cars is negligible between IRS and Non-IRS. Probably a non-factor in deciding which car to get, so nobody is changing cars based on this. I would know, since I drive both every day.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #838
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
The thing to keep in mind, the difference in ride quality in the current gen cars is negligible between IRS and Non-IRS. Probably a non-factor in deciding which car to get, so nobody is changing cars based on this. I would know, since I drive both every day.
In the city? I doubt it. I think it would make a substantial ride quality improvement on Richmond city roads.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #839
fdjizm
Account Suspended

where i am from nobody goes super fast over rough roads anyway, i just dont think that is safe in any car, who doesnt slow down for rough road? so a camaro is going to zip through it?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #840
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I go super fast over all roads. I can haz speedz mofo. My type R sticker make it impossible to slow down.

LOL, but seriously.... it doesn't take 100 MPH speeds to notice a difference. Are you really trying to say IRS doesn't provide superior ride quality? Don't go there.

Example:
Over uneven/rough surfaces covered with pot holes only the wheels that hit the pot holes absorb the shock. A live axle would transfer the shockwave of the bump through the entire car.

But continue drinking the proverbial koolaid you like to speak of so often.

Closed Thread