Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
BigE82

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Service Airbag Light

Hey everyone I have done some searching and not found much, I'm hoping that I can fix the issue myself instead of taking to the dealer. But the other day my "service airbar" light came on for no apparent reason. From what I have read if the service light is on then none of the airbags would deploy if in an accident? My 9 year old rides with me alot and thats not something I want to malfunction in that kind of scenario. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem, or if there is some kind of recall on the sensors?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Meister

Drives: 2016 Corvette Stingray Z51
Had that message on my 2005 Yukon XL Denali recently. Nothing wrong with the airbag but the battery was not charging. Replaced battery and no more airbag warning. Might want to check your battery first. GL

Last edited by Meister; 04-12-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE82 View Post
Hey everyone I have done some searching and not found much, I'm hoping that I can fix the issue myself instead of taking to the dealer. But the other day my "service airbar" light came on for no apparent reason. From what I have read if the service light is on then none of the airbags would deploy if in an accident? My 9 year old rides with me alot and thats not something I want to malfunction in that kind of scenario. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem, or if there is some kind of recall on the sensors?
Only dealers can reset a "service airbag" light unfortunately. But yes, if the "service airbag" light is on - there is a chance that it would not deploy in the even of an accident.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
You must scan the computer first and get a code or codes to reference so we can lead you in the right direction. There are multiple reasons to cause that light, such as: Crash sensor, air bag, module(s), seat belt sensor, etc. So we won't be able to just guess your fix.

If you can't get it scanned (which you should), then you can disconnect both positive and negative battery terminals from the battery and touch them together. Make SURE that the terminals are not in any way touching the leads on the battery. If you do that for about 15 seconds it will drain the memory from the modules. Reconnect them and see how long or even if the warning reappears.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Beer Thirty
5:30 somewhere

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Mine use to do it every time I moved the seat. Check the cables under the seat. I finally took it to the dealer and they had to put a zip tie on the connector. Kept coming loose.
Beer Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
BigE82

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
thanks for the info. I just contacted my local dealership and was told there is no type of warenty that might of covered it and just to have them pull the codes it would cost me $125! Then parts and labor! I beleive as soon as I get home I'll pull my own codes and post them here for help just really hope I dont have to go to the dealer.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE82 View Post
Hello BigE82,

Sorry your experiencing some issues here with your service airbag light. I definitely understand your concern here with this safety issue. I would like to assist in this situation. Could you please private message me your VIN# and mileage? I can then investigate your situation further and follow up with you. Should you decide to take in your vehicle to a dealership, I can also help make that appointment for you as well.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
RedDragon

Drives: 1967 Camaro and SIM 2013 ZL1
Any news? I have the same issue.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
Any news? I have the same issue.
The same answer applies. You need to have the codes pulled. Use your scan tool, goto AutoZone, or take it to the dealer and simply let them fix it.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote