Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Whipple SC installation compared to Maggie installation

Well, I have decided I will be adding a SC kit to my L99. I was pretty much set on the Magnacharger 2300 as I had studied the installation guide and to be honest, it all seemed extremely simple and straight forward as I plan to install myself.

Then I started reading about the Whipple 2.9 SC kits and have really liked what I have been learning about them, especially the ability to offer much more performance on "Built" engines if I decide to go that way down the road.

Problem is that I have not been able to track down the installation instructions for the Whipple. If its as easy to install as the Maggie I would rather go that way but until I have been able to read through the instructions, I am a bit leary to dive into a Whipple with the Maggie being so easy to install.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to to get a set of installation instruction for the Whipple SC on a 2010 camaro L99?

Thanks,

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
I did my own install on the Magna Charger and it is really that straight forward, and I believe, "Big Squirrel" has his Whipple install in this section also. Search and you should find several builds of each.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Well, I have decided I will be adding a SC kit to my L99. I was pretty much set on the Magnacharger 2300 as I had studied the installation guide and to be honest, it all seemed extremely simple and straight forward as I plan to install myself.

Then I started reading about the Whipple 2.9 SC kits and have really liked what I have been learning about them, especially the ability to offer much more performance on "Built" engines if I decide to go that way down the road.

Problem is that I have not been able to track down the installation instructions for the Whipple. If its as easy to install as the Maggie I would rather go that way but until I have been able to read through the instructions, I am a bit leary to dive into a Whipple with the Maggie being so easy to install.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to to get a set of installation instruction for the Whipple SC on a 2010 camaro L99?

Thanks,
My sudgestion to you would be to first start with a forged engine first made for s/c applications and then go with the whipple, I have ls3 stock making 600rwhp, I regret not having done the engine first, but if your just planing on getting blower for now, it will still consider the whipple it has lower discharge temps and a very good hp potential. the magie has good torque to it, but the more boost you run the hotter it will get and then you really need to upgrade your engine, alot of people are running magies with meth to try and prevent detonation. also you can email whipple for a pdf copy of the instrucion and there pretty good about giving you advise.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
The Whipple is a little bit harder install than the Maggie, but it's easily doable. I see no reason you can't install either yourself.

We have one Maggie Polished kit left in stock & priced SUPER AGGRESSIVELY! We're switching our inventory to all Whipple's so if you need pricing for either shoot me a PM!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I have been going back and forth on this for a while, which to do first, supercharger or start with a new engine. I do not want insane power but would love to get into that 800 RWHP range but after talking to a very trusted shop, I do not think that level of power is in the cards at least right now money wise. As such, I had pretty much settled on just installing the bolt ons to my L99. In all honesty it will give me all the power I will ever need.

My other line of thinking was to order in an LSX 376 which is supposed to be built specifically for forced induction applications with a good SC compression ratio and forged bottom end.

I have looked around and it looks like for $5500 I could have an LSX 376 long block in the shop but then it would set my SC back at least a year saving money for that.

This has been the reason for my waivering on the decision. Do I want a good increase in performance now and install the SC with mild boost levels and then save up for the stout bottom end to be replaced a year or two down the road.

Or, live with 370 RWHP for a year or two and build the engine/SC all at once. Hard to wait and thats why I am wanting to go with the SC now and continue to save for the new engine.

The way I see it, if the motor lets loose and I am already planning on a new motor, It would not be a huge deal.

Do I sound confused, Not really, I know where I want to end up, just not sure on which path I want to take to get to that point as there are many ways to get there.

Thanks for all the help guys, any and all recommendations most appreciated.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
The maggie install is not that bad at all and you don't need to remove the front end. The maggie is good for close to 600RWHP with headers, cam and heads.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
You will be happy with either,install will be close but i have not installed a whipple. The more room to grow with a whipple i would take with a grain of salt UNTIL its been done. We are curently at over 800rwhp and 840rwt with our little 2300 and were not done yet,this is with the less desirable ls1 style head.The maggie has a proven track reacord with years of ls cars running them, i can not speak on the whipple other than to say it looks like a great product as well.If we can help you with your purchase of the 2300 give us a call.We are currently running a special when you buy a 2300 you get a FREE set of our axles!!With either system your gona need axles!!!
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
send whipple an email from their website and they will send you a pdf of the install. i got mine sent this way prior to buying the blower.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Have you thought that 800rwhp thing through thoroughly? That's a really high rent neighborhood to move into. 600 at the wheels is easily doable and still damn near double what you have now. It can be done on your stock long block too. With a good tune, your motor will be fine. Also, the rest of your drivetrain might live a while unless you're hell bent on tearing stuff up. At 800 wheel, you can just start with the forged motor and upgrade everything behind and even around it. You're talking serious bucks and lots of professional help (for the car and your mind too).

Start with a meager 600 wheel and see how you like it. If the motor has problems, it's usually a piston and probably won't turn your long block into scrap. After that, you'll have a good idea where you want things to eventually end up.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote