Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #1219
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Who is coming to SEMA?
Only if you can get me in....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #1220
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
There are very valid reasons why the "Corvette track-star" is considered to be the Z06/Z07. It takes an incredibly talented "shoe" to wring 100% (or close to it) out of a ZR1. The car IS a monster, and not for the short-of-talent in any way...shape...form. Not that a Z06 is soooo much easier to "handle"...but it's certainly easier to get near-10/10ths out of a 500 hp car, than it is a 638 hp car. As it would also be on the street...

And so would a "production LS7" ZEE vs. a ZL1...less weight, less dough, more "fun", more sense of accomplishment. And maybe...just maybe...just as quick around a track...

More smiles per mile!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #1221
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Only if you can get me in....
They may not let me in
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #1222
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
They may not let me in
That I highly doubt!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #1223
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
so throw all your parts away but keep the block.

it won't be an LS3, and if you're going to all that trouble you might as well install an lsx454.
You'll still have an LS3 but a properly built LS3 that won't fall apart under boost. Call it whatever you want for that matter, GM uses same block on all their engines uses better internals on some of them and then labels them LS3, LS7, or LSA, who cares about labels. I like Levis', because they stand the test of time, can use the same baseline and voila you have Parasuco. Know what I mean? The LS3 block and heads are the baseline, the rest is mix / match depending on what kind of power you want and confidence it won't grenade when you're at WOT.

Keep heads, and block and everything else, just replace pistons / rods, crank should be good to 800hp. But, everything else is trash.

If you want NA then there are other options, or get a 454 (if you have the scratch), but don't put any adders on it or you'll end up with a nice conversation piece in the middle of your living room.

Quote:
GM never asked US (the Z/28 guys in this thread) what version of the Camaro should be Top Dog. More import is the Top Dog Camaro was the Pedders USA Camaro, you know, what the ZL1 used for a benchmark, the car that ran as fast as a Z06 TWO years ago. Now if you thought for a split second that have been sitting idly by waiting for GM match us us on track

Dear GM,

Don't be upset with Pedders. We are using GMPP Pedders parts to go faster than the ZL1 and several versions of the Vette

As for CAFE -- Note to GM: SELL MORE VOLTS, Sonics and Cruzes. A LOT more so no one feels the impact of a ground pounding LS7 V8 in the cars we love. Maybe package them. One 600 RWHP LS7 Camaro with one Sonic and a Diesel Cruze

Who is coming to SEMA?
Finally. Right on bro'. Nobody sitting around waiting for GM to decide how they're going to make more money sucking in consumers to buy muscle that's been surpased already by some dudes in their garage. I always say; Whatever GM comes out with, the aftermarket will have something 10x better that can be put on the lowest end Camaro and still kill the top dog GM version.
Of course die hard fans most popular comeback is "what about your warranty". LOL

I can't wait to see what you guys come out with next, my installer has your products (top to bottom / front to back) on their shop SS and I can tell you "if" the ZL1 grips the road any better it might be a 1-2% improvement, and I even doubt that.

My opinion is it's always a halfway job from the manufacturer which is a mediocre baseline that can be used for improvements. And, the reason is not because GM doesn't know how to do it better (they have race teams that do this for a living), its' a balance of the budget vs the deliverable and how much they forecast sales and estimate how much they can sell the vehicle.

So, by this tiem next summer there will be a bunch of 2010 Camaro SS, LSX, SSX, TT/I, TI, and a whole slew of other labels that will smoke the ZL1, Z/28 or anything else they come out with because they'll have the most displacement, biggest air adders, and sickest suspension upgrades you can buy on the open market.

Cheers to Pedders for making awesome products.

BTW - Thanks, for the on my 427 build, can't wait, getting impatient. Couldn't drive all summer.

Last edited by calbert1999; 10-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1224
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I'd be very thankful...and in the buyers' lineup at Local Chevrolet...for an n/a LS7 ZEE that makes 5% more power than an LSA, and has 5% less weight than a ZL1...for (5% + 5% =) 10% le$$...

"OK, LOWDOWN, time for your MEDS!!"

Actually, (+5% - 5% =) the SAME price would work...but only under these criteria...with a 5/100 warranty.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #1225
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
I'd be very thankful...and in the buyers' lineup at Local Chevrolet...for an n/a LS7 ZEE that makes 5% more power than an LSA, and has 5% less weight than a ZL1...for (5% + 5% =) 10% le$$...

Actually, (+5% - 5% =) the SAME price would work...but only under these criteria...with a 5/100 warranty.
You know after buying the SS I don't trust GM anymore. I'll mod mine to what I expect it to be, and that will be the last big purchase I ever make from domestic automakers, unless it's a used viper. I hear they're going for 30-40k in the US. Or a winter beater on it's last lege for $2k. LOL
But, that's it man. I gave GM one last chance to step up after the bail-out and they messed up big time.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #1226
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
You know after buying the SS I don't trust GM anymore. I'll mod mine to what I expect it to be, and that will be the last big purchase I ever make from domestic automakers, unless it's a used viper. I hear they're going for 30-40k in the US. Or a winter beater on it's last lege for $2k. LOL
But, that's it man. I gave GM one last chance to step up after the bail-out and they messed up big time.
Why, because parts designed for a 426 hp NA engine break when you add boost?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #1227
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I guess you should sale your SS then. because no matter how far you try to get, it's still going to have something GM made. and why keep something you don't trust? I'm sorry I just don't see why you would waste money on something you obviously don't like.

oh and btw just because it has heads and block of an LS3 doesn't make it an ls3. LS376. not designated an LS3 but has heads, block and most of the same internals. if you remove all internals to install forged ones you might as well build a better all around engine with forged internals from the ground up. Then sale the current engine from intake to oil pan. you have to remove the engine anyways to replace those internals.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #1228
JusticePete

Quote:

Yo GM!!! If you build it they will come
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #1229
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
JP, considering the lower ride height, internals, etc, how realistic the factory would ever do something close to this to offer public with a warranty?

I'm just not in the camp that thinks GM will build a normally aspirated engine for public consumption (Z28)above or even close to what ZL1 has. I'm thinking maybe 550HP and about 300 lbs less is about all. Maybe... if they even do it before Gen6.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #1230
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...loud and clear Pete! And I especially like hearing about the part of it hitting the streets . I talked to a source yesterday about my affinity and connection with the Z-28 and he replied why not then wait for the Z-28. Understanding it was an eventuallity gives no comfort to a performance enthusiast who can obtain something now for a predictable price rather than wait on uncertainty. I can't wait much longer. At my age grabbing a sure thing is better than waiting for something intangible that will or may happen in the near or distant future. My camp reside here, I am a Z-28 guy, and my spendible income for a Chevy Z-28 depends on if, when, and how much the Z-28 comes in at as a factory produced ride. So, in the end, the fact that I may be in on the ZL1 does not preclude me from jumping ship down the road when the time is right. I'm optomistic. You're commitment to this end will be doing the groundwork for such a future project.
Ditto! OldSchool...... like a mindreader!! That "other" finish line is all too consuming to ignore.......
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #1231
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Actually were already here.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #1232
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The reality of the LS7 situation is, there is precedence for more output. Folks like LPE and Katech, two GM-friendly and -associated "power consultants", offer long-term warranteed versions of this fine engine with well over 550 hp. 600+, in fact...

If GM can raise the LSA stakes by 4.3% (580 vs. 556), I'm confident the same factor could apply to the LS7...which could then total 527 hp. With 5/100 coverage...

A Z/28, brought in at 1SS Curb (3850) with an enhanced LS7 rating (527) would deliver a power-to-weight of 7.30. Remember when folks ooh'd 'n awed at the ZL1's possibility of a 7.24 (4025/556)???

With at least 200 fewer pounds over the nose, which one would outrun which?

Witching, indeed...

Too bad Vince Piggins wasn't around to take "Pete" Estes for another "test drive"... Maybe Ron Fellows could drag Dan A. kickin' 'n screamin' 'round Spring Mountain...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro