Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Atmospheric Catch Can

For those looking for max performance, I recently had a custom atmospheric catch-can installed. The system does not recirculate. It is mounted so the breather is very close to the extractor to minimize any oil odor. The valve covers were bored from 3/8 to 5/8 for greater flow and dash 10 braided lines used. A small drain plug is located in the bottom. A deflector plate runs the length of the can from top to bottom, so oil is unlikely to clog the breather quickly. The line to the supercharger and the intake were vacuum capped. Now there is NO dirty air in the intake tract at all - not even gasses. Its only been on the car a day, so I will report back with any smell/function issues. This was a one off, but they will go into production after validation on my car.
Attached Images

Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
I saw pictures of it last night, and it's a great looking product.. Looking forward on your report back. If it works well, I'll definitely buy one

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
I'd be worried that water might get on to the breather. That location does not seem good at all. Look under ther hood of your Z there's a scoop that channels water away to that direction.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I'd be worried that water might get on to the breather. That location does not seem good at all. Look under ther hood of your Z there's a scoop that channels water away to that direction.
I didn't think about that.. Nice catch

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Drew P

Ya, that is a valid concern. However, this can is positive displacement only, meaning there is never any suction in through the breather...it only breathes out, so no water will be sucked into the can. I washed my car today and will check to see. Even if it does get wet, I am not overly concerned. The breather is fabric, not paper, so Im not worried about it falling apart. Beyond that, a little water now and then shouldn't cause any functional issues. I will keep an eye on it though.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Subscribed been look around for a new set up. Do you know what their price range is.

sent form my mini computer note 2
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
Ya, that is a valid concern. I washed my car today and will check to see. Even if it does get wet, I am not overly concerned. The breather is fabric, not paper, so Im not worried about it falling apart. Beyond that, a little water now and then shouldnt cause any functional issues. I will keep an eye on it though.
A wash is completely different than driving in the rain..if you don't take your Z in the rain, you have nothing to worry about. doubt a wash will do any harm..good luck! Keep us posted!
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Drew P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterv6 View Post
Subscribed been look around for a new set up. Do you know what their price range is.

No, I dont. Im sure they will put it up on their website eventually. I dont think you can talk prices in this forum anyway. Im just posting what I have done to my car. I dont work for D3 Performance Engineering, I just get work done by them.

Last edited by Drew P; 08-25-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Pm me their site. You can talk price if your not a vendor far as I know.

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
LS1 Fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Nice looking catch can. Definitely a track-only setup though..

It is only a matter of time before you will smell the oil vapors and pcv gasses, especially with the windows down since it is located so close to the heat extractor. I have a vented can on my 4th gen(with a sealed hood) and every time I drive it I smell like an old 70's muscle car.
2017 Lexus GS350F
LS1 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Nasdaq

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Looks nice and compliments the reservoir well. If it gets positive feedback I'm in. Group buy?
Nasdaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
okay, I'm gonna ask a dumb question. what's the difference between that fancy looking device vs just using a valvecover breather since there's no vacuum being pulled from the intake side?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
Very nice indeed. I bought an RX one I have yet to install but I'm going to install it with an atm. vent instead of the recirc. I would rather have those gasses entirely gone instead of back into the engine.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Evan@D3PE

Drives: ISF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
We placed the can there in line with the scoop intentionally. It would be next to impossible for water to enter. A small amount of water, even under hard rain, may come into contact with the filter but just raining on the filter, which doesn't have suction like an intake, would not be enough for it to get water in the can. Worst case if it did get water in the can there is no way for that to get back into the engine and would not cause any harm. Also there is a drain on the can which we recommend draining every oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 Fun View Post
Nice looking catch can. Definitely a track-only setup though..

It is only a matter of time before you will smell the oil vapors and pcv gasses, especially with the windows down since it is located so close to the heat extractor. I have a vented can on my 4th gen(with a sealed hood) and every time I drive it I smell like an old 70's muscle car.
As far as any smell that will have to be determined by Drew since he is the one testing for us but we did strategically locate the vent at the scoop to prevent it from being injested by the air conditioner vent. This isn't necessarily a final product if for some reason the testing leads to any negative feedback but we are pretty confident it is the best case scenario for a true atmospheric crank case vent system

As far as "Definitely track only", I wouldn't want this in my street car or track car

Here is the inside of the supercharger lid under a factory system

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
okay, I'm gonna ask a dumb question. what's the difference between that fancy looking device vs just using a valvecover breather since there's no vacuum being pulled from the intake side?
Just putting filters on the valve cover fittings will prevent the oil from your intake but with setups producing more power the openings are pretty minimal for adequate ventilation. Also the breathers would get dirty and likely allow oil/residue to leak out still. Our catch can is fully baffled and filtered to catch anything that does come out of the valve cover without let it escape, other than vapor.
Evan@D3PE is offline   Reply With Quote