Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
So, you are saying you can't recommend the Pedders drop coils?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
So, you are saying you can't recommend the Pedders drop coils?
Our Pedders drop coils meet our criteria for a SS and have no issues.

mike
dms
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I have no experience w/coilovers but my 2SS is lowered 1" w/Eibach springs.Front tires are 40 series/rear are 35 series w/12" tread width.Unfortunately, i live on a dirt road and due to trucks flying down the roads it creates a washboard effect and ruts.Driving on this type of surface is rough due to the combination of the stiffer springs,low pro tires and tire width.I have to take it pretty slow....it doesnt bottom out but it is bumpy.Once i hit the paved road it rides GREAT. I have no complaints when driving on any paved roads.Ride quality is good as is handling.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
I have the Pedders drop coils. The performance and handling is outstanding. They look great. That said, I wish I had gone for coil overs. The bridge abutments on the interstates around Atlanta cause me to bottom out. There are 3 dips in my neighborhood that I bottom at only 25-30 miles an hour. I really didn't expect the ride to change that much. If the roads didn't suck around here they would be fine. I am taking them off next week.
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Pfadt has some neat coilovers coming soon. BC racing in Florida has the best priced coilovers in the market if pricing is a issue. they have a very great history in the import market
Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #20
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-HD View Post
I have the Pedders drop coils. The performance and handling is outstanding. They look great. That said, I wish I had gone for coil overs. The bridge abutments on the interstates around Atlanta cause me to bottom out. There are 3 dips in my neighborhood that I bottom at only 25-30 miles an hour. I really didn't expect the ride to change that much. If the roads didn't suck around here they would be fine. I am taking them off next week.
What drop are your coils? They have a few different ones.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Okay. I'm going to ignore your sarcasm and try to help you answer your question. When you're refering to the 30 and 25 series of tires, are we to assume that your are staying with the 245 adn 275 tread widths for the front and rears, or are your new 22's a different width from the stockers? A sidewall series means nothing if the tread width isn't included. If they are the same, your front wheel/tire combo radius will remain the same, and your rear will only shrink .6 inches. So your front fender gap will be the same as it is now, and your rear will increase by .6 inches.

If you're still looking at drop springs, just measure the gap, and get a spring with a drop rating that removes that gap to an inch. But you should get the coilovers. That way you can fine tune your fender gap, and adjust your dampening for your desired ride quality. You won't have that flexability with just drop springs.

The Pedders guys are very helpful and I'm sure their xA's are a great match for what you need.

About the alignment, everytime you make an adjustment to your suspension geometry, your alignment changes. If it's a temporary, minor ride height adjustment, I wouldn't worry, but if you're gonna keep your changes, get it aligned or you'll ruin tires and mess with your cars handling.

When you go to all those rodeos, do you ride your 'slammed' Harley?

Hope your build goes well!

Last edited by Stitch; 12-29-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Hey OP, You dont even know what you're asking...If you know so much about lowering cars and have been to alot of gay rodeos then you would know aftermarket coil overs would give you a more "Comfortable" ride, You should have used that word from the begining btw. You aslo should know since your SO exp in lowering of vehicles that you have no ability to adjust compression or rebound with just springs, so basically; are you answering your own question?!?

Try to have a little more class and humble your self when people are just trying to help you.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
I agree with some of the other comments that the "ride quality" is subject to interpretation, so I think an important question to ask is: What are you intending to use the vehicle for?

The drop springs will give you a great aesthetic look and a slightly firmer feel to your suspension. There are differences between the manufacturers of drop springs, so investigate exactly which set of springs will get you the right drop, durability and ride quality. A good set of springs will improve the ride by adding a firm but not harsh feel. You'll probably need to get opinions from end users on the relative ride quality of springs. This is a good solution that requires minimal cost for parts and installation, and will provide a similar ride quality to what the Camaro already has.

If you are interested in gaining more performance also, you could achieve the same drop with a coil-over solution and gain a lot of other things in the process. The benefits of coilovers in general and Pfadt units in particular are tunable damping and adjustable ride height. The adjustable damping fits well with your ride quality concern, because the damping plays a large role in ride quality. With the Pfadt coilovers there are 20 damping positions that will allow you to tailor the ride to suit your taste. Think of this as custom valving that you can change with a few twists of a knob. The softer damping settings provide better ride quality. If you have further questions, please feel free to post up and I’ll be happy to answer them. There is obviously a substantial increase in cost when making the move to coilovers. But the added performance, tuning aspects, and adjustability make them well worth a consideration.

And as a final note, if you are interested in taking a performance based approach I suggest that sway bar upgrades are a great tuning option. They have the ability to affect car balance without ride quality compromise. These, matched with a coil spring package can offer a tremendous amount in terms of performance increase, and maintain great "ride" quality, relative to OEM. Our Pfadt Sport Package (Pfadt drop springs and Sport swaybars) is a great package for cleaning up the ride height and getting the handling to a point where GM should have put it. It is a great all around package for a driving enthusiast.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding suspension upgrades for your vehicle.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Okay. I'm going to ignore your sarcasm and try to help you answer your question. When you're refering to the 30 and 25 series of tires, are we to assume that your are staying with the 245 adn 275 tread widths for the front and rears, or are your new 22's a different width from the stockers? A sidewall series means nothing if the tread width isn't included. If they are the same, you're front wheel/tire combo radius will remain the same, and your rear will only shrink .6 inches. So your front fender gap will be the same as it is now, and your rear will increase by .6 inches.

If you're still looking at drop springs, just measure the gap, and get a spring with a drop rating that removes that gap to an inch. But you should get the coilovers. That way you can fine tune your fender gap, and adjust your dampening for your desired ride quality. You won't have that flexability with just drop springs.

The Pedders guys are very helpful and I'm sure their xA's are a great match for what you need.

About the alignment, everytime you make an adjustment to your suspension geometry, your alignment changes. If it's a temporary, minor ride height adjustment, I wouldn't worry, but if you're gonna keep your changes, get it aligned or you'll ruin tires and mess with your cars handling.

Hope your build goes well!
Thanx for the answers to my questions.

As for the sarcasm you gave the same on your first post to me. Im heavy skinned as i see you are too....

The wheel size will be 10.5" rears with 9" fronts.
I noticed that the PFADT set-up only drops about 1.5" max which i don't think this may be enough. And if i wanted to go lower im sure the ride would suffer tremendously with springs.
As i stated above i know nothing about coilovers in a Camaro, thats why i ask about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley78 View Post
Hey OP, You dont even know what you're asking...If you know so much about lowering cars and have been to alot of gay rodeos then you would know aftermarket coil overs would give you a more "Comfortable" ride, You should have used that word from the begining btw. You aslo should know since your SO exp in lowering of vehicles that you have no ability to adjust compression or rebound with just springs, so basically; are you answering your own question?!?

Try to have a little more class and humble your self when people are just trying to help you.
As for you.....LMAO!!! Theres always a tuff guy behind a keyboard...and your it aren't you. Well if your ever in KC, MO look me up..PLZ!!!! I do visit OHAHU as i have some extended family there. We should hang PLZZZZ!!!!!! "keyboard toughguy" You have nothing to offer to this thread so stay out..THANX "keyboard toughguy".

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-29-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
I agree with some of the other comments that the "ride quality" is subject to interpretation, so I think an important question to ask is: What are you intending to use the vehicle for?

The drop springs will give you a great aesthetic look and a slightly firmer feel to your suspension. There are differences between the manufacturers of drop springs, so investigate exactly which set of springs will get you the right drop, durability and ride quality. A good set of springs will improve the ride by adding a firm but not harsh feel. You'll probably need to get opinions from end users on the relative ride quality of springs. This is a good solution that requires minimal cost for parts and installation, and will provide a similar ride quality to what the Camaro already has.

If you are interested in gaining more performance also, you could achieve the same drop with a coil-over solution and gain a lot of other things in the process. The benefits of coilovers in general and Pfadt units in particular are tunable damping and adjustable ride height. The adjustable damping fits well with your ride quality concern, because the damping plays a large role in ride quality. With the Pfadt coilovers there are 20 damping positions that will allow you to tailor the ride to suit your taste. Think of this as custom valving that you can change with a few twists of a knob. The softer damping settings provide better ride quality. If you have further questions, please feel free to post up and I’ll be happy to answer them. There is obviously a substantial increase in cost when making the move to coilovers. But the added performance, tuning aspects, and adjustability make them well worth a consideration.

And as a final note, if you are interested in taking a performance based approach I suggest that sway bar upgrades are a great tuning option. They have the ability to affect car balance without ride quality compromise. These, matched with a coil spring package can offer a tremendous amount in terms of performance increase, and maintain great "ride" quality, relative to OEM. Our Pfadt Sport Package (Pfadt drop springs and Sport swaybars) is a great package for cleaning up the ride height and getting the handling to a point where GM should have put it. It is a great all around package for a driving enthusiast.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding suspension upgrades for your vehicle.
This is just the info i needed ...THANK YOU.....it looks to me that coilovers may be my best bet.

Looks like you have a great product....Not trying to be a smarta$$ but is there a reason that you guys are charging about $800.00 more than Pedders set-up. coil-overs...Will you guys price match Pedders.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe View Post
Thanx for the answers to my questions.

As for the sarcasm you gave the same on your first post to me. Im heavy skinned as i see you are too....

The wheel size will be 10.5" rears with 9" fronts.
I noticed that the PFADT set-up only drops about 1.5" max which i don't think this may be enough. And if i wanted to go lower im sure the ride would suffer tremendously with springs.
As i stated above i know nothing about coilovers in a Camaro, thats why i ask about them.

As for you.....LMAO!!! Theres always a tuff guy behind a keyboard...and your it aren't you. Well if your ever in KC, MO look me up..PLZ!!!! I do visit OHAHU as i have some extended family there. We should hang PLZZZZ!!!!!! "keyboard toughguy" You have nothing to offer to this thread so stay out..THANX "keyboard toughguy".
Man i tried to be nice help you and make conversation with someone that has same interest as me. All you did was stick your nose in the air and act like a jerk till you got what you wanted. This is a very welcoming site and most people in here are friends, if you're looking for a fight go somewhere else. Dissmissnig everyones comments and help is just childish.

Im not a tough guy behind a keyboard, just calling out a jerk when i see one.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley78 View Post

C'mon man your "gay" comments don't sound nice too me. So PLEASE don't act like a kiss a$$ now. I never said i knew about Camaro coilovers as i posted previously. But i have had several lowered and raised vehicles. You may try and read post before you insult others "keyboard toughguy". Like i said before "PLEASE LEAVE THIS THREAD". THANX!

"Try to have a little more class and humble your self" This is something you may try...
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #28
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe View Post
This is just the info i needed ...THANK YOU.....it looks to me that coilovers may be my best bet.

Looks like you have a great product....Not trying to be a smarta$$ but is there a reason that you guys are charging about $800.00 more than Pedders set-up. coil-overs...Will you guys price match Pedders.

Because we have not officially launched our coilovers yet, there is not a tremendous amout of details out there on them. I'll try to fill in a few of the high points of what is coming. Those of you who made it to SEMA could see the package, but that has been the only real public showing. I've added some info below in regards to the features of the Pfadt coilovers and why they are a bit more expensive as a result.

The main features of our Pfadt Coilovers:

Inverted monotube design in on the front strut. This provides that really large shaft section that you see with our front coilover. That is important because the front strut takes cornering loads in these cars and the stiffer the tube, the better. This has the effect of placing the adjuster knob on the bottom of the strut for easy access. It is a click style adjuster with 20 clicks that are very positive and easy to feel. It is a simple matter of reaching around the front tire and making a couple of twists to change your damping.*

Inverted body design on the rear damper. This reduces unsprung mass (a good thing) and also places the adjuster at the bottom of the damper where you can reach it. It is also a click style adjuster wrapped around the shaft section just below the spring perch.*

Our dampers in both the front and rear feature single point adjust-ability which controls both compression and rebound damping together. This is a design that we have found to be very flexible and user friendly in our Corvette offerings. Basically, you do not need to be a damper engineer to be comfortable making adjustments and it is easy to switch from a 'street' setup to a 'track' setup with just a few clicks.*

Our damper are mono-tube design and feature a separate internal gas chamber, which in the industry is referred to as 'non-emulsion' design. Mono-tube non-emulsion shocks are what you find on most every production based race car everywhere. It is the best design and provides the most consistent and reliable operation. Many of the other offerings for the Camaro are not, ask the manufacturer if you are curious.*

The final feature about our coilovers that I will share today is that our coilovers take a 'standard' flat ground race spring. Many other use a custom spring to fit the Camaro specifically. Using a standard spring size allows extreme flexibility in spring rate choice. You can call up any race supplier and order springs in 25 lb/in increments that will work on our coilovers. We provide a set with our coilovers that will work well for most people, but the flexibility is there for those who want it.

Closed Thread