Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Conservative Exhaust Mod

I consider my new Stock Camaro, a fast and powerful car. (Fast enough for me, on the street). I do not plan on changing much. I like buying cars loaded, so they need, not much. I have become addicted to reading this forum,(I think I am changing). I do think I would like to get rid of the stock exhaust from the cats, back. When I look under the car and see those giant resonators, and the giant mufflers, It just doesn't look right. After reading, listening, and researching, I believe I would like to get the Corsa 14952 system. (made for the L99) I am under the impression that the drone and the AFM noises, with this system, are no worse than stock? Is this true? Also, I know that this exhaust system is designed so that people can install it themselves, using clamps. If I were to have a quality reputable shop install it, should I request that they weld all the mating parts? I guess if you use the clamps, then it can always be removed easily. Welding is permanent. Do they weld stainless with stainless rod, so no rust will develop? Maybe just tack weld plus use clamps? Are the clamps good enough? Please give me your opinions. Thanks
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
streetbeast

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3
Have you considered or checked out the Stainless Works Retro catback. I just installed this on my Camaro. Its sounds so good, has nice deep "musclecar" sound. No drone at all. Real quality and Cheaper than corsa, plus its all 304 stainless. Corsa sounds almost like a tractor or captain's call exhaust on a boat to me with just stock manifolds. Add headers and a cam to Corsa, now thats a different story.

Here is a youtube link, which is pretty accurate to the sound.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

[QUOTE=streetbeast;4768467]Have you considered or checked out the Stainless Works Retro catback. I just installed this on my Camaro. Its sounds so good, has nice deep "musclecar" sound. No drone at all. Real quality and Cheaper than corsa, plus its all 304 stainless. Corsa sounds almost like a tractor or captain's call exhaust on a boat to me with just stock manifolds. Add headers and a cam to Corsa, now thats a different story.

That sounds real good. I know there are alot of people who like the Corsa sound. And those that dont. From what I have heard, I kind of like it. Sounds clean and efficient, (if that makes any sense). I do not plan on tuning out the AFM, or adding headers. So I need to be concerned about the AFM issue. And from what I know so far, the Corsa has that issue under control. I am looking for a little improvement of sound and performance over stock without getting too involved. Is your exhaust welded?

Last edited by GMTool; 04-06-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added a Question
Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
streetbeast

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3
Not welded, there is about 200 mi on the exhaust and it hasn't moved at all. The factory mounts are pretty solid, plus I'm sure Corsa supplies good clamps so you should be fine. You could always install it, see if it is fine, if starts to move, weld it.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Well I was just on Corsa's Web site. It clearly states that the 14952 exhaust system is designed to be clamped, there is no welding required. Also if you do weld their system, it will Void the Limited Lifetime Warrenty. So I guess that answers that question. I will NOT be welding.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Look at the Dynomax VT axleback. Not sure how it is with AFM drone since I tuned mine out long ago. I would imagine that it deals with it pretty well with the valve in the muffler. It sounds a little deeper at idle and is quiet at cruise. Once you get above 3.5ish rpm, the valve is fully open and it's a straight thru muffler. That translates into a very mean sound when you want it to be mean.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Solo is also drone-free on the L99, and the price is much better than Corsa. Top-notch company, IMO. I'm very happy with mine.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Solo is also drone-free on the L99, and the price is much better than Corsa. Top-notch company, IMO. I'm very happy with mine.
I have seen your video with your Solo system. Sounds good. I wish I could find a video of an SS L99 with Corsa system part# 14952. With stock manfolds, no CAI, and no tune. I can find video's, but they dont always say exactly what else they have or dont have on the car. Most of them are the LS3 system. Anyways after reading and reading on this subject, I am thinking either the Corsa or Solo cat back. The Corsa is around 250 dollars more. I am leaning towards Corsa. I like to see mufflers under the rear. But either one of these systems seems to be the way to go for what I am looking for. Thanks for your replies everyone.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Just ordered the Corsa 14952 system. I am going to put on a new exhaust before the first oil change. I tell you what, if it wasnt for those big stock garbage can mufflers, and those HUGE resonators.(And I need a little more sound). I might not be doing this. I was just on the phone with a good muffler shop in the area. They are known for good quality custom exhaust. He said that he wants to weld the system instead of the clamps. He welds stainless, said the welds would not rust. Corsa says on their web site that welding would void the warrenty. Heck its stainless. Should last for many years anyway. My 13 year old Z-71 Silverado with 195,000 miles has the same stainless exhaust system that came with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Just ordered the Corsa 14952 system. I am going to put on a new exhaust before the first oil change. I tell you what, if it wasnt for those big stock garbage can mufflers, and those HUGE resonators.(And I need a little more sound). I might not be doing this. I was just on the phone with a good muffler shop in the area. They are known for good quality custom exhaust. He said that he wants to weld the system instead of the clamps. He welds stainless, said the welds would not rust. Corsa says on their web site that welding would void the warrenty. Heck its stainless. Should last for many years anyway. My 13 year old Z-71 Silverado with 195,000 miles has the same stainless exhaust system that came with it.
Yeah, it seems a lot of the exhaust clips also have other mods, so it's hard to tell what it'll sound like stock. Anyway, good luck. I had the Corsa on my V6 and it was a nice system. It was quiet when u wanted it to be, and loud when u got on it, so you don't have to draw attention to yourself if you don't want to. Anything is an improvement over stock

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
He wants to weld it so he can charge you more for installing it. There is no need to weld these systems. The clamps are sufficient. If the guy insists on welding it, tell him about the warranty and then tell him that if you find out he welded the system in that he's gonna have to pay extra for surgery to have your foot removed from his backside. Again, the clamps are plenty to hold the exhaust system in place. Welding may also cause the system to rust at the welds. And yes, that's possible.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
He wants to weld it so he can charge you more for installing it. There is no need to weld these systems. The clamps are sufficient. If the guy insists on welding it, tell him about the warranty and then tell him that if you find out he welded the system in that he's gonna have to pay extra for surgery to have your foot removed from his backside. Again, the clamps are plenty to hold the exhaust system in place. Welding may also cause the system to rust at the welds. And yes, that's possible.
I agree with you. I did some thinking and calling people. I found a better place to have my exhaust put on. NO WELD. I cant wait. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Got my new system on today. I am very happy with it. Glad I did it. The AFM noise is a little more noticeable. But not that bad. The new looks and sound make up for it. Before and after pics. I adjusted the mufflers a little to make them more centered inside the outlet hole after this picture.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Much cleaner look at her rear end isn't it? And bye bye trash cans and tank of a resonator! Now just get headers and tune off AFM and you will have a true Camaro....
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote