Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Halltech intake disappointment

Alright so let me clear up that title. I love the intake as far as performance and sound goes. That's not the issue. The issue I have is the fitment and build quality.

Let's start with the fact that only one of the bolts for my MAF fits. The other hole doesn't line up at all. Not a huge deal but for the price I only assume the bolt holes would match up. I don't think it's a hollow opening so I don't think there is any air leeks due to that bolt not being installed.

Second would be how the thing mounts to the car. The filter rubs the hood insulation and the heat shield seems pretty flimsy. I'm sure it doesn't help that it only has one mounting point.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one with these issues or not but I'm definetly not very satisfied with my purchase...
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Alright so let me clear up that title. I love the intake as far as performance and sound goes. That's not the issue. The issue I have is the fitment and build quality.

Let's start with the fact that only one of the bolts for my MAF fits. The other hole doesn't line up at all. Not a huge deal but for the price I only assume the bolt holes would match up. I don't think it's a hollow opening so I don't think there is any air leeks due to that bolt not being installed.

Second would be how the thing mounts to the car. The filter rubs the hood insulation and the heat shield seems pretty flimsy. I'm sure it doesn't help that it only has one mounting point.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one with these issues or not but I'm definetly not very satisfied with my purchase...
I believe their website tells what type of self tapping screw you can use in the event they don't fit right. You should take pictures and call Jim Hall and let him know.

If the filter rubs the hood insulation you've not installed it correctly. The bottom edge of the heatshield must be sitting on the AC line, which it should not be. The rubber weatherstripping should be against the hood insultaion though.

The heatshield seems flimsy but it's not, it's flexible but you aren't going to damage it.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Denis

I'll check on the ac line but I think I remember checking that very thing.

Yep. Just went an verified it. It is not resting on he a/c line
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
IndeedSS1

Quote:
I'll check on the ac line but I think I remember checking that very thing.
When the heatshield is installed correctly the filter, if anything may want to tougch the water bottle or fenderwell liner. If this is the case just loosen the hose clamp on the duct at throttle body end and move the filter into an optimal spot and tighten the clamp back down.

Just a tip. Never tighten that hose clamp I'm talking about while the tube is hot. Too much tightening and you could crush the tube.

She is only memory now.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Denis

Here's some pics....you can see where it rubs...

I also hate how it doesn't sit flush against the velocity stack...

And the heat sheild wobbles. I can move it and watch the mout stay put but it seems like the rivets used are to small for the holes they put in it for the mount. Like the sheild will move but the mount stays put. If that makes sense.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
IndeedSS1

It looks like if you loosen the first MAF screw you can likely get the second started, but that may be the picture. The velocity stack won't sit flush with the box.

Have you tried to rotate the filter and tube to get a lower angle of approach? Other than that, based on the weatherstrip impression, it looks like you have the heatshield down and into place correctly. I know what you mean about the rivets. The older versions of the YJ had the bracket tight to the heatshield. I'm assuming they change to allow for movement and put less stress on the stud and sheet metal...but that is a guess. Heck call the vendor and ask to swap for a CAI.

She is only memory now.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Denis

Hmmm I'll see if I can adjust the filter and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Hmmm I'll see if I can adjust the filter and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.
Good luck, I hope it's all easy to remedy.

She is only memory now.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
On my 2012 the bracket is slotted now so you can adjust it.
The big end of the filter is close to the hood but not touching, does touch the fender so I put some double sided tape under it to cushin it.
Yes dont tighten the tube when hot. I had the clamp reversed at first and the torque dimpled in the tube on the drivers side. I reversed it and all o.k.. Never had that before. suspect its not made as well as others.
I just checked that lower maf screw and the hole was stripped and I hadnt even touched it! I loosened the top screw, found one that is slightlty larger and used it for the bottom and all is tight.
The shield is perfectly set so no problems but is flimsey as it is not secured to the car in as many places as it should be I guess.

I agree shouldnt have this happening, but the performace is as good as the CAI, IAT's supposed to be the same and so is hp per the tests done. Sure not going to now spend $400 more for a CAI or another less performing unit though.I'll paint the tube gloss black and the box red to dress it up and call it a day!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
asrautox

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I have to admit that I was also disappointed in the quality and fit of the Halltech unit. In fact the $150 spectre unit that it replaced had much higher quality, fit and finish.. If the gains weren't so good, I would never have made the change.
asrautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
If the filter rubs the hood insulation you've not installed it correctly. The bottom edge of the heatshield must be sitting on the AC line, which it should not be. The rubber weatherstripping should be against the hood insultaion though.

Mine has rubbed since day one. I tried to move the angle from both ends (throttle body and filter), etc etc. Still rubs.

I love the intake, but it rubs and ITS NOT ON THE AC LINE.
Weird I've had three and none of the filters rubbed the hood linsulation. Must the differences in tolerances.

She is only memory now.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Call Jim, he WILL take care of you.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I've had a Halltech on my car for over 2 years now and my filter does not touch the hood insulation.

I would look at re-adjusting the tube as others have suggested.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Mine fit flawlessly as well. Doesn't hit the hood, fender well, or the waterbottle. I will agree that the shield can be a bit tricky to fit right but it wasn't that hard. The lower edge of the shield should be on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail and the AC lines should be going through the slots in the shield.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote