Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Stock Thermostat

I'm thinking about throwing a lower temp thermostat in my SS. Does anyone know what the stock one is rated at? I've been watching my coolant temp on the DIC lately and it seems to stay steady a few degrees over 200 so I'm assuming its rated at 200 degF?

If running a slightly colder (160-180?) themostat is better for the engine then why doesn't GM put these in stock? I'm concerned that there is a reason they want it to heat up to 200 degF or so?
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
I'm thinking about throwing a lower temp thermostat in my SS. Does anyone know what the stock one is rated at? I've been watching my coolant temp on the DIC lately and it seems to stay steady a few degrees over 200 so I'm assuming its rated at 200 degF?

If running a slightly colder (160-180?) themostat is better for the engine then why doesn't GM put these in stock? I'm concerned that there is a reason they want it to heat up to 200 degF or so?
I just had some work done on my car (header,cats,tune,etc..). They did change the thermostat. I believe there is some tune work that needs to be done so the fans come on @ the correct temp w/ new thermo. I may be wrong though...
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:

That's not the way thermostats work. The degree rating on a thermostat is when it begins to open, NOT at what temperature the car will run at. Many, many people make this mistake and that is why they don't like 160* thermostats. They say 160* is too low of an operating temp (I agree) but that DOES noyt mean the car will run at 160*.

The stock thermostat is 186.8*. GM puts hotter thermostats in the car for better fuel emissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
I just had some work done on my car (header,cats,tune,etc..). They did change the thermostat. I believe there is some tune work that needs to be done so the fans come on @ the correct temp w/ new thermo. I may be wrong though...
You don't have to tune with a thermostat, but you won't get the full benefits. I would still rather run a 160* thermostat with no tuning than a stock one.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You won't like the 160 on cool mornings, increases the heater warm up time.

If your running 200ish on a 186 stat, the car will also run 200 on a 160 stat. They both will be open at those temps.

The performance difference comes in if you alter the fan settings in the calibration to work the fans at higher speeds at lower temps. Maybe then there is a hair of performance to be gained. But on the downside, you just killed your 100K powertrain warranty.

For me, I'll keep the warranty vs messing with something that really isn't a problem and might be some slight performance gain.

Then you also have the risk of an aftermarket stat sticking and stranding you who knows where without a warranty to cover the problems. Food for thought if you travel. The fewer possible problems the better in my opinion. If I have a problem, I just like to take it to any dealer and say fix it, no problems.

They don't do it stock, because they engineer the correct temp stat for a number of criteria - eng longevity, mpgs, emissions, oil change interval, heater performance... 186 is the perfect one for all that criteria.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Just saw he is up north, that isn't a problem down here in Texas. Actually I don't know if my heater even works, I've never tried it. LOL. Down here 160* thermostats are mandatory.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Just saw he is up north, that isn't a problem down here in Texas. Actually I don't know if my heater even works, I've never tried it. LOL. Down here 160* thermostats are mandatory.
160 stat was included with my first few mods. It's a must.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

If your running 200ish on a 186 stat, the car will also run 200 on a 160 stat. They both will be open at those temps.

The performance difference comes in if you alter the fan settings in the calibration to work the fans at higher speeds at lower temps. Maybe then there is a hair of performance to be gained. But on the downside, you just killed your 100K powertrain warranty.

For me, I'll keep the warranty vs messing with something that really isn't a problem and might be some slight performance gain.

Then you also have the risk of an aftermarket stat sticking and stranding you who knows where without a warranty to cover the problems. Food for thought if you travel. The fewer possible problems the better in my opinion. If I have a problem, I just like to take it to any dealer and say fix it, no problems.

They don't do it stock, because they engineer the correct temp stat for a number of criteria - eng longevity, mpgs, emissions, oil change interval, heater performance... 186 is the perfect one for all that criteria.
Not necessarily true!

I typically notice this from a SBC.. a 180 thermo will operate at 195 and a 160 thermo will operate at 175. these are my round-a-bout numbers

While driving this will be the case.. However to fully benefit you will need the fan turn on temps changed with a tune for when you are sitting still. when you are driving.. the thermo will stay lower just because air is moving.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Really good points here guys, thanks. I think the takeaway is that to get the full effect of a lower temp t-stat, you should tune the cooling fans.

That said, it is really interesting to think about what's really going on here, I hear two trains of thoughts:

1. Thermostat will open at a lower temp and therefore will keep the mean temp of the engine cooler...otherwise, what would be the point?

2. Thermostat will open at a lower temp, however, your engine will still run up to 200 degF or so cause that is just the temp it gets to when it's fully warmed up? Even if you're stat opens at a lower temp, that won't stop the engine from heating to its operating temp.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Really good points here guys, thanks. I think the takeaway is that to get the full effect of a lower temp t-stat, you should tune the cooling fans.

That said, it is really interesting to think about what's really going on here, I hear two trains of thoughts:

1. Thermostat will open at a lower temp and therefore will keep the mean temp of the engine cooler...otherwise, what would be the point?

2. Thermostat will open at a lower temp, however, your engine will still run up to 200 degF or so cause that is just the temp it gets to when it's fully warmed up? Even if you're stat opens at a lower temp, that won't stop the engine from heating to its operating temp.
# 1 is true, # 2 is half true. The engine doesn't have a set temp it gets to when it is fully warmed up. The temp goes up and down depending on what thermostat is in it and when the cooling fans come on.

If you have a 160* thermostat and don't change the fan setting the fans will still come on at the designated temperature, BUT when the fans do come on there will be MORE coolant circulating through the system because the lower thermostat will be open bigger. So, the car will cool down faster.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
BluegraSS

Drives: 2012 Victory Red SS/RS
I have a 160 degree thermostat in my 2012 L99 SS. With the stock thermostat my car's normal operating temp. was around 193-194. Now it's 182 or so.
BluegraSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
I've heard a lot of arguments for both sides. They both seem like they have valid points. One of the points I heard from a very reputable builder was that GM built the tollerances/peak power for around 195 degrees. That's where you want to run the car at. I know 10 degrees cooler may not make a difference, but I'm deciding on sticking with the stocker.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
tuning the fans won't do anything with an aftermarket stat. why? because the lowest you can program them to come on is 192. the 160 stat runs in the 180s. the fans never come on unless you are sitting around not moving.

the fans are programmed to come on much hotter, like 210 in the stock program, so you can program them to come on earlier, but it is moot.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Another big reason GM has higher stat temps is for engine wear. A colder engine wears at a higher rate than a warmer one.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
I wonder what the engine wear differences are between 180 and 210. I also wonder what the power differences are. Any studies completed on this?
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote