Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Former WWE star Dave Bautista's MMA debut

A bit sloppy in his striking, and his ground game looks like it still needs a bit of improvement.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
pump905

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black with white rally
looks like they feed him a chump for a easy win. jmo
pump905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
That fight was terrible, the guy was barely hitting him with any force whatsoever, and Bautista looks like he is going to get eaten alive in the world of MMA.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Don't dub fighters man, unless you have stepped into the ring, you don't know what it's like and have no reason to insult someone. I hate fighter-bashing. The guy may not have been in the best shape, however he has a legitimate career and a lot of fights under his belt.

I agree Bautista's performance was less than stellar. His striking defense fell apart, and he lacks the basics of the ground game.

That said, I respect the man for a lot of reasons.

1. He is in his 40's and stepping into an MMA bout. That is no easy task. Not everyone is Randy Couture.

2. He admitted he was very nervous and wasn't sure how he would react to being hit. It clearly threw him off a bit, but he weathered the storm and got the W via finish over an experienced opponent. Can't ask for more than that.

3. Going back to points 1 and 2 a bit - He fully admits he will never be a world champion. He respects the sport and wanted to try it out. He went through an 8 week camp with some legitimate MMA contenders, and competed.
Well said.. He looks uncomfortable but with time he has the potential be good at this sport. But he does need all around work
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Don't dub fighters man, unless you have stepped into the ring, you don't know what it's like and have no reason to insult someone. I hate fighter-bashing. The guy may not have been in the best shape, however he has a legitimate career and a lot of fights under his belt.

I agree Bautista's performance was less than stellar. His striking defense fell apart, and he lacks the basics of the ground game.

That said, I respect the man for a lot of reasons.

1. He is in his 40's and stepping into an MMA bout. That is no easy task. Not everyone is Randy Couture.

2. He admitted he was very nervous and wasn't sure how he would react to being hit. It clearly threw him off a bit, but he weathered the storm and got the W via finish over an experienced opponent. Can't ask for more than that.

3. Going back to points 1 and 2 a bit - He fully admits he will never be a world champion. He respects the sport and wanted to try it out. He went through an 8 week camp with some legitimate MMA contenders, and competed.
I'm not sure who you're defending here

There's a reason I don't get in the ring. It's because I think it's a pointless endeavor. Yay, they can beat an average person to death with their fists. Congratulations! Explain how that's a useful skill for society?

But regardless of that...

At no point did I insult anyone (I don't think) or do any bashing.

To me, the fight in the video was roughly the equivalent of watching Tony Saragusa suit up for a high school football game, today.

Just from appearances, I can't imagine the "experienced" fighter is even remotely close to the same physical shape that he was in for the majority of his career.

And Bautista may be in better physical shape than most rookie MMA fighters, but he should be fighting against equally "experienced" fighters and not some random guy who's probably way past the prime of his career.

The whole fight just didn't make any sense to me. Please see the ridiculousness as it is.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I'm not sure who you're defending here

There's a reason I don't get in the ring. It's because I think it's a pointless endeavor. Yay, they can beat an average person to death with their fists. Congratulations! Explain how that's a useful skill for society?

But regardless of that...

At no point did I insult anyone (I don't think) or do any bashing.

To me, the fight in the video was roughly the equivalent of watching Tony Saragusa suit up for a high school football game, today.

Just from appearances, I can't imagine the "experienced" fighter is even remotely close to the same physical shape that he was in for the majority of his career.

And Bautista may be in better physical shape than most rookie MMA fighters, but he should be fighting against equally "experienced" fighters and not some random guy who's probably way past the prime of his career.

The whole fight just didn't make any sense to me. Please see the ridiculousness as it is.
I clearly highlighted what the insult was. "some chub from the crowd"? He has a pretty long MMA career if you had bothered to look it up.

I get it, you think MMA is a neanderthal sport and added a bunch of smileys.

How is it a useful skill? It doesn't make sense to you? Ok, well, that's your opinion.

You have a gun in your sig. You can point an object at something and have a piece of metal come out of it. Congratulations! How does that a useful skill in society?

See? I can take the same route. Don't bash someone or something just cuz you have no interest in it or know nothing about it.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Batista is lazy he would've got knocked out by Ken Shamrock or any guy from UFC in the first 30 seconds.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
I clearly highlighted what the insult was.
Actually, no you didn't. You quoted my entire post. So, I wasn't sure what you were specifically responding to.

Quote:
"some chub from the crowd"? He has a pretty long MMA career if you had bothered to look it up.

I get it, you think MMA is a neanderthal sport and added a bunch of smileys.
And now that I know what you're referring to.

Like I pointed out, MMA's just not what I'm interested in. I don't understand why two human beings would want to get into a ring and bash each other's faces in. I don't get how someone could wake up and say to themselves, "Yeah, today feels like a great day to get punched/kicked in the head repeatedly!"

That's all. That doesn't mean I think MMA fighters are stupid or neanderthals. That being said, why would I do any kind of research into some MMA fighters career if he's obviously at the end of his career? I'm sure he did have a great career, but by the looks of it, he needs to hang up the gloves if he can't remain in the kind of physical shape that being an MMA fighter requires.

We can both agree, at least, that to be an MMA fighter you've got to be in bad ass shape. And this guy is obviously not. That's all I meant by it.

Quote:
How is it a useful skill? It doesn't make sense to you? Ok, well, that's your opinion.
You're right, it is my opinion. And I have yet to see anything that shows that it is a useful skill. MMA is two guys beating the crap out of each other. Plain and simple.

If it wasn't for the octagon fence around them and all the sponsors, they would both be arrested for assault. Trained or not, two people trying to draw blood from the other has no legitimate purpose in society other than some sadistic form of entertainment. I mean, why not give each fighter a weapon and fight to the death like in Roman times? We're only about 2 steps short of it at this point...

Quote:
You have a gun in your sig. You can point an object at something and have a piece of metal come out of it. Congratulations! How does that a useful skill in society?

See? I can take the same route. Don't bash someone or something just cuz you have no interest in it or know nothing about it.
Really?

There are LOTS of hunters in this country- probably quite a few on this forum. The deer or other wild game a hunter shoots can provide weeks of food for a family of four. That seems like a pretty useful skill to have.

Maybe an MMA fighter could bash a deer's head in with his bare hands.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
allright, well, you have your (uneducated) opinion about the sport. I'm not going to create walls of texts on every point you made to try and change your opinion. I appreciate the physical and mental challenge, the discipline, and many other aspects of the sport.

I'll just say, it's pretty short-sighted to say, "my hobby is cool and useful but yours is pointless and stupid."

Thank heaven for internet and all the meaningful opinions on it.

Maybe we should get some Prius-lovers in here to tell us how stupid we are for owning camaros
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Dudes...please don't have me request the mods to lock this thread.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, regardless of the choice of words.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
allright, well, you have your (uneducated) opinion about the sport. I'm not going to create walls of texts on every point you made to try and change your opinion. I appreciate the physical and mental challenge, the discipline, and many other aspects of the sport.

I'll just say, it's pretty short-sighted to say, "my hobby is cool and useful but yours is pointless and stupid."

Thank heaven for internet and all the meaningful opinions on it.

Maybe we should get some Prius-lovers in here to tell us how stupid we are for owning camaros
Dude, I said the skill was pointless, not stupid.

If you'd like to continue putting words in my mouth, here:

I fully understand that there is a massive amount of strategy involved in the sport. And you have to be pretty smart to succeed at it.

And I completely applaud someone for having the determination and will-power to maintain the kind of physical strength and endurance required to be competitive in the sport.

I would just hate to put all that energy into something and then get my brain rattled around in my skull too many times.

That's where I don't understand it. You're risking your entire body, and possibly your brain function, for what?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
you hate the sport yet clicked on a thread dedicated to an MMA fight

There is actually a very good "out of badass fighter shape" in UFC look up cowboy Nelson

I have respect for your opinion but you just don't know much about the sport to comment on it and its fighters
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

That's where I don't understand it. You're risking your entire body, and possibly your brain function, for what?
Why do we take our car down a track as fast as it can go?

Why do people sky dive or bungie jump?

Why do guys try to do triple backflips on a moto cross bike?

It's their form of adrenaline rush, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it not allowed to happen, if you don't like a song on the radio you change the station right? So if its on tv or in the newspaper change the channel or turn the page

Just don't get why you would click on this link to make a comment on something that obviously not in your interests
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
MMA fights are like a human chess match. I definately prefer the submissions. Nothing like getting the other fighter to give up.

And Batista looked horrible. Wonder if the other guy trained at all. I even wonder if the guy was paid to take a dive.