Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
MDV6er

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Need help V6 experts

About a week ago, I drove through a gas station. I did not realize how high one of the gas tank ground covers was and I drove over it and smacked my driver's side header. It's scuffed, maybe moved a little, but not much. Continued driving and received p0056 and p0160. However, car still would run fine. I'd push it with no issues. Only difference was a slight rattle frpm the o2 sensor and the cold start high idle was very choppy.

Now, I'm vacationing in ocean city Maryland. Every time I get into it (NOT RACING, COPS ARE EVERYWHERE), right around 5k rpm's the car shutters and starts sounding like a subaru. I was told this is called limp mode and its only firing on 3 cylinders. Today I just jacked my car up and replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new one. The cold start was smoother like normal, but the same effect of car losing power after 5k... No new codes but a cylinder 5 misfire. Also, if I'm driving and go past 5k and it limps, I can turn the car off while crusing, turn it back on, and continue driving like nothing happened.

Advice, tips, help, please.

Excuse mistakes, I'm on my phone
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDV6er View Post
About a week ago, I drove through a gas station. I did not realize how high one of the gas tank ground covers was and I drove over it and smacked my driver's side header. It's scuffed, maybe moved a little, but not much. Continued driving and received p0056 and p0160. However, car still would run fine. I'd push it with no issues. Only difference was a slight rattle frpm the o2 sensor and the cold start high idle was very choppy.

Now, I'm vacationing in ocean city Maryland. Every time I get into it (NOT RACING, COPS ARE EVERYWHERE), right around 5k rpm's the car shutters and starts sounding like a subaru. I was told this is called limp mode and its only firing on 3 cylinders. Today I just jacked my car up and replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new one. The cold start was smoother like normal, but the same effect of car losing power after 5k... No new codes but a cylinder 5 misfire. Also, if I'm driving and go past 5k and it limps, I can turn the car off while crusing, turn it back on, and continue driving like nothing happened.

Advice, tips, help, please.

Excuse mistakes, I'm on my phone
Lmao uhh check my thread I just posted, you have the exact same symptoms. Take off your intake and check right past the throttle body in the manifold and see if the filling came out. Maybe the impact dislodged the filling.

I swear dude if its the same the odds are ridiculous...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
MDV6er

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I did and it looked normal to me. I'll probably take it all apart in the parking lot in the morning.. I did find gas covered tape right inside the throttle body... No idea how or why. Even after taking it out and resetting battery it still limps.. Oh well
Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDV6er View Post
I did and it looked normal to me. I'll probably take it all apart in the parking lot in the morning.. I did find gas covered tape right inside the throttle body... No idea how or why. Even after taking it out and resetting battery it still limps.. Oh well
Whatttt gas covered tape? Maybe something is stuck in one of the runners like my car had.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote