Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Libertyracer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with Magnusen
Camaro Horn

Sorry if this has already been posted but I can't search all 500 pages to find out if it has, lol.

Every time some idiot would pull in front of me (seems like some did it on purpose = jealous) I'd lay on the horn and I'd hear this little Euro sportscar "toot" that didn't adequately express the rage I was feeling at the time.

I didn't want a "toot toot" horn; I wanted a "WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING!?!?" horn!!!! So I had the shop that put on my GFX kit add a Stebel motorcycle air horn to my car. Here's a Youtube video of a guy with one on his Charger:
Libertyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Sir Nuke has a horn like that too I think, haha
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
Sir Nuke has a horn like that too I think, haha
Go to Sir Nuke's profile and search his threads. Let's just say he has a "startling" horn mod for you.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I want a train horn and ship horn on mine to scare away the deer.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
YES I DO!!

Here the link to the DIY install instructions and the video......the instructions are downloadable and are just below the video in the link.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157184
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Mines not a TRAIN horn......they are actually Tractor Trailer Horns......and put out 140 db......which is only a little louder than the Stebel are typically 134....but I like mine a bit better....as they have a deeper, throatier tone.....
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Oh and Libertyracer, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
oh and it WORKS for that......not long after I did my mod, I was comming over a bridge, so I could see a ways down the road, and I could see some LARGE wildlife in the road.....hit the horn good, and they were LONG GONE way before I got there.....I never even slowed down, as there was no need to. lol
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:

a train horn is pretty big (and by big, I mean it wouldn't fit under your hood if you took your engine out). They are quite fun mounted in the bed of a pickup driving through a mall parking lot though
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
a train horn is pretty big (and by big, I mean it wouldn't fit under your hood if you took your engine out). They are quite fun mounted in the bed of a pickup driving through a mall parking lot though
well actually the ships horn would be that big.....the Train Horn on the other hand could work.....but you would need to take the front facia off to install it behind the grill. There are 3 trumpets.....14 1/4", 16 1/2", and 18 3/4" long the set stands 6 1/2" tall when mounted.

Name:  Train Horns.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  49.1 KB

They are a bit louder than mine. Their Train Horn (the company I got my kit from) is rated at 152 db....... and theirs sound like this:

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 11-01-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well actually the ships shorn would be that big.....the Train Horn on the other hand could work.....but you would need to take the front facia off to install it behind the grill. There are 3 trumpets.....14 1/4", 16 1/2", and 18 3/4" long the set stands 6 1/2" tall when mounted. They are a bit louder than mine. Their Train Horn (the company I got my kit from) is rated at 152 db....... and theirs sound like this:

thats not a real train horn....... a real one needs about 100cfm to blow...... here's a pic of me working on one of the more popular train horns.... not exactly small

helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
thats not a real train horn....... a real one needs about 100cfm to blow...... here's a pic of me working on one of the more popular train horns.... not exactly small

well what you are calling a REAL TRAIN HORN isn't a very practical addition to ANY car/truck, and ture, they are SERIOUSLY loud, louder that is practical to use as a horn on a street driven car/truck without being given a ticket of it.....the one I posted above, is....and has or close to the same tone and effect on people, and certainly gets the point across.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
A friend of mine has an air horn in his pickup truck. We used to take the same route to work and if I wasn't paying attention he would roll up next to me and BLAST me with it. After a few times I barely flinched LOL.

It was also fun to take the truck to Bills games and have fun with people in the parking lot of the Ralph