Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Konr

Drives: 2010 SW LS M6
Carfax

So when I was finishing up purchasing my camaro, I was hit with a $499 "documentation fee" (it was carfax lol, it was mandatory soo), going through it it had been in a few rough patches, but she was fixed up good as new, so I thought. It's been about 8 months since then and I had a friend looking at her. The fascia had been repainted (a horrible job at that). Should this have not been listed on the report for whatever reason?
Konr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
You paid $500 for a carfax report? You can run your own for $40 on their website!

But they can only show what has been reported to them... usually by dealers or insurance companies. Damage or repairs that were done by the owner or without a insurance claim usually won't show up on a history report.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
A CarFax is only as accurate as the information put in by repairers/body shops/etc. Often, non-insurance repairs are not reported.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Konr

Drives: 2010 SW LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
You paid $500 for a carfax report? You can run your own for $40 on their website!

But they can only show what has been reported to them... usually by dealers or insurance companies. Damage or repairs that were done by the owner or without a insurance claim usually won't show up on a history report.
Ah, no I didn't even want it. They called it a mandatory documentation fee and it was necessary before I could leave the lot if I wanted the car. Dealerships right? Lmfao.
Konr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konr View Post
Ah, no I didn't even want it. They called it a mandatory documentation fee and it was necessary before I could leave the lot if I wanted the car. Dealerships right? Lmfao.
I would have told them to eat shit and shopped somewhere else.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
That price does sound really high.

As for the repainting, it could have been replaced, which may not be a big deal if it was upgraded to a different style, or if it was cracked due to minor damage.
Does it run ok? Does it start and stop ok? You have had it for 8 months, so if it was horribly damaged the problem would have probably revealed itself by now.
I wouldnt worry about it, but if it still bugs you, take it to a good mech or body shop and have them inspect it.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
I would have told them to eat shit and shopped somewhere else.

same here, the only legitimate "document fee's" would be title and registration. Some dealers sneak in these last minute made up fee's knowing many customers wouldn't be willing to walk away from the deal. Funny thing is, they suddenly decide they can waive them when you're about 5 feet out the door.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
same here, the only legitimate "document fee's" would be title and registration. Some dealers sneak in these last minute made up fee's knowing many customers wouldn't be willing to walk away from the deal. Funny thing is, they suddenly decide they can waive them when you're about 5 feet out the door.
They have to write the bill of sale anyway,why does it all of a sudden cost 5 Benjamins?

I had them wave destination once to get a sale.

They had to get it shipped to have it on the lot so why charge me?

I said ok then order me a new one exactly the same and I will pay the shipping.

They seen my point and made the deal.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konr View Post
Most dealers have something like that and some states even require it by law. You could've probably negotiated it down. My dealer adds a $50 fee so we always consider that $50 during negotiations.

The fee is to pay for clerical work done by the people behind the scenes you will never see.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
Most dealers have something like that and some states even require it by law. You could've probably negotiated it down. My dealer adds a $50 fee so we always consider that $50 during negotiations.

The fee is to pay for clerical work done by the people behind the scenes you will never see.

If they feel the need to charge BS fee's, it needs to be upfront during negotiation. Slipping it in later during signing when they know most buyers are too committed to walk away is low, even for a car salesman.

IMO once you agree on a OTD price, another penny added that price is reason to walk away or stand in their lobby and call another dealer.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
chris1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
I tell the dealer up front the price we negotiate is OTD (Out the Door) inclusive of whatever costs you may have. The point is if they want to have mandatory fees then lower the sale price by the fee amount and you can have your mandatory fee.

Appearance Mods: Razzi Bodykit with LEDs, 3D Carbon Side Vents, Tint, Painted Rims and Calipers,

See/hear my Camaro at
http://youtu.be/wn0Ck-cw6WQ
chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Carfax is a small racket in itself. It's not manditory for a dealer or insurance compaines to submit any information to it about a vehicle. So a carfax report on a car could come back clean even if major work was completed. It's more of a gentlemen's agreement to do so and we all know dealers are not gentlemen.