Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
New to the forum and new 10 SS/RS LS3

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and to the new body camaro's. My wife has wanted one for a long time and I found a 2010 black 1SS/RS 6 speed LS3. I am not letting her know I bought it until her birthday on the 30th which will give me some time to do a few mods.
I want to start out with a cat back exhaust and a cai and I would like to know what some of y'all would recommend to get the best use for what I am trying to do. My wife does not like super loud exhaust systems that make you go deaf but I can't stand the stock sound. I don't think it is aggressive sounding enough. I have been watching videos and I like the sound of the borla s type cat back but am open for suggestions.
This is going to be a third car so it will not be our daily driver and the college thing is I will get a ton of browny points with her and probably drive it as much as she does.
Sorry to ramble guys but I have been reading the forum for weeks now and there is a ton of knowledge on here so I look forward to learning from y'all.
Thanks
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Welcome
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
There is a thread somewhere that had sound clips of every cat back imaginable. Maybe try that out. As for a cold air kit, just keep in mind that most will require a tune. Visit the Jannetty cold air test for some reference. That should answer most of your questions. If I wasn't on my phone I'd get you the links.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Welcome

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Black1SS

Thanks guys for the welcome. I have spent the last few weeks listning to clips online but I am sure they sound differant in person. That is why I was curious as to what y'all thought. You guys get to hear it up close and personally and i have to listened through crappy comp speakers. Lol.
Btw, you have to have a tune when you install a cai. I don't have anyone near me that tunes cars that I know of. If anyone around Florence SC knows of a good shop that has a synopsis and can tune, let me know. Thanks again guys
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
welcome
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
Thanks guys for the welcome. I have spent the last few weeks listning to clips online but I am sure they sound differant in person. That is why I was curious as to what y'all thought. You guys get to hear it up close and personally and i have to listened through crappy comp speakers. Lol.
Btw, you have to have a tune when you install a cai. I don't have anyone near me that tunes cars that I know of. If anyone around Florence SC knows of a good shop that has a synopsis and can tune, let me know. Thanks again guys
You'll want to contact Ted at Jannetty racing. No one can do as good as a job with a remote tune as him. Seeing he has done prob 800 to date. Plus it always easier to have him email you something then drive a few hours to a shop for a 5 min adjustment. Just give him a day or so right now. Hes been away all wk and is a wanted man here. I'm sure he has a ton of emails to read through.

Cat back wise, I've heard good things about the corsa and borla sport. More money but you get what you pay for. Nice deep tone without being obnoxious.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Welcome, we have a shop here in Charleston that could help you out HHP, they are on this forum.
Best of luck
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Remember, the sound outside the car is much louder than inside, even with the windows down. My car is very loud outside and quiet inside, even with long tube headers.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Are you looking for performance and sound or just sound?

If sound is what you want, get a set of shorty headers and a cold air intake. If that isn't loud enough, find a cat back system. If loud is what you want (mean aggressive tone) you are going to be hard pressed to find one better than JBA's. I have no problems being heard.

If you want the performance, get LT's and a CAI. I'd keep the factory cat back in place until you see just how loud it gets with the LT's before swapping out the rest of the system.

If you go with shorty headers, you can get by without the tune, even with most of the CAI's out there. LT's will require a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
010 Camaro SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Welcome the the site bud...Congrats on the new purchase...Lots of
information here...And also good people to meet...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
I have the Borla S or Stinger exhaust and I love it. Mine is an automatic and I had Drone from the AFM system until I had it shut off. I don't have any Drone now.

I still think you would be better off getting the ARH long tube headers and keeping your stock exhaust. I take it your looking for that deep muscle car rumble and you wont get it from any cat back system alone. By adding headers and keeping the stock exhaust it will have an aggressive rumble that will make you happy but it won't be too loud and that will make her happy, plus you avoid any chance of Drone that you might get with any cat back system. You do not need a tune with long tube headers, you might get a check engine light but it is highly unlikely if you keep your stock exhaust

The Halltech cai is you best choice for an air intake. I have a Cold Air Inductions air intake and while I did get great HP gains the aluminum intake tube caused the temperature in my engine compartment to jump up. Halltech gets the same gains and uses a plastic intake tube. You do not need a tune with the Halltech or most of the cold air intake systems

Ps. Welcome to the site
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Black1SS

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is why I asked the question here. I thought that putting the exhaust on first and headers later would get me the best sound now with the ability for performance later. I guess i was wrong. It seems i can get the sound and performance by adding the LT headers now and change the exhaust later if it is not loud enough. From what yall are saying though, it will be plenty loud for what I am looking for.
Just to clarify, one said I will need a tune for the long tube headers and one said I wouldnt. I am just going to do the headers right now. I also dont want to throw a engine light if I dont have to.
I am a newbie to all this so please bare with my dumb questions but if I get the guy who was recommended earlier to do the tune for my car, do I have to buy something to install it. Will someone walk me throught he process if I dont drive 2 hours to get it tuned and do it myself like what was said earlier.
Also, with LT headers do I keep the factory cat and also what headers would yall recommend. I am planning on going with the LT headers first after reading about the results so I want to get a good quality that I can add on later.
Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn a ton in a shorth period of time and yall are the place to get some very good info. Thanks for all the help and the warm welcome.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You don't "have to" get a tune with LTs but if you don't you will get a CEL. Plus, getting a tune will get the most of your mods. Downside is that tuning will more than likely void your powertrain warranty so you'll have to be willing to do that.

Adding just a catback and/or CAI will not require you to tune. However, if you do go with a catback you should make sure you realize that LTs will change the sound of the cataback. It might sound just fine with the catback, then you add headers, and all of a sudden it's too loud. Or, the opposite...the 3" Maganaflow is known to be too quiet without headers but with them it sounds great.

As far as the Jannetty tune, you basically pay $400 for an SCT handheld tuner and it will include a custom tune from Ted.

One thing to consider for now is to do a muffler delete. You can usually get that done at a local muffler shop for around $100. That will get you some sound for a little while. Then you'll be able to get more info about different combinations until you find the one you like. You won't be out much money so no big deal with replacing it with an aftermarket catback.

Best thing to do is to keep researching. Listen to the sound clips, look around at the different combinations that people have had. Then you should find one that will probably work for you.

Use the search/advanced search link at the top. Look at muffler deletes, Janetty tune, headers, etc. There is a ton of info/options out there....almost too much.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote