Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Another Dealer Installed Stripe Problem

I haven't seen this problem addressed yet. My stripes were installed by a shop contracted by my dealer. I discovered immediately that the rear edge of the hood stripes don't match the hood's rear edge. You can see in the pic that each stripe needs to be moved approximately 1/2" outboard.

I initially thought the stripes were improperly applied, but upon reading the instructions, it seems that if the instructions are followed by placing the inboard edges of blue premask carrier (the part that is peeled away after the vinyl is installed) against one another, then this automatically places the stripes too close together. (See instructions pic)

You can also see how the hood stripes in the instructions appear to closer together compared to the trunk stripes. My stripes are 2 5/16" apart on the hood and 2 7/8" on the trunk.

Luckily, the service manager agrees this isn't right and will discuss this with the service rep next week.

We figure the blue carrier pieces aren't wide enough on the inboard side to place the stripes in the correct position. We haven't talked to the installer yet, but if he did notice the misalignment, it was probably too late and had to install the other stripe to match the first one.

Something to look for if anyone is getting dealer installed stripes.
Attached Images

69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Orange ss crush
Its all in the paint

Drives: 2010 IOM SS2 Black Stripes
Yes thats a problem - They should be able to remove the old sticker and replace - Obviously the stripe kit was defective on size or install. Sounds more like install but you never know. Good Luck and Thank You mine will be here in a few weeks and that's the first thing I will check.

SS2/ Sunroof/20" polished rims
IOM with black stripe - IOM interior

Order Placed 5/20/09
sitting at 1100
Orange ss crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Vara Chevrolet (San Antonio) installed mine and they bubbled up too much and had to remove and reorder for me. I get mine next week maybe. I'm not sure if I want to let them try again or if I want them to contract it out or sell the stripes and get some painted bumblebees...
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss crush View Post
Yes thats a problem - They should be able to remove the old sticker and replace - Obviously the stripe kit was defective on size or install. Sounds more like install but you never know. Good Luck and Thank You mine will be here in a few weeks and that's the first thing I will check.
I agree. Even if the blue paper was wrong. the installer should have seen this prior to removing the backing paper.

The are too close together and should follow the rear contour of the hood without trimming.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
sales@spencershids.com

Drives: 2008 silverado, 2006 Impala
Having dealer installed stripes is a terrible idea. They tried to get me to install a set of these during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). I laughed and asked them if they wanted to pay me to put them on, then buy a new set and pay a body shop to remove the old ones and install new ones. These should have come painted on IMO.
sales@spencershids.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Vara Chevrolet (San Antonio) installed mine and they bubbled up too much and had to remove and reorder for me. I get mine next week maybe. I'm not sure if I want to let them try again or if I want them to contract it out or sell the stripes and get some painted bumblebees...
Take it to Tom Benson Chevy and have them install the stripes...did mine in about 20 min! Perfect!

Dealer installed stripes are not the problem...it's the idiots who don't know how to install the stripes! Although painted would have been best!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
i told the dealer to give me the 105 dollars for the install and found a graphix guy who will do the car for around 300 but at least he does it for a living
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
This is why you should always be there when stripes are installed.

Can we get a picture of the front edge of the hood stripe?
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote