Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
How to tell if Camaro has a tune?

Just for grins I decided to look around on Craigs List to see if there were any well priced Camaros locally. Then I started thinking....if you were to buy one used how do you know if it has an aftermarket tune done on it? I'm assuming you could take it to a dealership but I would think that would cost money and time. Most people won't do that; including me.

So....if by chance I found a great deal on a used on how could I tell if there was a tune that would possibley kill the drive train warranty?

BTW: Nothing really good out there. Everyone still wants basically the price they paid for the car new. Anyone can ask what they want but pricing right now wouldn't keep me from buying new at this point.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
mmm, just ask the seller. I would think if the car is 100% stock, the tune is also stock. You worry too much.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Make them show you a receipt of some kind, or the programmer they used. Only way I could figure out how. Or, of they're using the addition of a tune to want more money tell them that you will only pay it on confirmation of a tune. That will put the ball in their court.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
My thinking is that I would use the tune as a negative. After all you could pull out the "drive train warranty voided" card.

Thats the thing. If I get a new one I would probably put off the tune for a little bit to make sure nothing went wrong with it before I took the chance that the warranty might go away.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Ex: what if someone was trying to learn HP tuners on their Camaro. They decide to sell....you buy....a month later something goes wrong....take to dealership under warranty...you get denied because their is an after market tune.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote