Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #379
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
OG's never had real radio's, speakers, or air conditioning. We didn't have comfy powered seats with heat. Shoot, we didin't even have powered door locks or windows. Do you honestly think the few minor inconviences associated with the 2014 Z/28 would stop us from purchasing it? We would have died for factory racing brakes, rear axle technology to transfer torque more effectively, DSSV dampers that are space program technology....and an aero package designed in a wind tunnel to provide downforce at speed. Not to mention a 427 CID powerplant that rev's to 7,100 RPM....with a warranty. The Z/28 is the cat's meooow man. It's the pinacle for Camaro's as we speak...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #380
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
OG's never had real radio's, speakers, or air conditioning. We didn't have comfy powered seats with heat. Shoot, we didin't even have powered door locks or windows. Do you honestly think the few minor inconviences associated with the 2014 Z/28 would stop us from purchasing it? We would have died for factory racing brakes, rear axle technology to transfer torque more effectively, DSSV dampers that are space program technology....and an aero package designed in a wind tunnel to provide downforce at speed. Not to mention a 427 CID powerplant that rev's to 7,100 RPM....with a warranty. The Z/28 is the cat's meooow man. It's the pinacle for Camaro's as we speak...
No but I think the $65,000+ price tag will stop 99.9% of those who begged GM for it from buying it! They missed the price point ball.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #381
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Amen brother. This car is an absolute beast. I have driven cars without a radio or A/C for years and didn't bug me at all. Who needs a radio when you have an LS7 with dual mode exhaust to listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
No but I think the $65,000+ price tag will stop 99.9% of those who begged GM for it from buying it! They missed the price point ball.
How many people but ZL1s compared to other Camaros? Should that stop GM from building them?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #382
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
.....hmmm, not sure. A totally redesigned car in it's front and tail. Carbon ceramic brakes, DSSV dampers, helical cut gears in new rear axle configuration....hood heat diffuser, aero package side, nose, and tail. Recaro seats, Tremec 6060 tranny, 3.91 final drive gear, A/C delete, 300 pounds lighter than a ZL1....one speaker, wiring delete.....that's for starters....oh, 19" square dedicated rims with Pirelli performance rubber....and I didn't mention an LS7 with a trick cold airbox...., yes, not one for masses consumption price wise, but one for masses adulation performance wise whether or not we can afford it.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #383
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Amen brother. This car is an absolute beast. I have driven cars without a radio or A/C for years and didn't bug me at all. Who needs a radio when you have an LS7 with dual mode exhaust to listen to?

How many people but ZL1s compared to other Camaros? Should that stop GM from building them?
Totally different animal. The ZL1 is not a $65,000+ track toy and track toy only. The guy who is able to buy a track car for that kind of money has a few cars and is more of a collector. Most of these will end up sitting in a warehouse/garage somewhere collecting dust. I'm glad they built the car but standard features such as the carbon brakes push this car into the wrong target audience for GM.

Last edited by CamaroTom; 03-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #384
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2014 BRM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Only the 1Gen was a Z/28. The others 2Gen - 4Gen were Z28. The 1Gen was built to race first and be sold for the street second. Therefore the 2014 Z/28 is back to its original design. Most cars with this type content would have an R after the name. The Z/28 doesn't need that.
My memory my be really rusty here, but I thought the original Z/28 meant the upgraded '67 roadable racer. Later, Z28 was an option code for the similar package.

Feel free to correct me if MY gray is showing through.
Ayuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #385
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Totally different animal. The ZL1 is not a $65,000+ track toy and track toy only. The guy who is able to buy a track car for that kind of money has a few cars and is more of a collector. Most of these will end up sitting in a warehouse/garage somewhere collecting dust. I'm glad they built the car but standard features such as the carbon brakes push this car into the wrong target audience for GM.
I said pretty much the same thing on another thread.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 AM   #386
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
For those of you who think this car is designed for the casual weekend racer who goes to track events 3 or 4 times a year you couldn't be more wrong. This car isn't just a weekend track car for the HPDE driver. This car is going to win races. It's the basis for a killer race car that's going to shake up the semi-pro/pro racing world. I expect to see this car winning it's class in long events like Le Mans, Daytona, etc.

The original Z/28 was built in enough quantities to qualify it as a "street" car so it could compete in the Trans Am series, but it was never intended to be just a street car. It was built to win races and this new one is following that rationale. I fully expect this new generation car to carry on the hallowed name and tradition of the Z/28 with full pride and honors.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #387
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Who says it's a track only car? I don't believe in garage queens or safe queens when it comes to my firearms. If I could swing a Z/28, I would drive it. No radio doesn't bother me at all.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #388
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
GM should open the order process and let you choose which f'n engine you want in any Camaro. An LS3 485, An ASA, An LS7, or an LS9....

Pwr windows, radio, AC, Sunroof, My link, you want em, you got em.....

It's all about the mighty dollar. Too bad they didn't spend the money on engineering a reliable transmission to go in their 40K SS/RS burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me....
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #389
camaroRND2

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS 6sp.
I race my 450rwhp SS with stock 6sp tranny every weekend and drive it to work during the week. 30k miles and about 30 timeslips and tranny is still kickin. Some people have bad luck and others don't. Sell me your LS3 and go buy a LS7 to throw in you car. I got am S-10 looking for a heart transplant.
camaroRND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #390
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Compare that price to some of the Supercars, and how do you think it missed the price point? I'm sure we'll see some info over the Summer how competitive the Z/28 will be compared to those we are familiar with overseas. and 99.9%? - c'mon, exaggerate a little?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #391
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
If they just wanted to produce a track novelty car, I wish they would have used the "Hot Wheels" version instead of turning it into something it hasn't been in previous generations. There's always the C7 to look at, that team did a great job.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #392
Reefblue42

Drives: '20 ZL1/'97 SS LT4
I don't think so. There will be those that'll be disappointed. I respect that alot...but like Scott was saying and what I've read echoed here is that its gone back to its roots, back to those who've really loved the Z/28 for what it was and hated where it went throughout the years.

I think with all the versions of Camaro you can get now...its nice to see a model come out directed to the enthusiasts, I mean really directed it seems. You just don't see that anymore unless you look at Porsche (911 GT3), BMW (M3 GTS), or Mercedes (AMG Black Series). There are others that don't come to mind at the moment...

They made the COPO...can't register it or drive it other than a qtr mile at a time. Now this...a Camaro set up to do the deed 3 seconds quicker (I still can't believe it).

You know I watch the video of the ZL1 ripping up the Nurburgring and have to say....this Z/28 will do it approx. 3 seconds quicker than that?? Don't get me wrong, I believe it can with the enhancements mentioned. Lower weight, better brakes, body enhancements...just amazing--can't wait to see the videos. Popcorn awaits!!!
Reefblue42 is offline   Reply With Quote