Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
King Leonidas
Anthony

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Squeak noise relevant with speed (SOLVED)

PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE RESPONDING

Hey all, I don't know where else to go. I have been to a tire shop, a brake shop, and three dealerships and not one person can figure out what the problem is.

What started as an infrequent noise from what I thought were the brakes has now become a noise that if the car is moving, it is making it.

The noise is quite loud, and at times can be heard with the windows up and radio on.

If the car is moving, forward or backwards the noise is present. It is persistant with the speed of the car, and does not go away no matter what gear I am in, and regardless of if I am pressing the gas or the brake.

It sounds as if something is on the rotor, because at 5mph it is a rotating type of noise, and the fast I speed up the faster the noise gets. It is relevant with the speed of the car.

I went and had the rotors and pads looked at, the dealership said my rear rotors were a bit warped so they machined them and cleaned up my pads and said everything looks perfectly fine. However, once I left the dealership about 5 minutes later BOOM the noise is back. I called the dealership only to have the guy tell me he has no idea what to do. Both he and myself are extremely frustrated.

The car HAS to be in motion for the noise to be there, if I turn, brake, speed up, anything, the noise does not go away.

I will try and post a video here soon so you can get an idea of what I mean by rotating noise.

** Note: I have driven with two mechanics while the noise happened and both of them said it had to be my brakes, which is why I had the dealership maintenance them **

Car is a 2013 2LT/RS with just under 25,000 miles. Never raced, never abused, all oil changes and upkeep on the car has been really good.

Last edited by King Leonidas; 04-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.
King Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Rear or front end bearings?
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
King Leonidas
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candr3535 View Post
Rear or front end bearings?
Probably a dumb question but how would I go about checking that? What I have found to be the main concern is that it is so loud I can't pinpoint where it is coming from but I am almost 100% it is coming from the rear. I will post a video right now
Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Driveshaft carrier bearing would be my guess then without anything other than your post for diagnosis and the fact that the brakes are reported to be fine. This is me assuming the V6 models have the two piece driveshaft.

Shouldn't be in the diff as those noises tend to be grinding or whining types with pinion and carrier bearings. Possibly belt tensioner pulley or another pulley under the hood when the engine is under load?

I'd have thought the dealer would've thrown it on a lift and diagnosed it further.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
King Leonidas
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Driveshaft carrier bearing would be my guess then without anything other than your post for diagnosis and the fact that the brakes are reported to be fine. This is me assuming the V6 models have the two piece driveshaft.

Shouldn't be in the diff as those noises tend to be grinding or whining types with pinion and carrier bearings. Possibly belt tensioner pulley or another pulley under the hood when the engine is under load?

I'd have thought the dealer would've thrown it on a lift and diagnosed it further.
I thought about a pulley under the hood but then wouldn't it do it if I revved the engine up while in neutral or park? As for the brakes now I know its not them, I will look into the driveshaft!

I thought the dealership would do some more inspecting too but they all tell me something along the lines of "Well we don't know what to look at so unless you have a specific problem we can't just go at it with no information"
Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
King Leonidas
Anthony

Here is a link to a video I have from the other night.

Please keep in mind, the noise is MUCH louder in person than the video, turn your speakers up and listen carefully, a little hard to hear over the exhaust but it's the best video I have right now. Will try and get a better one today

https://youtu.be/ERj366Z-6Ps
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
If check the driveshaft center bearing.

When you brake does the noise continue or go away? If it goes away then it's brake related otherwise check the driveline (driveshaft, axles, bearings). If it was pulley related you'd be able to hear it while it idles. Since the car has to be in motion I bet it's driveline related
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
King Leonidas
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
If check the driveshaft center bearing.

When you brake does the noise continue or go away? If it goes away then it's brake related otherwise check the driveline (driveshaft, axles, bearings). If it was pulley related you'd be able to hear it while it idles. Since the car has to be in motion I bet it's driveline related
Yea the noise continues regardless of if I am braking or accelerating.

Gonna schedule another dealership visit and tell them to look into the driveshaft and the bearings for me. Thanks for the input, really hoping to get this solved before something breaks or the noise drives me to insanity
Old 02-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Dale_K

Drives: 2014 1LS
Totally a guess but maybe the parking brake? Possibly try dragging the parking brake a little while the noise is happening to see what happens. I guess the chime will ring when you raise the handle but maybe you can still hear whether there is a difference.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Pulleys flex with the belt tension when the engine is under load is why I suggested those. Really a competent tech at the dealer or any shop should be able to find it.

As slow as that squeak sounds when in cycle I'm going to change my guess to something with a wheel. Driveshaft spins much faster that that at any point in time and that's not likely a pulley.

You say the shop looked at the brakes fully and checked/changed things out. They missed something. Not sure if a rock made it's way between the rotor and pad/caliper or what else but if it were me, I'd be jacking it up and rotating each wheel and tire by hand to try and find it.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
Revster

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Just throwing out ideas probably ( same as Dale K ) but once I had a car and It

made a terrible noise, same symptoms as yours and it was the E brake mechanism, I have also had wheel bearings make some hard to detect noises.
Good luck.

Last edited by Revster; 02-12-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Revster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
King Leonidas
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Pulleys flex with the belt tension when the engine is under load is why I suggested those. Really a competent tech at the dealer or any shop should be able to find it.

As slow as that squeak sounds when in cycle I'm going to change my guess to something with a wheel. Driveshaft spins much faster that that at any point in time and that's not likely a pulley.

You say the shop looked at the brakes fully and checked/changed things out. They missed something. Not sure if a rock made it's way between the rotor and pad/caliper or what else but if it were me, I'd be jacking it up and rotating each wheel and tire by hand to try and find it.
I am gonna look into the e-brake as well. Big O tires and the dealership looked at the brakes, both said the rear rotors were mildly warped and had a glaze on the pads. The dealership machined the rear rotors and cleaned the pads and said everything looked fantastic. So I don't know where to go, and don't wanna keep spending money for "maintenance" on my brakes if they don't even need it.

Gonna keep it in mind tho!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I'd get that car in the air and rotate each wheel one at a time, then I'd put in drive while off the ground and check that way.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #14
King Leonidas
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candr3535 View Post
I'd get that car in the air and rotate each wheel one at a time, then I'd put in drive while off the ground and check that way.
On it! Will report back soon