Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Evo X or 2009 Sti?
Evo 22 44.90%
Sti 11 22.45%
Id rather gauge my eyes out with a spoon. 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Voted EVO .. IMO better all around car ! Great AWD system.

Crowley
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
For a track monster I’d get an Evo IX but if it’s a DD as well then an Evo X GSR (the dual-clutch will not handle large power). You can get more power $ for $ out of the Evo than the STI. If it’s just a track car then I’d turbo a Miata or do an LS conversion on one. While the engine and AWD system on the Evo IX are great the platform is still based off a basic economy car chassis whereas if you start with a dedicated sports car platform it’s easier to just add power.

To me the STI is for people who like to go fast but also carry people and crap in all kinds of weather.

Also max power that can be sent to the rear is 59% with the diff 95% open.

Well you own an STi... what kind of Aftermarket is there for one?

For instance... how much $$ / Hp-Tq would an intake, exhaust, tune give you on a stock sti?

The way my buddy and i feel about it is... Evo GSR<STi<Evo MR, and the MR is out of the price range so STi it is. The fact that stock for stock the evo outperforms it is something that is considered, however he'd be going aftermarket for about everything so he's just interested in Engine/Drive train. plus IMVHO the Sti is laid out better than the Evo. simple.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I used to own a Mitsushiti Eclipse GSX Turbo. It was an OK car for the money, the Evo is supposed to be fast. But who wants to go fast and look that ugly...not me!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
diddiyo

Drives: .
that $6500 off just jumped to $8000 according to a message the dealer just left me lol. looks like they really want me to go back there.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
that $6500 off just jumped to $8000 according to a message the dealer just left me lol. looks like they really want me to go back there.
you looking at the GSR or MR?

from everything ive seen the GSR would be more fun
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Which dealer? Is it Bell Mitsubishi?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Am View Post
Which dealer? Is it Bell Mitsubishi?
well actually all-star mitsu in sayreville first offered me the $6500 off right away and then today i got a call from bell about the 8k off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
you looking at the GSR or MR?
GSR. but the thing is, until now i wasn't even serious about that car. i only went there to see one in person since i had never seen it before. but now they are throwing those discounts at me lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
Both cars have their good and bad points. I've owned a 05sti and now own a 08sti so you can say I'm more of a subaru guy but the evo's are very well built cars. The only way to decide which one is for you is to test drive them both. My 05 was built for the track... I'd nearly piss blood after 3hr drive but my 08 is a perfect DD car.
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg107 View Post
Both cars have their good and bad points. I've owned a 05sti and now own a 08sti so you can say I'm more of a subaru guy but the evo's are very well built cars. The only way to decide which one is for you is to test drive them both. My 05 was built for the track... I'd nearly piss blood after 3hr drive but my 08 is a perfect DD car.
So which would you rather have as your only car in college, the 05' or 08'
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
There is plenty of aftermarket for the ST and Evo both. In the past you could make more power with the Evo cheaper because you didn’t need to upgrade the turbo as soon. Not sure if that is still the case on the new B411 engine.

Stock STI’ dyno at around 225 AWHP, the cheapest thing is to go directly to a stage two tune which is:

Downpipe - $500 for catted $250 for non
Cobb Access Port $650-$700
Protune - $500, most will require compression testing and so forth so another $100 or so.

On 93 Octane that should net you about 260 AWHP and 310lb Tq.

Most will go with a full TBE instead of the just the DP although that s really just for looks and sound so another $400-$1,000 depending on what you like.

Through in a CAI for $300 and maybe add another 10hp.

I’m quoting wheel horse power as that is more appropriate since AWD cars loose more power to parasitic powertrain losses as compared to RWD cars. Of course it’s made back up in the 0-60/0-100 range due to added grip.

The majority of the power in STI’s and Evo’s is between 0-80 mph IMO. For instance even from a roll (not an STI strong suit) and with only a stage 1 OTS map (est 250 AWHP) I can pace or nudge ahead of a Merc S600 (twin turbo V12). Once you get to 70+ he’ll pull on me from there.

As to only car in college I’d take the STI due to the added practicality. I’ve hauled lots of crap in mine including my OEM exhaust and kid which you could never do in an Evo.

Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
well actually all-star mitsu in sayreville first offered me the $6500 off right away and then today i got a call from bell about the 8k off.

GSR. but the thing is, until now i wasn't even serious about that car. i only went there to see one in person since i had never seen it before. but now they are throwing those discounts at me lol.
I bought an Evo9 from Bell. I had a good experience with them, for what it's worth. This was back in ~2004 though. People may have changed since then. How can they be making money with an $8000 discount?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #26
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Am View Post
I bought an Evo9 from Bell. I had a good experience with them, for what it's worth. This was back in ~2004 though. People may have changed since then. How can they be making money with an $8000 discount?
well, they're scumbags :>
i went there (Bell) and they were like "wellll yes we do have $8k rebates but that's on [name of SUV] not on the Evo obviously!" and I said "then why did you leave me a message about an 8k rebate and waste my time when you know im interested in the evo?" that shut him up and I left. A day later he left me another message to "further look into the deal" but I never answered.

The other offer about the 6,5k was at All-Star Mitsu. I got it in writing. Unfortunately I couldn't make it there in time since the 0% financing deal offered by Mitsu was only good thru 3/31.