Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Well looks like all those clamoring for a lightened Camaro will have it!. And significantly I might add compared to Gen5. The upcoming Caddy and Camaro are based on the same architecture, so expect the weights to be very similar between them. Gen6 Camaro, as it looks now, will be back at the curb weight of the last of the F bodies in 2002. Well played GM, well played....

So, as Mac says...resurrect the Z-28 then for Gen6, and I propose they make a 1LE track pack version < aka Z-28, but not named as so> now for the last of the Gen5.
You realize GM never called anything "track pack"
... actually, I think it's a chrysler thing. Gives me the heebyjeebies when ya'll use it.
...almost bad as calling a "wheel", a "rim".

nothing personal, just FYI
Old 01-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Guys, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. From the article, it sounds like the ATS will START at 3400 pounds, for the N/A Ecotec 4-cyl version (an appalling choice to offer in a Cadillac by the way...reading that gives me instant flashbacks of the Cimmeron).

A 5th gen V8 Camaro would likely be closer to 3600+ lbs on the same platform. The only way you get a Z/28 Camaro at 3400 lbs will either be if it is a 4-cylinder, or if it turns out to be a "stripper" model, similar to what Porche does with certain models, where leather, power seats, air conditioning, a radio, most of the sound insulation, and possibly the back seats are deleted in an all out effort to reduce weight, or, some combination of both.
You are partially right, in that I am sure the V8 will weigh more than the I4 in the ATS, however the ATS will have a lot of features as standard equipment that will be options on the Camaro. For all we know, a "stripper" model of an ATS could weigh in at 3200lbs, but since it is a Cadillac and not a Chevy (meaning you can't order it as a stripper model) we will never know.

ATS also will have more glass and two more doors on it. I would imagine doors add weight and I know glass does.

That said, I doubt the aluminum hood would make it on the Camaro, and the magnesium engine mount brackets might not either.

What can be said, with pretty good certainty, is that the next Camaro will be significantly lighter than the current one.

One other thing to think about is how big the Camaro will be compared to the ATS. Same platform, but what about overall length? ATS is about 6 inches shorter than the Gen5, does that mean the Gen6 Camaro will be smaller than the current car? That could add weight as well.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Guys, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. From the article, it sounds like the ATS will START at 3400 pounds, for the N/A Ecotec 4-cyl version (an appalling choice to offer in a Cadillac by the way...reading that gives me instant flashbacks of the Cimmeron).

A 5th gen V8 Camaro would likely be closer to 3600+ lbs on the same platform. The only way you get a Z/28 Camaro at 3400 lbs will either be if it is a 4-cylinder, or if it turns out to be a "stripper" model, similar to what Porche does with certain models, where leather, power seats, air conditioning, a radio, most of the sound insulation, and possibly the back seats are deleted in an all out effort to reduce weight, or, some combination of both.
Actually...GM just issued another press release regarding the ATS's engines.

Quote:
With the 3.6L V-6, for example, there is 1 horsepower for every 10.8 pounds of vehicle weight.
The 3.6L is rated at 315 HP. 315 HP * 10.8 lb = 3402 lbs.

Perhaps my math is wrong...but this may just be a VERY light car.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:

Even if it did come in at 3600 thats still better than 4000..... I think
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Since they only rounded to one figure after the decimal place, you could have a range of 3386 to 3414 pounds (using 10.75 to 10.84 lbs per HP).

An LT Camaro with the same engine and transmission combination weighs 3720lbs. So the ATS is at least 300lbs lighter. An SS with a stick is 3850lbs, so we're talking 3550lbs for a fully loaded Camaro with a V8. If some of the features standard on the ATS are not added to the Camaro, you may be looking at sub 3500lbs for a V8 Camaro. Plus I stand by what I said earlier, that the extra doors and glass on the ATS add weight that the Camaro won't have. There will also be significantly less sound deadening material, which isn't light.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Maybe we should not have made this thread for like 3 years or so......

Boy do we have a looooong time to speculate.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You realize GM never called anything "track pack"
... actually, I think it's a chrysler thing. Gives me the heebyjeebies when ya'll use it.
...almost bad as calling a "wheel", a "rim".

nothing personal, just FYI
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131653
Theres alot of verbiage discussed, bandied about, and tossed around here that I, and many of my colleagues, have discussed about the ZL1 for over a year, none of which I recall you posting about until recently, sooooo... here's a recent link to go with that....and as things stand you can say what you will, for now....<as my teeth clench ever so slightly into my tongue>
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

I'm going to Bing for a pic of doodoo hittin' the fan. Shovels at the ready, ACE hardware is open if you need 'em.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131653
Theres alot of verbiage discussed, bandied about, and tossed around here that I, and many of my colleagues, have discussed about the ZL1 for over a year, none of which I recall you posting about until recently, sooooo... here's a recent link to go with that....and as things stand you can say what you will, for now....<as my teeth clench ever so slightly into my tongue>
Ohhhh I see.... so you think I'm a noob in the Z28 threads?

.... SMACK.... am I a noob to the Zee threads?

Fen... he called me a noob... you gonna let him get away with that?

.... Clyde???

aww... c'mon guys
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
You are partially right, in that I am sure the V8 will weigh more than the I4 in the ATS, however the ATS will have a lot of features as standard equipment that will be options on the Camaro. For all we know, a "stripper" model of an ATS could weigh in at 3200lbs, but since it is a Cadillac and not a Chevy (meaning you can't order it as a stripper model) we will never know.

ATS also will have more glass and two more doors on it. I would imagine doors add weight and I know glass does.

That said, I doubt the aluminum hood would make it on the Camaro, and the magnesium engine mount brackets might not either.

What can be said, with pretty good certainty, is that the next Camaro will be significantly lighter than the current one.

One other thing to think about is how big the Camaro will be compared to the ATS. Same platform, but what about overall length? ATS is about 6 inches shorter than the Gen5, does that mean the Gen6 Camaro will be smaller than the current car? That could add weight as well.
There is an aluminum hood on the current production Camaro (at least that's my understanding), why would there not be one on the 6th gen.??
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Unveil talked about a lot of aluminum and magnesium in the undercarriage. I can see some of that changing over to steel for the 6th gen.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
wildpaws

MisterCamaro69, perhaps it's the "tone" of what you are saying combined with random appearences in these threads, or not. Sometimes my fuzzy old brain takes a while to remember who has contributed to these threads and who hasn't if it hasn't been recent.
That said, back to the topics at hand. It sounds to me like the new chassis is going to fall within the range I said I hoped for a few weeks back, I said I felt certain the new ATS chassis would allow a 200 lb. weight reduction, but I was really hoping for a 300-400 lb. reduction and it looks like it will be very close to that.
Clyde
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
Actually, the current Camaro is not that small, the body "footprint" is close to that of the '69/'70 Chevelle, look at pics of a 5th gen. Camaro next to a 1st gen Camaro, the 5th gen is significantly larger in overall size.
Clyde
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
OldScoolCamaro

Actually, these guys come to mind..but at least they were comical...