Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
pandalove182

Drives: 1985 camaro Z28,2000 camaro SS
2000 camaro ss upgrades

Im pretty sure this topic has been on the website more than 100 times. Im looking at getting a cam and a set of headers. Basically, I want to spend around $600-800 in upgrades. If you guys could give me any good input in quality parts or perhaps maybe better ideas for upgrades, this would be appreciated.

The Car:
2000 Camaro SS
manual
Borla Exhaust
Skipshift eliminator
pandalove182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Gonna cost more than that.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post

Depending on mileage you might want to replace the the timing chain, oil pump, possibly lifters if the cam is healthy and mileage is high. You'll want to replace the pushrods and springs at the very least, plus a good tune when you're done. Would you be doing the work yourself or having a shop do it?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
A LOT MORE!!!
Your best bet is to go over @ www.ls1tech.com
TONS of info and tips.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
not going to cost much more than that if all you are doing is a cam and header swap.

pacesetter lt's with ORY for ~$500.00 from www.herronperformance.com

thats if you want ceramic coated. if you go with painted, they are even less, but will deteriorate over time.

the camshaft.... depending on where you get it and if its new/used and if you get it with a kit that includes springs, lifters, retainers, pushrods, rockers, etc, will cost you anywhere from $100-$1000.00

keep in mind the size of the cam and what your springs can handle. ideally, you need to replace the springs during a camswap as well as the lifters.

check out this link for some other things that you need to be aware of before doing a camswap.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
pandalove182

Drives: 1985 camaro Z28,2000 camaro SS
the car has 22k miles on it, awesome condition. And for the work question, myself and a few mechanics that I know will be working on the car. In regards to the cam, lifters, springs, what would you quote me at for a good combination of these things? Disregarding the installation. My goal is to add hp and what I really want is for this car to sound like 60's muscle car, with that deep gurgly idle.
pandalove182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandalove182 View Post
the car has 22k miles on it, awesome condition. And for the work question, myself and a few mechanics that I know will be working on the car. In regards to the cam, lifters, springs, what would you quote me at for a good combination of these things? Disregarding the installation. My goal is to add hp and what I really want is for this car to sound like 60's muscle car, with that deep gurgly idle.
depending on what cam you went with would change the price as you would need springs to match the cam. you can run LS7 lifters (they are around 100 bucks for a set). the cam (if new around 300 or so). pushrods wont cost much, but you'll need to make sure you run the right size ones using a pushrod length checker. rockers, anywhere from 200-500 for a good set. stock ratio is 1.7 IIRC, you can upgrade to 1.85's.

or if you really wanted to make things a little simpler on yourself, get the lifters separate and then call these guys...
http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsGMLS1.html

they do some awesome head/cam packages. a friend of mine down here is running a set of their heads on his GTO with nothing more than a CAI and cat-back exhaust and is pushing 423rwhp. stock cam.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Id pick a reputable shop that has the firsthand experience with LSx cars and just buy a package from them. One shop ive heard good things about is www.texas-speed.com, just call them and see what they say. Or another good one is www.vengeancerd.com, its not gonna be as easy as just picking a cam and throwing it in there and being good to go. Your gonna have to make sure the clearances on the p to v are good, probably need to have it tuned, worse gas mileage, driveability issues, etc. Just go to www.ls1tech.com and do alot of reading and inform yourself as to what your looking at.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote