Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
antman

Drives: Victory Red 2013 Camaro SS/RS, L99
Rear main seal problems with Supercharger

I'm a longtime follower of this forum and first time poster.

I'm looking into installing a supercharger on my car. I'll be going with the canned tune and other than the supercharger the car is going to stay stock at least for a while. I've read and heard that installing a supercharger causes the rear main seal to go out due to the increased CC pressure. I'm not sure if this comes up only on cars with custom tunes and other mods. I was wanting to hear if any of you guys with just a supercharger installed have had any problems with the rear main seal.
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
With proper Crankvase ventilation, this should be no problem
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You'll need to be making a lot of boost to push oil out of the rear main. Mine took 12+ psi and it leaked a bit. Dual catch cans and a vent cover breather and its been fine for years. Plus it only happens when you abuse the car. IE the track.

Catch cans are still a good idea.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
I'd say about 20% of the brand new stock cars we have come by are either weeping out of the rear main or leaking out of the oil cooler. I bet its just a coincidence that it got a bad rep for causing leaks.
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
VENT VENT VENT

Proper ventilation will keep you from blowing the Rear main out
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
VENT VENT VENT

Proper ventilation will keep you from blowing the Rear main out
+1
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Let us (or Jessika) know if you want the solutions, but we see seepage on far to many bone stock.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Jessika
Account Suspended

I will add that my old G8 had rear main seepage pre-blower. And even with 8-9psi (and two difference blowers) I never saw it progress.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
BowenSS1

Drives: She totaled it!
I had a rear main leak before s.c!
BowenSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
slowfofo

Drives: slow
So after reading all this, do you feel more confident? I am about to go F/I (forced Induction) as well. I have had several F/I cars in the past and I can tell you leaky Rear main seal is part of the territory. But like they say above if you vent the valve cover your fine. Plus you can purchase a 1LE vent from the dealer that helps a lot. In short if you limit your car to less than 8psi - I am sure you will be fine
slowfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
antman

Drives: Victory Red 2013 Camaro SS/RS, L99
Thanks for everyone's feedback! Makes me lean more to getting one put in. Is there anything more than putting on a valve cover breather to get proper ventilation?
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Jessika
Account Suspended

Depending on goals, a catch can is a great investment to go with that breather.
For most, the stage 1 is perfect. The stage two is awesome though.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback! Makes me lean more to getting one put in. Is there anything more than putting on a valve cover breather to get proper ventilation?
In my case Ted had to adjust the tune. Something about unmetered air because it enters not through the maf.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman View Post
let me tell you of my personal experience a few days ago, a friend of mine with a 13psi TVS2300 416 silverado truck kept on blowing the rear main seal, a mere 5 seconds of full throttle were all he needed to kill a brand new seal, he had a breather on the oil cap, passenger side breather hose into the CAI after the MAF and the drivers side going into an RX catch can and into the blower.

His engine definitely has loose ring gaps so you can see quite some blowby at idle BUT, when we connect the drivers side to the RX catch can it STOPS venting, we put the hose on the other opening and same thing it does not vent, im sure when connected to the blower it was venting a LITTLE bit because he was getting a little oil in the can but as soon as we took off the RX catch can and put another some crappy china catch can with no mesh no check valve or weird stuff just as a method of collecting oil puddles from going into the inlet tube or blower and not trying to condense the oil in the otherwise gaseous blowby.

Yes we havent spoken to RX about it, but if RX wants I can even shoot a video of this happening since the blowby is very obvious when you point a flashlight at the PCV hoses.

You will not have those issues unless you really come up with something crazy like I guy I know who blocked the PCV hose completely because some idiot on the forum told him to do so

PS, not trying to start a fight here either.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1

Last edited by ayousef; 05-31-2013 at 11:08 PM.
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote