Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
kannon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/M6
First door ding...done at dealership

I brought my car in today to have the airbag recall done and when I picked it up, there was this nice ding in the passenger door. It's pretty windy out today, so I'm guessing someone's door flung open during a wind gust. I pointed it out to the service writer and he said they can fix it if I drop it off next week. Anyone have experience with dealers fixing door dings like this? It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a slight crease above the ding that is about 4 inches long. The car only has 5k miles on it and the paint is flawless. No chips, dings, scratches, etc. Hopefully they can fix the damage but I'm worried that they'll botch the repair.
Attached Images

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
next week they can get the other door!

Most PDR guys can get those out pretty well without you even knowing it was there.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
kannon

Do you what process they use for the repair? Do they just "fill in" the dent?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
dealership bodyshops are just like independent ones. some are good, some not so much.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Do you what process they use for the repair? Do they just "fill in" the dent?
A paintless dent removal guy will have tools to go down through the top of the door between the window and massage the dent from the inside until its no longer there. I just had 3 taken out of my doors a couple weeks ago. Took about 30 minutes to do all 3. Its as straight as can be. I was quite amazed watching them do it.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
And thus why I stay away from dealerships. The people who work on the cars really just don't care.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Lanzz

Drives: 2019 MB E450, 2019 Miata RF
I had the same thing happen to my Challenger at a dealer in NYC when it had 37 miles on it. They had some hack PDR guy attempt to fix it - but it was not a great job. I spent another $200 to get it done myself, and if I look hard, I can still see it. If ever in the market for a Jeep / Dodge / Chrysler avoid Eastchester Dodge in the Bronx.

Kannon, I hope it works out better for you.
Lanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
A good PDR tech should be able to get that out!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
id shank somebody for less.

Lanz, why did you pay out of your own pocket for their mistake? If they cant get it back to brand new, they either replace the door or pay for somebody else to get it right
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
A paintless dent removal guy will have tools to go down through the top of the door between the window and massage the dent from the inside until its no longer there. I just had 3 taken out of my doors a couple weeks ago. Took about 30 minutes to do all 3. Its as straight as can be. I was quite amazed watching them do it.

That is quite the process, you almost are stunned that it actually works, but it does.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
kannon

Lol well it looks like this can go either way. I'll update this thread once they get a chance to fix it. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
That is quite the process, you almost are stunned that it actually works, but it does.
Yea I've never seen it done before. The guy that did my dent removal made it look easy. Had all kinds of weird looking tools.

Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
I brought my car in today to have the airbag recall done and when I picked it up, there was this nice ding in the passenger door. It's pretty windy out today, so I'm guessing someone's door flung open during a wind gust. I pointed it out to the service writer and he said they can fix it if I drop it off next week. Anyone have experience with dealers fixing door dings like this? It's hard to tell in the picture but there is a slight crease above the ding that is about 4 inches long. The car only has 5k miles on it and the paint is flawless. No chips, dings, scratches, etc. Hopefully they can fix the damage but I'm worried that they'll botch the repair.
Well you trusted the dealer enough to buy a car from them why don't you trust them to fix it? They did after all offer to repair it for nothing, basically admitting it was their fault. Dealers with body shops have better training in repairs on their type of vehicles than your independent shops would be my guess.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
kannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
Well you trusted the dealer enough to buy a car from them why don't you trust them to fix it? They did after all offer to repair it for nothing, basically admitting it was their fault. Dealers with body shops have better training in repairs on their type of vehicles than your independent shops would be my guess.
Have you read the dealer horror stories on this forum? Even the posts in this thread make it seem like it can go either way.