Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
9.5hp x 2 =14.2 hp ??
I don't think that is double , but I'm wrong a lot .
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamaro20 View Post
Yeah that's true! But has anyone on here experienced both?

Yes several of us have tried both or more.

Performance wise from a daily driver point of view, Vararam is great because it isn't affected by the underhood temps, especially in the summer like the metal box metal tube intakes are. I think there is a noticable difference.

Performance wise
Vararam
Halltech Yellow Jacket
CAI

Build quality
CAI
Vararam and Halltech

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
slickmetal

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Yes several of us have tried both or more.

Performance wise from a daily driver point of view, Vararam is great because it isn't affected by the underhood temps, especially in the summer like the metal box metal tube intakes are. I think there is a noticable difference.

Performance wise
Vararam
Halltech Yellow Jacket
CAI

Build quality
CAI
Vararam and Halltech
^ This! finally someone posting in regards to the OP. But performance wise, does the CAI increase up on your list with the ADM scoop?

BTW, I just had to give in to the flame part of this thread, but when the person said they should have gotten a ZL1 .... hmmf...if the date stamp on those photos are correct, the SS was top of the line in 2010.
- 2013 Black ZL1 - A6 - Lingenfelter/Cordes Stage 2.5 packages E85 - FORE Fuel System - Kooks LTHs - Magnaflow Cans - Rotofab CAI/Big Gulp/Coolant Tank - Savini 3pc Forged - Underhood Dress Up (ACC & Drake & Moroso) - Hurst Shifter Kit - Custom Audio w/ JL Audio Sub/Amp/Stealthbox - Hand Polished Brace - Oracle Ghost Sidemarkers - LEDs everywhere - 624/617 on E85 & 545/548 on 91 (Sept 2015) - 693rwhp (Dec 15)
slickmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
9.5hp x 2 =14.2 hp ??
I don't think that is double , but I'm wrong a lot .
Depends on whether you look at peak or average.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Thanks for the link Axis. Very informative.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
So what did you end up buying with your "leftover money"? Since I got the top of the line SS/RS, I got everything I wanted. Your comment had nothing to do with getting what we want. It was saying that the SS/RS is middle of the line car. Seeing that both mine and Litle's are 2010 SS/RS models, they are both indeed top of the line vehicles in their year and every year till this one. You bought a bottom of the line car in any year. If that's what you wanted, then that's fine but it's yelling from the cheap seats when you make comments like that when you're several tiers below that. I don't race mine much, but I sure as hell like extra power to get around town and in/out of traffic. V8 power is useful in all kinds of places that don't have time clocks at the end of them. Just because someone spent whatever money on any mods is their own business. Just because you spent less on your ebay intake doesn't mean you got the deal. I just means you bought a cheap intake. Seeing that you're equating your gains on a Solstice to your Camaro shows you know very little about intake science. Yes building a great intake is a science. These guys didn't just bend a pipe and put a filter on the end of it, like your ebay intake. If you don't believe me, ask RacnJasn. He's been trying to perfect his intake for almost a year now. Getting one right for any vehicle takes time and understanding of what makes this car perform better. What may work on one vehicle may not necessarily work on another.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqZ68mo-t7ALdDJ0SWtMdTdKd0RPNlE1dE5ZNVI5aVE&hl=en#gid=0
Grassjumper....The SS is the middle of the line. ZL1 is the top. You don't know what I have, but it gets the same bottom line results as the expensive Fujita that was and is sold by GM dealers. That is what counts...not juvenile stickers and obsession with name brand. Results count, not brand.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
Cruuzin LV

Quote:

It would appear that a cold air intake with the JRE Race Scoop would give you the best of both worlds.... Ram air and CAI with a MAF located in the "stock" position compaired to the Vararam for similar price.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
You don't know what I have, but it gets the same bottom line results as the expensive Fujita that was and is sold by GM dealers. That is what counts...not juvenile stickers and obsession with name brand. Results count, not brand.
You previously mentioned, "No brand on the box or on eBay" for your Camaro's CAI.

So, technically, you don't even know what you have.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Cruuzin LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
You previously mentioned, "No brand on the box or on eBay" for your Camaro's CAI.

So, technically, you don't even know what you have.

Shouldn't we just ignore ebay man now?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
Probably a good idea:
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #39
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Your life... I want it.
Lol it's a hard one bud! Gotta work in the murder capital of the USA! Shitcago lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmetal View Post
^ This! finally someone posting in regards to the OP. But performance wise, does the CAI increase up on your list with the ADM scoop?

BTW, I just had to give in to the flame part of this thread, but when the person said they should have gotten a ZL1 .... hmmf...if the date stamp on those photos are correct, the SS was top of the line in 2010.
Yes it was and I still would not buy a ZL1 lol

Quote:
Yes we should please. OP indeedSS breaks it down pretty good. I have a vararam as you can see on my pics and love it no regrets.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Grassjumper....The SS is the middle of the line. ZL1 is the top. You don't know what I have, but it gets the same bottom line results as the expensive Fujita that was and is sold by GM dealers. That is what counts...not juvenile stickers and obsession with name brand. Results count, not brand.
You have no leg to stand on. ZL1 is only the top of the line starting THIS YEAR. What year is your bottom of the line V6? Oh, it doesn't matter since it was ALWAYS the bottom of the line. I haven't seen a Fujita CAI for the Camaro so I can't comment on it, unless you're still spouting your Solstice SUPER CAR comparison.

Quote:
It would appear that a cold air intake with the JRE Race Scoop would give you the best of both worlds.... Ram air and CAI with a MAF located in the "stock" position compaired to the Vararam for similar price.

Your thoughts?
First of all, Ram air in the sense that it's ramming air into your engine is a myth. I didn't bring the scoop into the mix because it's an extra cost and, theoretically, should increase the HP of any OEM location CAI that has the bottom open. I've never been a fan of VR in general, for various reasons, but they have their fanboys. I'm sure it's a good unit. If you want the absolutely most from a OEM location CAI, the scoop is a must. All of them are the roughly the same so it's not like one scoop performs better than the other.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #41
MoCamaro20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Where did you get this $350 price? They are still $399 on the VR website, but the price varies by vendor.

You've already got an intake, you might as well keep what you have. They both have their own pro's and cons.
marylandspeed.com
MoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
Cruuzin LV

You could get a K&N intake for $235 and the scoop kit for 150 and come pretty darn close to the VR intake price.....

Tags
intake