Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
That's awesome bud, don't forget the negative wires that hook up behind the cyl heads and make sure they are nice and tight but not too tight lol.

Your doing it right!
All ground wires checked off! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Ran into a slight delay...anyone ever try to pull the pulley off the water pump...talk about a challenge... (btw, part of the 10 rib belt kit). I'm also waiting on my custom pushrods, so have a little time to struggle with it...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #17
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I'm falling behind... figured out how to pull the pulley off the water pump...and on my second pump, i figured out how to get the new pulley back on . Actually got this all done last weekend and have been breaking in my clutch this week.

So water pump pulley...first cut off the outside of the old pulley (see pic), then use a 7 ton 3 leg puller to pull off the center piece. Don't try pulling the pulley until the outer ring is cut off...it will just bend. Then heat up the new pulley with a torch and press fit. There is no way to support the shaft on the water pump, so get it hot (I forced it on my original pump and messed up the seal...which i found out after everything was assembled and i was filling the radiator.

Here was my first engine start:

Breaking in my new clutch all this week...should be ready for some WOT runs this weekend to work on the tune.

I have been troubleshooting some vibrations. I started by going back to the stock motor mounts. That actually cleared up quite a bit. I have one last vibration between 4800-5000 rpm... I did inadvertently pull apart the drive shaft reassembling, and randomly slid the spline back in. Local GM service says each piece is balanced individually, so shouldn't be an issue. Others have told me they are balanced as a unit, and it does matter, but i'm not finding the alignment mark.

We'll see, getting a wheel alignment tomorrow for the first time since dropping the rear cradle...hopefully that will fix it!
Attached Images

Last edited by PMJ; 06-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Vibration Troubleshooting

So looks my 10 rib pulley kit is causing me some problems...primarily because I didn't have the right tools for the job (I'm buying a press this week). I previously mentioned i broke my water pump putting on the new pulley, now i found one of my vibrations was my alternator (another victom of using a hammer - yes i feel stupid now).

Should have new alternator early this week and with help of a torch and press, hopefully i won't break this one.

Once i get it all back together and tuned, I may try to go back to the Pfadt motor mounts.

Good news is my clutch is broke in, so once i'm up and running, change my pulley to 3.5", tune and I should be good to go. Unless i had more than 1 vibration...

Next step will be building my race tune w/ 3" pulley on shell URT 110 race fuel.

Hope to have some sound/video soon.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

New Alternator is in! What a pita for an alternator...had to remove the radiator fans, which ment lowering the antifreeze level to remove the upper hose as well as removing the whipple intercooler tank, but got it all taken care of and i'm back on the road.

Now i think i'm ready for a smaller pulley and tuning! Once i get my street tune down with the 3.5" pulley, then off to my race tune w/the 3" pulley.

BTW, i ordered a ZL1 rear end conversion kit today! Expect it to be here this weekend.

More to come...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

3.5" Pulley Installed

I installed my 3.5" pulley tonight and started tuning. She is pulling harder than ever! I can't wait to get her on the dyno and see what she does. I'm seeing about 11 PSI of boost...I think that means i'll max out at ~15 PSI of boost with the Whipple at 18,000 rpm (it's peak output).

I was hoping for 18+ PSI, but i guess between the heads and cam, that is out of the question for my 2.9L Whipple. But i'm still expecting 800+ rwhp...we'll see.

I'm still having some issues with my AC belt (ATI sent me the Damper for the Camaro Copo which the back pulley is for the alternator vs. the AC). I don't think it is quite lined up right as my belt is squeaking and it's shreading . I'm hoping they send me the AC pulley soon, but that means pulling the damper (de ja vu ).

I'm still seeing a little vibration in the drive train at 4500-5000 rpm... going to have to get some others to drive it and see what they think...possibly related to the new clutch .

It was a blast opening her up tonight (no vibration at WOT). Hope to have a video to share soon.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I think I’ve solved the vibration. I inadvertently pulled apart my stock drive shaft when reinstalling the transmission. I took it apart today and found where there is a mark on the transmission side of the shaft and 2 lines on the U joint on the diff side of the shaft. Lined those up and now my ride is much smoother!

I finally got a little exhaust sound clip. My car is awfully dirty…have to take her to the car wash tomorrow.

My last issue is to get the AC belt to stop squeaking…

More tuning and dyno yet to come. Once I master the 3.5” pulley tune, then off to the 3”. Then i'll have to update my sig!

Last edited by PMJ; 04-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Blown & Cammed LS3
Wow now that's a build, great job man loving what's going on here
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Great build! That thing sounds like it wants to eat someone.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behic2320 View Post
Wow now that's a build, great job man loving what's going on here
Thanks. And I love your sig pic! Almost missed that awesome looking car in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
Great build! That thing sounds like it wants to eat someone.
Thanks. I can't wait to bring her to the dyno and then on to the track!

So i temporarily fixed my AC belt squeeking with some old fashon soap. (Yes i know that reduces friction, but the AC is working and squeek is gone.) I'm hoping the belt issue i had was a fluke, it only split in one area and the new belt hasn't had an issue yet. ATI is now saying the AC pully is 17% underdrive to not steal HP....hmmm, I'm OK with that as long as the AC works and belt doesn't squeek!

I'm also still waiting on a new length 10 rib belt...the one i have now is a hair too long for the 3.5 pulley (although i'm using it), and one size smaller is too small for the 3". My friends at Whipple are going to get a 12 rib in the right length and trim it to a 10 rib for me. Have I mentioned how great Mike is at Whipple? Great guy to work with!

BTW, most of my ZL1 rear kit showed up...missing drive shaft and trans flange nut...

Now that my car is running and vibration free, waiting on the final pieces to fall into place is so much easier!

Attached Images

Last edited by PMJ; 04-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I picked up my missing parts for my ZL1 rear today, and I hope to install it on Sunday.

In the mean time, planning to dyno tomorrow and head to the track on Saturday! I don't have the belt and tune i need for my 3" pulley, so just going to run w/my street tune (3.5"). Hope i don't break my stock drive train the day before i change it out .
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I love your build! And I completely agree with you about working on your own car. I started working on mine shortly after i got it in June 2012, and I've learned so much and I'm loving every minute of it! Awesome job, keep up the great work!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
stryker755

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert AGM
The cam sounds killer, awesome build
-2010 2SS/RS Silver Ice M6 TVS2300 700HP (SOLD)
-2010 2SS Aqua Blue M6 Stock (SOLD)
-1986 Sport Coupe Gray Built 355 (SOLD)
stryker755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Dyno Day!

Thanks for the complements.

So my i'm still waiting on a 10 rib belt to be custom built for me so i can try out my 3" pulley, but I couldn't wait any longer...so off to the dyno with my "street" pulley (3.5" @ 11#) after work today.

I got over my minimum goal of 700 by 4 hp. My 3rd and final pull I ended up at 704 rwhp @ 653# torque @ 5950 rpm @ 18 degrees of timing (9.9:1 compression).

This was on 93 octain and meth. I'm planning to add Shell URT at the track tomorrow for extra protection (more than 50/50), and then i'll back my street tune down a few degrees of timing for safety (so my street tune will settle around 675 rwhp).

I'm not sure why, but boost started falling off around 6000 rpm...no signs of belt slipage (although my current belt is a little longer than i would like it). Current theory is the car is pushing a lot more air through and the SC couldn't keep up .

Can't wait to see what that 3" can do...i'm hoping it holds the boost through atleast 6500 rpm.

The dyno chart shows last octobers pull with my best one today (the Oct was prior to motor rebuild, cam, heads & meth). Video as well, even though dyno videos aren't all that exciting.

Attached Images

Last edited by PMJ; 04-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.