Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
DCCAM
Northwest Austin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/A6/IBM
Race or Not to Race? There's only one honest answer...

I wanted to recount an event last night as a reminder for us parents out there...

So I pull up to an 4-way intersection on a somewhat-busy four lane FM road outside of Houston on Friday night. Next to me was a late-model Mustang GT...engine being revved up-and-down and up-and-down, obviously trying to draw my attention.

My 10 year old son looks over at me from the passenger seat and said, "Dad, I think this guy wants to race you." I look through the tinted passenger window and see this punk kid behind the wheel of the Mustang - all smiles and saying something to us - and waving his hand out the window as if to invite me to play his game. I also noticed the three other kids he had in his car.

My son REALLY wanted to see his dad teach this kid a lesson (and I am confident I could have). To be honest, I thought about it for a fleeting second. But no. My son was in the car - and this punk kid (who was at this point desperate to teach me a lesson with HIS daddy's car) had a car full of other minors. This was not the time to be stupid.

So I rolled down the window and told the pimply-faced kid "not tonight, I have my kid in the car". He laughed at me and so did his friends. (Boy I really wanted to show him then!) But when the light turned green, I yielded and restrained my foot - and this kid blew off the line - only to miss his second gear - and then I hear him grinding daddy's transmission into oblivion. We pass him doing a mild 0-60 in 8 seconds. As we passed, I noticed his laughter had turned to embarrassment.

The lesson here is that although we each have these beautiful and powerful Camaros that can poor on the smoke to outwit and outplay our Ford friends, we should be mindful that it is sometimes better to be responsible and live to fight another day...

Since I have purchased my Camaro, I have had LOTS of these type of moments (while just going to get some groceries) - with kids and adults pulling up next to me and itching for a race to show me up. I am sure you all have experienced similar events since buying your Camaros. I love a good race, and I am up for it - right time, right place, and with the right people involved. Not with kids involved, and certainly not on a busy road around other drivers.

Be responsible...not stupid. Quiet confidence is sometimes the only thing we really need to show. Racing on busy streets doesn't prove anything...and certainly doesn't do much for daddy's transmission!
DCCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Very well said... Sometimes it's really tough to do the right thing....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
wise decision.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
very well said and that must have taken a lot of self control!! However i still have not found this self control ))
Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
It's stories like this that make me wonder why manual transmissions are so popular around here...
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
What's nice about Vegas, they have Midnight Mayhem at the drag strip. You just pay $10 and can race without having to do it on the street. Plus you get
a time slip to show how fast your car really is. I haven't had any one want to race me on the street yet. It would be hard to control myself, but if my families in the car, than no way I would race.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
I don't street race... good way to land in jail and the car hauled off to an impound lot.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Good job! Great way to teach the correct lesson to your son.
I'm proud of you!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
Great Job!!
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well done!

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I can't tell you how many times I've WANTED to do it, but it's just not worth the risk. Someday I'll get to the track.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR BEE View Post
What's nice about Vegas, they have Midnight Mayhem at the drag strip. You just pay $10 and can race without having to do it on the street. Plus you get
a time slip to show how fast your car really is. I haven't had any one want to race me on the street yet. It would be hard to control myself, but if my families in the car, than no way I would race.

Just love your car!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks bad a$$
Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
LazyYoYo
Yep, that just happened.

Drives: Norma Jean, '10 Black 1SS/RS
Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
BMR Stage 1
JRE Tune
LazyYoYo is offline   Reply With Quote